Arkless / Cambs Audio 640p phono stage

All general audio posts go here.
Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: Arkless / Cambs Audio 640p phono stage

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:25 pm MC, I am still thinking about it, more comment please.
I am in agreement with your original thought, you should have no contact with it. If you chose to accept it in part exchange do as you suggested and get it delivered to a member you trust and go from there.

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Ithilstone »

I am with Geoff.R.G - do not touch it - have it send to others if you want but make sure it never comes anywhere near you - you will still be accused of messing with it though I am sure or asking somebody else to mess it up on purpose...
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

In all seriousness, don't bother with it. Let Jez summon up the guts to start sending his loan unit to bake-offs, for himself. In the meantime, people can make up their own minds about his refusal to do so.
I am in the hi-fi trade

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I am told now by the owner it is MM/MC with switch.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I don't think you stand to gain anything from dragging his equipment through the mire. Forget it. If anyone chooses to buy one of his stages without taking up your 30 day trial more fool them, let them live with it. The fact that he refuses to make it available for bake-off Should provide all the proof anyone would need that it can't hold it's own against your gear.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The point is that there are none available for comparison or Bake-Off. So he can tell what ever lies he likes, and is doing it.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:02 pm The point is that there are none available for comparison or Bake-Off. So he can tell what ever lies he likes, and is doing it.
His refusal to send his loan unit for bake-offs tells it's own story...he only wants it compared to the stock Cambridge unit. Comparison to NVA has been done by members here and the results have been conclusive; the Arkless is not in the same league.

I'm all for showing him up, but he's doing a grand job of that himself, as it is.
I am in the hi-fi trade

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

I think it should be compared. If some of the non tech members try it I think most will take their comments as genuine. I am not prepared to assume it is crap on the say so of others and have actually heard it in a system that produced a fairly decent mid-fi sound using an SL1200 with Rega arm (Scalford). How else are we going to counteract the claims made on AOS which some uninformed people may believe. So many buy based on forum bias and myth.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

I side with the don't touch it school of thought - no mater how you go about any "trade deal" there will be people who will twist any outcome of an unfavourable report (one of the Doc's stooges... blah blah blah). You don't need the "aggro"

Let the current owner try to sell on ebay ~£150 (I checked a recent sale price on this) or get him to offer it on AOS - could go for more on there given the high regard that his designs are held in on AOS.
The owner could give his reason for selling as "trading up to NVA phono"

(Just thought of an alternative - you could adapt it to work with a better power supply)
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

So you want to sit back and let the AOS dissers win?
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)