Oh My God, What Have I done!?

All things NVA
TheRealAleman
Wales

Oh My God, What Have I done!?

Unread post by TheRealAleman »

Ok so not posted much (anything) since joining and introducing myself a year ago.

I had a small windfall drop through my letterbox (and at the same time a rather rude reminder of how old I am :o :o :o ) After a very short discussion with my financial advisor, I was "allowed" to spend "Some" of it on Hi-Fi upgrades.

So, a quick visit to Brian and Trevor at House of Linn in Manchester relieved me of £4K (Karousel, Kore Sub-Chassis, Lingo IV PSU, and an Akito/3B) I did manage to say no to the offer of an Ex-Dem Krystal MC cartridge for a silly price. Which having another pension letter drop through the door subsequently, I am now regretting :doh: :cry: :cry: :cry:

So on to amplification, Trevor had cunningly demo'd the various Linn changes through a Naim Stack (Stageline, NAC-282, and NAP-250 DR), which if I'm honest sounded wonderfully open, detailed and musical, playing the Jazz tracks I'd taken with amazing delicacy. At the same time it drove the NWCBHM forward with power and control ... Impressive but at that price (Almost £11K!!!!) it was what I would have expected TBBH. While I'm wanting to go with a British Pre Power combination ideally that is just not an option ... Even the little SuperNait 3 Integrated is over £3 grand.

Then I thought back to the Little Black plastic boxes with the Gold lettering ... Hmmm??? At just short of a grand the starter system is a bargain, just need to add a Phono Stage. :think: :think: :think: Well, it would be a significant upgrade to the Cambridge Audio Azure 640A that I'm currently heating the house with. Then I made the mistake of clicking on the Ex-Dem tab on the website ... A pair of M300 mono :drool: :drool: :drool: blocks for £1750, bargain!, but of course you would really need the P50 in its SA spec as a partner ... :think: :think: ... Have a chat session with Paul, yeah that wasn't a good idea, ended up ordering P1 phono amp, P50SA Mk II Pre Amp, S300 Power Amp, and interconnects. Just decided to pass on the M300's, my Oberon 5's do not present a difficult load so the extra power of the M300's isn't warranted.

Then, in my facebook feed Up pops a post regarding the Forum Specials M160's for only £800 a pair!!! Paul, Hold the build!!! ... Oh wait I don't meet the qualifications :( I pick the Linn up on Tuesday, The amplification is scheduled for build WC 28th Nov, and Delivery WC 5th Dec :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: I hope that I enjoy the sound as much as I did from the Naim

Still, those M160s though :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: Now just how fast can I reach 100 posts :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
These users thanked the author TheRealAleman for the post (total 4):
slinger (Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:48 pm) • antonio66 (Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:16 am) • CycleCoach (Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:34 am) • Hemmo1969 (Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:29 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Oh My God, What Have I done!?

Unread post by karatestu »

Well, you can't take it with you. No point being the richest man in the graveyard :grin:

Hope it brings you lots of enjoyment and late nights. :guiness;
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
TheRealAleman (Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:22 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

No Naims, no pack drill....

:guiness;

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I bet House of Linn didn't have one of these in full working condition on demo against their LP12 bits and pieces:

Yours for £6.5k ish depending on shipping costs, import duties and cost of a transformer or transformer conversion. And likely to have zero depreciation, with a good chance of appreciation.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284929798003 ... R_yzzMCVYQ
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post (total 2):
CN211276 (Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:44 am) • TheRealAleman (Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:56 am)

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

@Lindsayt I'll bet they didn't. :lol:
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
Lindsayt (Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:31 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

LP12 bashing is a bit of a sport round here. Sometimes I join in and then remember I've bloody got one somewhere in the depths of a cupboard. :grin:

I do intend to get it going eventually and compare to the PL-71.

What is the penalty round here if I end up preferring the fruitbox? 20 lashings, a stoning, crucifixion?
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
CN211276 (Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:48 am)
DIY FREE ZONE

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

karatestu wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:44 am LP12 bashing is a bit of a sport round here. Sometimes I join in and then remember I've bloody got one somewhere in the depths of a cupboard. :grin:

I do intend to get it going eventually and compare to the PL-71.

What is the penalty round here if I end up preferring the fruitbox? 20 lashings, a stoning, crucifixion?
Glad to say I never fell for the :Bllocks: after hearing one in a comparison. The knashing of the dealers teeth was louder than the music. :lol:
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

TheRealAleman
Wales

Lindsayt wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:57 am I bet House of Linn didn't have one of these in full working condition on demo against their LP12 bits and pieces:
Truly a thing of beauty, although for me, after a couple of bad experiences, I just can't bring myself to "trust" direct drive. Even though things have improved greatly since the 70's

Now a Thorens 122 Mk II, or a Garrard 301/401 in those wonderful new wooden chassis yes I could see myself lusting after one of those ... She on the other hand would kill me! (being a trained chemist with the key to the poisons cabinet, who would know?? :D )

TheRealAleman
Wales

karatestu wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:44 am LP12 bashing is a bit of a sport round here.
Bash away, it's a turntable at the end of the day :D The thing is, our ears are all individually tuned, what to one person sounds like the "Absolute Dogs :Bllocks: " can sound "meh" to another person ... I find listening to digital "fatiguing, less so with "HD" sources, and yes I'm away that the vast majority of music is mastered digitally nowadays. Other people love digital, me, I save it for the car :D
These users thanked the author TheRealAleman for the post:
CycleCoach (Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:35 am)

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

My name's Mark and I own an LP12.
These users thanked the author CycleCoach for the post (total 4):
TheRealAleman (Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:12 am) • Latteman (Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:40 pm) • antonio66 (Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:30 pm) • guydarryl (Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:13 pm)
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)