Value for money Hi Fi - does it exist

All general audio posts go here.
Berty bass
Great Britain

Value for money Hi Fi - does it exist

Unread post by Berty bass »

I admit it, for years my perception of 'good' hi fi equipment has been based on a) reviews; b) cost (you get what you pay for as they say...don't you?!) and, c) (more latterly), users comments on forums. However, having joined the NVA fold fairly recently, encouraged mostly by the Doc's clear, unambiguous design philosophy and confidence inspiring adherence to the principles of simplicity, I have come to believe that value and and excellence do not go hand-in-hand in HI-Fi terms (don't knock me, I got there in the end). So, my question is - is there actually any equipment or manufacturer (NVA aside; we're all probably reading this because we already 'buy in' to aspects of the Doc's philosophy already) which can be said to represent 'value for money' in terms of cost vs performance?

Classicrock
Great Britain

Re: Value for money Hi Fi - does it exist

Unread post by Classicrock »

Cambridge Audio ( at least some of their products and not necessarily the cheapest). Oppo Digital Universal players (unfortunately ceased production - perhaps the parent company thought they sold too cheap to make enough profit). Rega up to a point (considering dealer sales and UK production). Based on observation and prices (not heard) some other direct sell UK operations such as Kralk Audio (Speakers), Angle Audio (phono stage), Temple Audio (If you can live with Class T amps). Some Chinese imports - though a lottery knowing which are really good and don't fail on 240v. Schiit Audio USA based on price and reputation (direct sell). Also would include long established TT manufactures Michell and Notts Analogue - not budget but a lot of bang for your buck at this level of engineering. Audiomods pickup arm.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Schiit I'd be careful of. Too many signs of their cheaper stuff being cobbled together (too many compromises?) judging by reviews and subjective comments out there. Bring 'em over here and prices rise a bit... can't add much to classic's post above, so shan't muddy any further.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Berty bass
Great Britain

Unread post by Berty bass »

I suppose, by extension, I'm also asking which companies have integrity. I've always had a soft spot for Rega myself on that basis - no glossy advertising, just seem to let the products do the talking for them.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

SMSL, the Chinese manufacturer, put its prices up towards the end of 2018 but they still give good vfm in my opinion. Their Q5 Dac/Amp still outperforms its price. At the old price it was pretty much unbeatable, again, only in my opinion, obviously.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

As a general rule, true value is away from the mainstream unless buying secondhand, imo.

A few exceptions, buying new, from my experience...

Denon 103 cartridge - not quite the world beater that some would suggest but does some bloody marvellous things for relatively little money.

Grado sr225e - I mention that model because it's the one I have, but I hear much the same enthusiasm about their other budget models.

The £5 chinese dac & £40 power supply

The SMSL Q5 dac / amp is crude but fun - mine got 'confiscated' by my daughter when she started Uni.

NVA - obvs!

There are potential treasures among vintage items but prices fluctuate wildly.

Haven't heard any Rega gear in a long time but did like the ELA Mk1s that I had for several years.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

In the good old days cost plus was the rule, then the greedy bastards and slurpers arrived, starting with the control the flat earth Linn / Naim thing imposed on the hobby, and it has just got much worse since. Now it is what they can get away with.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

As long as there is transparency companies can charge what they like.

If after full disclosure you want to buy it, then that's up to you.

What we shouldn't have is price being subjected to so much irrelevant ephemera in an attempt to justify it.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I think the Audioquest Dragonfly DACs are good value, taking into account their versatility. Go along with Savvy on the Grado headphones which I also own and of course NVA.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

montechristo358
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by montechristo358 »

On the same note as the Dragonfly, Cyrus Soundkey, £99 is a bargain for the difference it males to audio quality on my phone, even makes the BOSE Noise Cancellers sound half decent.
Bedroom Rig
PiCorePlayer Squeezebox clone, Allo Boss Dac, NVA AP10H with Stepped Attenuator upgrade and external PSU, Audioquest Nightowl Cans, NVA mini BMU

Office Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DIGI+, NVA SSP Digital, Arcam AV9. NVA SSC, NVA AP10P, NVA LS5, NVA Cubettes, NVA Mini BMU

Kitchen Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DAC+, NVA SSC, NVA P50, Project AMPBox, Sonance Ceiling Speakers