Looking for a system upgrade (if possible)

All things NVA
wackyraces
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Looking for a system upgrade (if possible)

Unread post by wackyraces »

I'm considering upgrading my current system (well possibly just the amp to be honest) - and I appreciate that NVA can build real Hi-Fi in the UK ... I am easy in terms of the sound signature I am looking for and in summary I am looking for "beguiling" for want of a better word.

I mostly listen to Jazz, Folk, and would love the sound to be seductive - tons of air - immersive - beautiful - captivating - if that makes sense.

Normally when you are looking for that 'sound signature' one is led to Class A Single Ended Valve amplification (if affordable).

If NVA doesn't present sound that way we can establish this here an now rather than waste time trying NVA's lovely amp(s) on offer.

I mainly stream music from Qobuz - sometimes put on a little low res Internet Radio Swiss Jazz etc. if I want to be fed music randomly.

Other considerations are Sugden A21a (the signature is the latest guise of the A21) - but again expensive (for me) - but by having pure Class A in the system may spell magic - I don't know.

Either way - knowing my taste - does the cool running NVA fit the bill?
System: AURALiC Mini - SPS DAC 3 - NVA P50sa / Croft 7 - Role Audio Enterprise

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Looking for a system upgrade (if possible)

Unread post by savvypaul »

Here's a review by a guy who usually uses (and builds his own) single-ended triode amps...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0104/ ... 1605524248

He was not paid, in any way, for the review, and we give no money in advertising to the WAM forum.

Another guy has recently sold his Audio Note gear to buy P50SA / S150.

Bottom line is... you try, you likey, you buy. You no likey, you send back for refund. And, if you use Klarna (option at checkout) you can buy now pay later with no fees - so it's like a free audition, all it costs you is the return shipping.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I'd be looking to change the speakers first - for best sound quality.
Away from low efficiency slimline ported / transmission line speakers.

To medium efficiency sealed box speakers with 12" or bigger woofers. Or to high efficiency designs.

This would be at the expense of losing the fashionable slimline looks of the Role Audio Enterprise speakers. Which is something that you may not want to do...

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Lindsayt wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:51 pm I'd be looking to change the speakers first - for best sound quality.

To medium efficiency sealed box speakers with 12" or bigger woofers. Or to high efficiency designs.

This would be at the expense of losing the fashionable slimline looks of the Role Audio Enterprise speakers. Which is something that you may not want to do...
I was about to say the exact same, but saw that the Roles do use a very simple first order crossover, so I eased off a bit :lol:
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
Lindsayt (Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:37 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Its an impossible question to answer without you sitting down infront of a system.
Ive heard many many different amps, ive built countless valve amps, i have an nva a20/p20, a nelson pass f5, plus some japanese amps from the 70s and 80s. The closest ive come to a 'sumptuous' sound is from an amp using el34s that i built a few years ago and i could never get it to sound quite right. A rotel ra211 (i think) from the late sixties early 70s was fairly close to that description. My f5 and the nva combo are not sumptuous, the f5 certainly isnt, but they are both much more to my taste. And it is a matter of taste. Id see if there was anyone local who you could ask to go and listen to their system to get a feel for what it is you're after.
Once you can quantify that, then stick the hand in the pocket
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

wackyraces
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by wackyraces »

Lindsayt wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:51 pm I'd be looking to change the speakers first - for best sound quality.

You could have a point there - although this review of my slimline speakers would suggest otherwise ...

https://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/ ... rprise.htm

Quoting from the review:
Sensitivity is a specified 90dB/W/m at 8 Ohms with a minimum load of 4.5 Ohms.
The speakers always seemed to present an easy load to the amplifier and were as happy with Class A single-ended as they were with heavy duty Class AB solid state.

It's almost an ideal combo - slimline - room friendly - and easy going on amps too.

If possible I would like to keep these speakers because they are so easy to accommodate and easy on the eye.
System: AURALiC Mini - SPS DAC 3 - NVA P50sa / Croft 7 - Role Audio Enterprise

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

wackyraces wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:41 pm

You could have a point there - although this review of my slimline speakers would suggest otherwise ...

https://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/ ... rprise.htm

Quoting from the review:
Sensitivity is a specified 90dB/W/m at 8 Ohms with a minimum load of 4.5 Ohms.
The speakers always seemed to present an easy load to the amplifier and were as happy with Class A single-ended as they were with heavy duty Class AB solid state.

It's almost an ideal combo - slimline - room friendly - and easy going on amps too.

If possible I would like to keep these speakers because they are so easy to accommodate and easy on the eye.
I've skimmed that review. It appears to be one of those "everything is awesome" reviews. With it not being directly compared to any reference speakers that could be bought for under $3000 in 2006.

This is one of those times when I'd recommend some comparative listening tests. Or taking a punt on something that you can either return for a full refund or sell on for a sligtly higher price.
With the take a punt approach it's a Darwinian survival of the fittest. Whatever sounds best stays. If 2 items sound about equally good, the cheapest stays.

Used and DIY offers the best value for money in speakers.

There's nothing to stop you changing the speakers and the power amp.

It'd be nice to get you something you're really happy with that is highly affordable. Maybe better sounding speakers that cost you less than what you could sell your Enterprises for?

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

wackyraces wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:30 pm ... I am easy in terms of the sound signature I am looking for and in summary I am looking for "beguiling" for want of a better word.

I mostly listen to Jazz, Folk, and would love the sound to be seductive - tons of air - immersive - beautiful - captivating - if that makes sense.
I have been using NVA amps for over 35 years and have heard a lot of other gear along the way - but keep coming back to that Nene Valley sound.

My music tastes are wide and varied (ask anyone here) and these amplifiers play any and every style of music with equal ease and transparency. Basically capturing the character of reproduction described above.

Many 'high-end' amplifiers are designed primarily to impress. NVA equipment is designed to play music.
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post:
Latteman (Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:20 am)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450