a couple of turntable restorations

All general audio posts go here.
Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Re: a couple of turntable restorations

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Lools like they spent the money on the slate and having the platter made :-) there's probably a couple of quids worth of bits in the psu. Theres no regulationother than whatever the transformer does and a 2200uf smoothing cap after the rectifier, so its probably susceptible to mains voltage fluctuations. Lots of scope for improvement there
The bearing is rather nice, a long sintered sleeve in the cast and machined alloy motor frame. the spindle and sleeve are high tolerance there's no rocking at all. The spindle is rounded on the end and runs in a small oil bath with what looks like a ptfe thrust pad in the bottom.
Its smaller than what you would find on a td160, lp12 std 305 ect, but is probably manufactured to a higher tolerance
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Bearing in mind that that a psu in a thorens, linn ect was simply a few resistors and phase shift cap, until the valhalla style boards started to come in around 82 ish, i think that the psu was above standard for the time.
It looks rudimentary now, but then so does what was in everything else other than the Japanese were doing with their decks.
It cant have cost much for a few resistors and a cap either
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

It's in a nice case and off board I suppose which was unusual before the mid 80's.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Firebug1
Finland

Unread post by Firebug1 »

Nice work with JVC :clap: :dance:
Rega by Michael Lim\Teac\ASR\NVA\
SA Mantra30\Audeze LCD-2 closed.
...the Gods you worship are steel, at the altar of rock 'n' roll you kneel...

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

I got the JBE finished today bar one thing. I need to replace the multi pin connector for the motor as its just crap.
To do this I have a 5 pin cliffcon metal bodied connector and socket the same as I used on the unipivot arm project. It will need a new bracket making up to replace the crap one the JBE already has, a piece of aluminium angle will do.

The arm mounting plate is now made, a walnut piece was turned up on the lathe and then faced with a black perspex disc to keep it in keeping with the rest of the deck

ImageJbe series 3 restoration complete by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

These are the legs i made to replace the long departed micro seiki microsorbers it came with

ImageJbe series 3 legs complete by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

They are made quite simply. A set of nickel plated brass cones which are in two parts (the spike at the bottom screws in and out of the top section of the cone to give it levelling) are attached via an m6 stud into a walnut spacer i turned on the lathe then painted matt black to match the deck, which is then screwed in from the top via some capped screws that look pretty close to the original mounting fixings.

Ive given the PSU case a good polish, I first flatted it back with 800 grit wet and dry to remove all the deep scratches and accumulated crud, then polished it with Brasso to smooth out all the fine scratching the wet and dry put on it, then used a proper acrylic polish called Quixx to get it back to being shiny.

There are still several cracks in it that can't be repaired, and it's relatively fragile so I couldn't go to town with the polish, but its come up pretty well. I'd have to have a new case made if i wanted to get it any better, which I may do at some point, but its maybe not worth it at this stage.

Iv'e run it up for an hour to check its all working as I'd had the PSU to bits to trace it and its fine.

So it's all ready to go once I've rebuilt the Rega R200 which should arrive tomorrow

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Looking good Ant. So I can learn, I'm hoping you will explain, how you measure were you drill out the armboard. :grin:

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

With a stick.
Not just any stick, a superduper audiophile 200 quid stick.
Actually no. What I have is a jig I made up years ago from a piece of hardwood 3/4" square and a foot long.
In one end it has a 6mm hole drilled out with a pillar drill that sits on the dome of the platter spindle so it self centres. Along its length it has 2mm holes drilled woth the pillar drill again at various spindle to pivot distances that a marking scribe from a combination square is pushed through.
All i need to do is sit the jig on the platter spindle, push the pin through the required hole, make sure the jig is parallel with the plinth, and Mark a small arc on the mounting plate.
Drill into the plate on that arc, and the hole will be in exactly the right place.
In order for the jig to be accurate, a pillar drill is used so that the pin is exactly square to the bottom of the jig.
When i made it I scribed the top so there is a groove in the top along the centreline, and another groove at 90 degrees to this which marks the centre of the 6mm hole for the spindle. That way, when I need a mounting distance that isnt already drilled in the jig, i can measure it out with a steel ruler lined up with the 90 degree mark.

Cheers ant

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Thanks very much Ant.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

She's just about done now.
The arm board is fitted and drilled for the Mayware, the Mayware has been test fitted and all is good there.
There are one or 2 details to go over, but

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!

The plinth still bears the scars of almost 40 years of being neglected, but I'm inclined to leave the patina as it is

But it's still as pretty as it ever was

and just for antonio66, the super audiophile arm mounting jig is in the background, complete with a drill bit stuck through it :mrgreen:

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Oh and I got round to the finishing touch on the JVC, a little badge I found on a market. It was a pin badge, and very apt so I had to have it. Simply cut the pin off and made it into a badge for the deck

She's now done too, although it will be very slightly modified soon as I came across some spun aluminium feet the same dimensions as the original ones on the usual auction site whilst looking for something else. they will replace the originals as the rubber part is abit perished on one of them.