What does hi-fi mean

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

What does hi-fi mean

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

We have looked at this, but to be specific it seems to me there are three alternative.

1/ fidelity to the specifications
2/ fidelity to the sound
3/ fidelity to the music

It is not either or but perhaps if we give a percentage of importance.

For me
1/ 10%
2/ 20%
3/ 70%

For me this is once the design and production process is done, #1 is far more important up to that point

karatestu
Great Britain

Re: What does hi-fi mean

Unread post by karatestu »

No 3 all the way for me. Feck the specs

I would happily sacrifice a flat frequency response for something that is emotional.
DIY FREE ZONE

Welder
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Welder »

It doesn’t mean any of the above.
Hi Fi means High Fidelity and the term was coined to describe the mediums ability to accurately reproduce either the source, or the media.
It has absolutely nothing to do with music.
It has nothing to do with sound.
It may under certain circumstances have something to do with the specifications.
Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Welder wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:36 pm It doesn’t mean any of the above.
Hi Fi means High Fidelity and the term was coined to describe the mediums ability to accurately reproduce either the source, or the media.
It has absolutely nothing to do with music.
It has nothing to do with sound.
It may under certain circumstances have something to do with the specifications.
Sorry that is hilarious to say it has nothing to do with music. There is no other motivation, there is no other reason to own hi-fi. My point is what is it more import to have fidelity to.

It is obvious from the forums a lot of people think it is the specs. Others who love the magazine reviews and the pretend forum gurus want a "sound", that is what created the "flat earth" we all suffered from for so long. All I want is better music, but as a designer and maker I acknowledge the need for the others. To begin with at the start of the process of creating a product specs and objective design is all important but as the design process progresses it takes less and importance. I also believe you cannot achieve fidelity in music unless there is a consideration to a sound, a quality that is individual, like a signature of a product. You can try to minimalise it but artists have brush strokes, so do designers.

This is why I think of myself as an artisan not a technician.

Welder

Unread post by Welder »

I can't see anything about music in any of the dictionary definitions.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fidelity
Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Then you should look at reality instead. What do you listen to - noise. Definitions take the music element for granted, a bit like we take it for a given that water is wet.

Welder

Unread post by Welder »

According to some peoples judgment I do indeed listen to noise, crap, test tones, etc.
Whose reality should I be looking at, yours or mine?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

There is no difference apart from interpretation and brain warp. Don't presume others are putting you down, I'm not. I just see a desire to disagree for the sake of it or just for it.....

You listen to music like the rest of us, it is just you have a mind set you cannot leave behind or have to defend. Remember if we agreed even if in just words there would be no words - so no forum. It is nice to wiggle the brain cells to see what patterns they take.

Welder

Unread post by Welder »

I think you've misunderstood me. ;)
I'm trying to answer the question you asked. I like to be able to help people understand these things.
I've even provided a definition for you.
Of course I can't make you accept the definition but there it is none the less.

Welder

Unread post by Welder »

Let me ask you something Richard. Do you make any music?
My understanding is you try to make High Fidelity replay equipment.
I've also read somewhere you don't spend much time listening to music. I think you have Spotify, or similar on as background music as you work.
Do you not think it might be wise to stick to your area of expertise which is apparently Hi Fi rather than trying to tell others what music is and how they should listen to it.?