How much 😶

All general audio posts go here.
NSNO2021
Great Britain

How much 😶

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

As I am semi retired I have bit more time to let my mind wander and this often results in me experimenting with aspects of my numerous hobbies.
After hearing the benefits of using a constrained layer damping (CLD) methodology when redesigning my 1992 Cubix I turned my attention to further isolating my TT from any vibration (internal/external). That led to me making and fitting CLD spacers under the tonearm and the interface between the cartridge and the headshell, this provided subtle but none the less tangeable benefits.
Before you know it I have made at least half a dozen prototype record mats, most were better than the stock Rega 2mn felt mat. Next step finds me researching high tech sheet material for record mats. I started with the well known stuff like Sorbothane and after countless hours of searching the web I found what looked like the perfect material and the bonus was in came as standard in sheets just a bit bigger than a TT platter. Excited I contacted the company, explained I wanted to buy one sheet to just to see if it helped. They were helpful and after a few emails my quote has just arrived. It is for one 2mm thick sheet measuring 300 x 420mm and get this ~~~ it's £180 plus vat on a 12 week lead time.
I am stunned, this a standard item from their catalogue, how can it cost that much ??? As it already exists someone must be using it but who buys this stuff and what are they making that requires such an expensive material. Answers on a postcard to the usual address 🥴
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

TheMarlin
Great Britain

Re: How much 😶

Unread post by TheMarlin »

You can get it cheaper, you just have to buy a lot of it. They’re probably more used to selling tonnes of the stuff per order.

There is some here cheaper. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293024070075

I use a felt/cork/felt sandwhich from Iceni. Does the job very well.
Modded Belles A150 MK2, P90SA, & NVA SSP cables, and LS5.
Leak Stereo 20 & First Audio Classic Copper V2
Modded Lenco GL75 with Saturn arm, heavy custom plinth. Nagaoka MP500.
Nottingham Audio Hyperspace + heavy kit, + Origin Live Conqueror + Koetsu Black
Tom Evans Micro Grove MK2 MC phono
Bluesound Node2i (x2) both with latest power upgrades.
Topping D90MQA and Topping D90SE
Audiolab 6000 CDT transport.
All NVA cables

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

nilsatisnisioptimum wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:44 am
and after countless hours of searching the web I found what looked like the perfect material and the bonus was in came as standard in sheets just a bit bigger than a TT platter.
Can you tell us what this potentially wonder material is please ?

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

NSNO2021
Great Britain

valvesRus wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:20 am
nilsatisnisioptimum wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:44 am
and after countless hours of searching the web I found what looked like the perfect material and the bonus was in came as standard in sheets just a bit bigger than a TT platter.
Can you tell us what this potentially wonder material is please ?
According to their blurb its as follows:-

Ultra-soft TPS for reducing structure borne vibrations and shock absorption. High vibration isolation and shock control for
lightweight component enclosures. Silicone free with no molecular siloxane gas.
Disk drives and other light components often need very soft vibration and shock mounting solutions due to their low
weight. Ideal for making HDD surrounds, isolating enclosures for light components or moulding into fan gaskets. This highly
damped silicone free gel offers an alternative to traditional foam and rubber sheet damping, and offers low distortion.
It is easy to cut your desired shape from the sheet. For higher volume applications this material can be provided in custom
made sizes and shapes.

TPS = ultra-soft thermoplastic elastomers (TPEs)
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

NSNO2021
Great Britain

TheMarlin wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:36 am You can get it cheaper, you just have to buy a lot of it. They’re probably more used to selling tonnes of the stuff per order.

There is some here cheaper. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293024070075

I use a felt/cork/felt sandwhich from Iceni. Does the job very well.
Unfortunately thats 3mm and I require 2mm material but thanks for the link