Hi-Fi Pics.

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Hi-Fi Pics.

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

southall-1998 wrote: So, what is this Malcolm Steward like, Andrew? Is he another miserable git like the rest of us on here :mrgreen:

S.
He has a permanent bad back so is about as grumpy and miserable as they get. Bad backs can be horrific especially if you can't get rid of them. To balance it his wife is a ray of sunshine, very nice personality.

Andrew
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

His pic, the old one with the cigarette, always made him look like a grumpy sort. Now I know why :D

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Jimmy and I had a great friendship (and probably still would if we met up again), although marriages and for me, family, took my interests elsewhere. He was always most convincing in his 'Beltism' and he could get good sounds out of all sorts of tat I recall. I very much enjoyed taking my 'hifi' friends down to his place for the day - loads of great banter and good music, although I didn't always go along with his wackier ideals. When he turned his Impulse speakers inwards to the wall (at 45 degrees) I thought the sound hideous, especially as we'd just heard a live jazz gig in the Barbican foyer, but he just didn't seem to get it.

You know, I don't know if he ever tried them, but the Allison and NVA cube-style speakers would probably have sounded great in his bi-level listening room, as he was one who could get really nice sounds from Isobariks, which obviously liked his room...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I always thought he was a fearless character and I really enjoyed his antics and ideas. I could guarantee his pages were the first thing I read and his recommendations in the Q&Absection were often refreshingly off the wall. He was spot on about damping in speakers too.

A lot of the things he rated at the time have come my way over the years and not a single one I can recall has disappointed. He was somebody who never seemed to care what something cost, if it worked, it worked. He also suggested free tweaks, which often seemed to go against the grain of the mag.

I did try Impulses facing backwards some time ago. It didn't do a lot in my room either,but at least he tried such things :D

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Andrew wrote:I always thought he was a fearless character and I really enjoyed his antics and ideas. I could guarantee his pages were the first thing I read and his recommendations in the Q&Absection were often refreshingly off the wall. He was spot on about damping in speakers too.

A lot of the things he rated at the time have come my way over the years and not a single one I can recall has disappointed. He was somebody who never seemed to care what something cost, if it worked, it worked. He also suggested free tweaks, which often seemed to go against the grain of the mag.

I did try Impulses facing backwards some time ago. It didn't do a lot in my room either,but at least he tried such things :D
There aren't many things about the mags I remember fondly, but quite a bit of JMHs musings still brings a smile.

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

Tony Moore wrote: SqueezeBox Receiver into the DAC case and connected it via I2S to the DAC chip. It does the job.
Don't tell anyone,but you probably have the best sounding and most convenient system out of all of us. :clap: :shifty: :mrgreen:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

wallace wrote:
Tony Moore wrote: SqueezeBox Receiver into the DAC case and connected it via I2S to the DAC chip. It does the job.
Don't tell anyone,but you probably have the best sounding and most convenient system out of all of us. :clap: :shifty: :mrgreen:
Quite possibly Wallace - But just what the hell is it exactly......Im a digital numpty. :think:

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

Might be best if you stick with vinyl and an old german motorcycle,you know where you are with them.. :lol: Seriously thou' a squeezebox is a little computer that can play everything you own and a load of stuff you don't.. :think:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

It's been a bit since we had some pics so here's the little Tma3

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

And in a nod to Mr Steward, the lovely SBL. My mate still has this pair I sold him.