a couple of turntable restorations

All general audio posts go here.
Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Re: a couple of turntable restorations

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

No worries stu, it'll get done when it gets done

There are many many things more important :mrgreen:
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

More stuff done.
To make it more user friendly I made an arm lift/lowerer thing
Bits

ImageCx unipivot arm lift/lower by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

The cylinder is the body obviously, the spring is out of a pen, just cut down to the right size. The lever is simple enough, there is are 2 cuts machined into the large part that goes through the body so that it keys onto the piston part. The L shaped end is what it keys on. The bar has had 3 quarters cut out so that when the lever goes up it raises the piston against the spring and locks in the upward position at the top of travel.
the groove in the piston is there to retain the silicone grease for damping the lowering.
The piston locks the lift bar in place so it cant come out without pulling the top of the piston up to release it. the curved bit is the bit that lifts the arm. Just some 3mm acrylic.

Assembled

the other two holes are the mounting points to attach it to the arm outrigger
Like this

The setscrew needs to be shorter, but is fine for now

It works fine, feels a bit gritty because of the surface finish inside the housing. I should have bored it rather than just drilling it out, then it would have felt smoother, but I can live with that.

Took some working out how to make one and have it lock into position, It would have been handy if I had one off something to look at, but i havent got any arms with one on......

quite pleased with it
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post (total 4):
Firebug1 (Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:24 pm) • thebhoyricky (Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:42 pm) • antonio66 (Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:00 am) • Toontrev (Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:49 pm)
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

r3xj0hn570n
Norfolk Island

Unread post by r3xj0hn570n »

Awesome. I can offer photos of a disassembled Jelco lift if that is of any use to you for the future.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Thanks for the offer, i should be ok though i scribbled up some drawings of the bits as i was making them if i want to make another one

Cheers ant

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Off topic. I've got several dismantled arm rests (jelco and rega) I'm I right in thinking that the silicon gel is the only thing the rely on or is their something else. If so what.

If not damping depends on silicon quality?

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

The viscosity of the silicone grease and the spring rate is what affects the damping when it drops
The stuff i used in this one is rated at 60000 centistokes. It could have done with some higher c/s to give it a slower drop to match the spring which is abit stronger than necessary with it being a pen spring

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

A restoration I did quite a long time ago now. This was done in may last year, I have now acquired it. Circumstances meant that after I got it working and rebuilt (I had to strip it right down to nuts and bolts to correct the issues as I found them, not a long job at the time, a rather pleasing jigsaw puzzle to put back together) it sat in its box on top of the wardrobe for about 16 months, after which I was offered it. Couldn't say no. Just look at it, still a supermodel of a deck after 40 odd years

ImageOracle delphi mk1 roksan tabriz vm750sh by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

It came to me with an SME 309 arm to fit, I couldn't afford the arm as well though so I've taken the Tabriz and VM750sh off my Xerxes to use on it.

The SME is going back to the owner as that can be sent through the post.

Here it is just after I rebuilt it with said SME and a Dynavector DV20X2H on it.

ImageOracle delphi mk1 + SME 309 + DV20X2H by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

Fabulous thing! although I could be considered a heretic now. Especially having sold my Lenco so no idlers at the moment, the JBE and the two JVC direct drives are still there, along with the Technics sl150 so I do have more DD decks than belt drives.

They are both nice belt drives though, the Xerxes and the Oracle. Perhaps I should buy a fruitbox to complete the 1980s hifi mag superdeck trio....

Shan't have all that much time to enjoy them now though as I've had to knock BTE Designs on the head because of the market at the moment, it just became untenable, and have instead found a 'proper' job working for the government.

I shall justify its acquisition by saying it's a little (sic) present to myself for managing to get myself a job after 8 years of being self employed.

and I shall also say a thankyou to Paul for helping me out by giving me a personal reference as I didn't have any employee references for obvious reasons.

It's Pauls fault I've gone over to the dark (coloured neoprene belt) side
:mrgreen:
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post (total 2):
Latteman (Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:59 pm) • slinger (Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:18 pm)

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Working from home today, my thoughts are drifting to a potential project.
I have a standard lenco sat gathering dust under the bed. My last lenco, saved for a rainy day. Well it isnt raining, but i can daydream.

I have a few ideas in my head for it. One is a conventional, big deep plinth one, second is a teardrop, and the third is more ambitious. A skeletal, oracle esque chassis on legs for the bearing, platter, arm, and speed change mechanism, and the motor mounted separately on a cradle underneath.

Hmmmm
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post (total 3):
slinger (Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:06 pm) • Latteman (Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:51 pm) • CycleCoach (Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:24 am)

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

I always liked the simplicity of the Kuzma Stabi-
Unfortunately I don’t think the Lenco motor is easy to ‘hide’ & is ugly
Good luck- I’m sure whatever you decide will be a stunner
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R