Class D Amp

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Class D Amp

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

All I can say is *every* single one I have heard makes my ears do the aural equiv of going crosseyed. Orchestras aren't playing together, rhythm sections in groups / bands seem disjointed, it *feels* like I am listening to a caricature of the original music.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Devilats have digital processing , the technology is beyond my comprehension , but they are not straightforward amplifiers in the conventional sense

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

BUT they are Class D and Class D has inherent problems with the design technology that CANNOT be removed, no matter what bullshit is invented by their marketing dept.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Well they seem to have something , DSJR liked it , Joes got one and now I see Fox has got one . They aint bloody cheap either . ;)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

We have had this before in hi-fi. It is superficial, as I said to Dave for most people not musicians they sound fine until directly compared side by side with an amp not doing it. That is why I told him to take the AP20 with him then he would know what I am talking about. If it was Gromit he would spot it straight away with no need for comparison because he is a musician.

Class D is why I talk about good hi-fi amps and good musical amps - some Class D probably inc this Devel are good hi-fi amps, but screw the music into a caricature. Good for lovers of Dire Straights :mrgreen: the classic flat earth system did something similar in terms of musical change but differently. The same as you have people stuck in the flat earth brainwash, so this is becoming the same sort of thing.

Midrange clarity and sweetness is like a drug it draws you in and some people ignore everything else, I find some valve amp enthusiasts like this as well. In the case of valves it is the output transformers that screw the phase. In class D it is how the music is sampled to create the PWM.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

So far, at the 3 bake-offs I've attended that have included a class D amp, it's been the class D that's lost every time. 2 of those were matchbox sized T amps, the other was a Bel Canto Evo. Maybe one day I'll go to a bake-off where a class D amp wins against a Class A or a Class A/B? Maybe that day will never happen?

Anyone with a Devialet fancy baking that off against one of my amps?

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

I've looked at the Devialet website. Don't go with the 'eat shit, a million flies can't be wrong' sell.

[Edit] and I still think they're styled like bathroom scales.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It is snob ridden marketing campaign Terry, and on the forums as well. Their target is Naim.

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Dievialet absolute fuking Tat (All be it bling Tat)....How much.
This is rip of pricing to rival Naim & Linn etc.

Devialet 110
£4,490 or £5,490 with AIR wireless 110W per channel

Devialet 170
£6,390 or £7,390 with AIR wireless 170W per channel

Devialet 240
From £11,800 or £20,900 for dual mono package 240W per channel or 500W in dual mono

The Cheeky French Monkey's..... :obscene-moneypiss:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

And a Cass D circuit is very easy and cheap to produce, no big transformers, no big heatsinks, most of the circuit is on chips. This whole range is a serious snob and bling ridden rip-off.