Speakers

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: Speakers

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

If I knew lyndsey was shit at his job I would say so., just like everyone on this forum says about certain manufacturers

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:05 pm If I knew lyndsey was shit at his job I would say so., just like everyone on this forum says about certain manufacturers
It's absolutely nothing to do with anyone being shit at their job, just the opposite really.

More being good at what one does yet getting no respect or recognition, and how that might make one feel.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Ad hominem removed - final warning

If not what is good/bad is personal opinion and your comments are just that your personal comments and you seek to admonish someone for their expressing thier personal opinion

valvesRus
Great Britain

Daniel Quinn wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:38 pm
your comments are just that your personal comments
Yes indeed, always have been, always will be. :)

Docfoster
Wales

Unread post by Docfoster »

Building speakers is great fun, and relatively easy-peasy (compared to other primary components).
It'll likely take a long time (weeks) to tweak the sound to your own system, room and ears, but that's an intensely meaningful and enjoyable process.
I would encourage anyone with ears, time, access to free online calculators, the ability to screw a box together and solder wires to have a go.
IME It's possible to achieve something vastly superior to anything that can be bought for 5x the amount of money from any commercial speaker retailer.
Possibly they won't look as good. :-D
These users thanked the author Docfoster for the post (total 3):
Lindsayt (Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:45 am) • Latteman (Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:52 am) • CycleCoach (Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:29 pm)
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

valvesRus
Great Britain

Docfoster wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:05 am
Building speakers is great fun, and relatively easy-peasy (compared to other primary components).
I see what you say, and I sort of agree, but (there's always a but) the difficulty is knowing what drivers to start with, and what the likely outcome might be.

Actually chopping up sheets of chipboard/MDF/BBP into box size bits is relatively simple, and knowing how to make the joints is not (as has already been said) rocket science.

When I got my first router I gathered up some scrap wood and made a pair of computer speakers for my office and although they looked naff I learned from the experience. When I started a bigger project I was more used to the router and made less mistakes. As it happens, that project was a failure and the boxes were broken up. But it's all experience.

The other thing is I don't really have the facilities to cut up 8x4 sheets under cover, so my woodwork season is limited to dry, and not too cold days. Some wood suppliers will cut sheets for you, but last time I tried that I found the panels were not totally square, so beware.

Docfoster
Wales

Unread post by Docfoster »

valvesRus wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:30 am
Docfoster wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:05 am
I see what you say, and I sort of agree, but (there's always a but) the difficulty is knowing what drivers to start with, and what the likely outcome might be.

Actually chopping up sheets of chipboard/MDF/BBP into box size bits is relatively simple, and knowing how to make the joints is not (as has already been said) rocket science.

When I got my first router I gathered up some scrap wood and made a pair of computer speakers for my office and although they looked naff I learned from the experience. When I started a bigger project I was more used to the router and made less mistakes. As it happens, that project was a failure and the boxes were broken up. But it's all experience.

The other thing is I don't really have the facilities to cut up 8x4 sheets under cover, so my woodwork season is limited to dry, and not too cold days. Some wood suppliers will cut sheets for you, but last time I tried that I found the panels were not totally square, so beware.

Fair point about the drivers. They’re the DNA of the speakers. Get them wrong and you’re fucked.
So one does need to likely factor in some research / development time.
I’ve found myself trusting / liking some particular driver manufacturers. And arriving at those was partly trial and error. So yes. I suppose one factors in that variable to.
My local timber merchants cuts sheets to size much more neatly than I ever could with my tools. And for not much cash. I think B&Q do the same for free.
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

valvesRus wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:25 pm
Lindsayt wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:01 pm
When it comes to speakers I'd attach little value to someone else's design work.

It's a bloody speaker. It's not a Saturn V moon rocket.

We've already heard how it can be a rocky road to getting a loudspeaker design working properly, so attaching little value to that work seems very dismissive, be they commercial or DIY designs.

Perhaps, when (or if) Lindsay gets going with his own loudspeaker project he will appreciate how much work goes into them.

I have no idea how Lindsay earned his living but I wonder how he would feel if people were so dismissive of his trade, profession or vocation ?

Any old fool could do my main job. And plenty of old fools are in the same line of main work as me.

I don't mind one bit when people are dismissive about my main trade.
I take the mickey out of it myself often enough.

I take some of my inspiration for speakers from the Audio Asylum forum. Inparticular the high efficiency speaker section. Where there's a culture of putting together Frankenstein speaker creations. The bass bins from one speaker and the horns and compression drivers from another. It's very much a can do will do and we're not going to take it seriously culture over there. It's a culture of let's go for a ride and see where it takes us.
None of this "speakers are difficult to get right" negativity over there.

I am not in awe of any designer that has come up with a slimline low efficiency ported speaker that retails for more than £2000. Any designer that comes up with such a product is a clown. An even bigger one than the old fools that I work with from time to time.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post (total 3):
SteveS57 (Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:28 am) • savvypaul (Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:58 pm) • CycleCoach (Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:32 pm)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

valvesRus wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:25 pm

I have no idea how Lindsay earned his living but I wonder how he would feel if people were so dismissive of his trade, profession or vocation ?
This is not relevant to the thread, and it is unnecessarily personal. I will not be impressed by what I perceive as sly attempts to circumnavigate the ad-hominem rule. Please bear this in mind.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:38 pm
...what is good/bad is personal opinion and your comments are just that your personal comments...
This is an important point, not least because it sums up the ethos of this forum.

We welcome the sharing of first hand knowledge and experience. We do not welcome the stating of personal opinion as fact.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 2):
CycleCoach (Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:34 pm) • Lindsayt (Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:50 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/