Phono stages

All things NVA
ChrisNeil
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Phono stages

Unread post by ChrisNeil »

Quick background - I have had Naim kit for a number of years and was never really happy with the sound but having made a lot of mistakes in the past ££££ was reluctant to dip into "new "stuff". Anyway, I was fortunate to meet a friend of my wife's who spent a fair bit of time trying to help me with set up etc - I came to the conclusion I simply didnt like the Naim sound but was reluctant to admit it.

Having had some good chats with my wife's friend who got to understand the "sound" I was looking for, (I am not in the market for spending mega bucks but was afraid of repeating mistakes of the past). Anyway, I took the plunge and spoke to Paul and sold my Naim amps and phono stage and invested in the NVA amps and sold the Naim kit.

I appreciate and accept the limitations of my system for the time being....

Anyway, again :| I have about 800 or so albums which I have not played for ages as quite simply I could not listen to it without getting fatigued and every session just left me more dissapointed. In the last couple of months I have not played a CD and my vinyl has had more excercise than it had in the last 3 years. That speaks volumes and I am delighted with my decision and am listening to music again, which after all, is what its all about isnt it ?

Phono stages - I have been reading up and see a lot of critisicsm of them being overpriced for "whats in the box". So the question is, what audible gains would I get from investing in an NVA phono stage? It would probably be the P1 as I would find it difficult to justify the expense of the P2 given the limitations of my current TT, (or am i wrong)?

I am not a "techy" and to be honest not that interested in "whats in the box" but more interested in audible gains.

Sorry for the rambling post

Chris
Tweaked Rega RP3 - Sumiko Moonstone/Dynavector10x5
Rega Fono Mk5/ TTPSU
Naim CD5X
NVA S150
NVA P50 Mk 2
NVA LS3
Epos M15 speakers
NVA LS3 speaker cable
Teufel streamer

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Phono stages

Unread post by CN211276 »

I do not play much vinyl but when I had the chance to buy a used NVA phono 1, at very low cost, some years ago I jumped at it. I was astounded at the difference it made. Previously I had used the phono input of integrated amplifiers. My low opinion of vinyl changed and I have had to spend quite a bit on my digital source (Mscaler) to significantly better it. My TT is a 1983 vintage Rega 3 with S shaped arm. The cartridge is a Denon high output MC. If you are serious about vinyl you need to hear the NVA phono 1.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

If you can, try a Phono 1 & a Phono 2 in your system. And decide for yourself as to which is best for you.

Look out for used deals. As well as any sale items. You already have a working phono amp. So it's not like there's any mega hurry.

And look out for deals on alternative turntables. If something comes up at the right price, take a punt on it.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
ChrisNeil (Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:46 am)

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Get the best phonostage you can afford, don't underestimate it's importance, in your shoes I'd go for the Phono 2 with the option of upgrading by adding a 2nd power supply at a later date. I have always been very happy with my Phono 2 with two ps, one tip keep the stage and ps as far away from each other as possible, they do come with long connecting leads.
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
Lindsayt (Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:39 am)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

antonio66 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:01 am Get the best phonostage you can afford, don't underestimate it's importance, in your shoes I'd go for the Phono 2 with the option of upgrading by adding a 2nd power supply at a later date. I have always been very happy with my Phono 2 with two ps, one tip keep the stage and ps as far away from each other as possible, they do come with long connecting leads.
We now make the P2 with 2 supplies (120va per channel) in one box: https://nvahifi.co.uk/products/nva-p2-phono-pre-amp-mc
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
antonio66 (Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:26 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

The P1 is very good at the price, and it is a long way ahead of the Rega Fono, to my ears - I owned the Fono about 6 years ago. The P2 is a big, big jump in performance, again. Whenever I have demonstrated them together, the credit card has always appeared within 10 minutes for the P2! 8-)
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 2):
Lindsayt (Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:38 am) • NSNO2021 (Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:43 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

It is all about power supplies.
As a victim of having heard the difference between the P1 and P2 (and the old debit card having suffered as a result!) I can confirm that while the P1 was a huge step up from what I had before (an ickle Pro-ject thingy,) the P2 gives you a bit more again. One of them is definitely worth a punt with a 30 day trial, and let your own ears decide.
These users thanked the author CycleCoach for the post:
Lindsayt (Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:29 pm)
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

ChrisNeil
Great Britain

Thank you for all your replies; no one knows you better than yourself and if I hear a P2 I know I will buy it. It is just whether my system justifies the cost but as you say try before you buy is great.

Ponders.......
Rega Fono Mk5/ TTPSU
Naim CD5X
NVA S150
NVA P50 Mk 2
NVA LS3
Epos M15 speakers
NVA LS3 speaker cable
Teufel streamer

ChrisNeil
Great Britain

Lindsayt wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:04 pm If you can, try a Phono 1 & a Phono 2 in your system. And decide for yourself as to which is best for you.

Look out for used deals. As well as any sale items. You already have a working phono amp. So it's not like there's any mega hurry.

And look out for deals on alternative turntables. If something comes up at the right price, take a punt on it.
I have only just started playing vinyl again as I hated it with Naim - i have looked at a few TT's but see no point in getting another Rega as I don't believe there is any VFM - TT's are ridiculous prices due I suppose to the resurgence in interest in Vinyl - any suggestion that won't involve divorce proceedings :grin:
Rega Fono Mk5/ TTPSU
Naim CD5X
NVA S150
NVA P50 Mk 2
NVA LS3
Epos M15 speakers
NVA LS3 speaker cable
Teufel streamer

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

ChrisNeil wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:38 am Thank you for all your replies; no one knows you better than yourself and if I hear a P2 I know I will buy it. It is just whether my system justifies the cost but as you say try before you buy is great.

Ponders.......
It does justify a P2- but u would also be ok with a P1
Peter
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources