Speakers

All general audio posts go here.
Jac Hawk
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Speakers

Unread post by Jac Hawk »

I've gone through my fair share of speakers mostly British, with the odd pair of JBL's and Bose thrown in for good measure, my view is that it's all about the synergy between the speakers and the room, get it right and even a modest set up can sound very special. Regarding which country makes the best speakers I think is very subjective, the sound I like may not float someone else's boat, I do think there is or has been far too much hype for certain brands and the only way to choose is to use your ears, at present I'm loving my Monitor Audio PMC 705's

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Most speakers fight the room, in which case it is just chance, and some speakers (very few) work with the room.

Jac Hawk

I'm lucky enough to have a great room for my hifi, it's in the basement so no windows a solid floor and it's been tanked, then lined with insulation then plasterboarded, no echo it really makes everything sound better than it should.

Regarding your opening statement on the 1st post, TOTAL BOLLOCKS I mean how can you say that?? Granted some British speakers have been put on pedestals so to speak and the hype has been for want of a better word "bought" but there is and has been some very good home grown speakers, do you actually believe what you wrote or is it a case of you being at odds with the British hifi establishment??

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

You are happy so why does my opinion hurt you, I stand by what I say. There are NONE that I have heard I could be happy with. They are not made to produce good speakers (music) they are made to make money, as much as they can get away with, for them and their retailers, the whole industry involving British Hi-fi speaker companies are stuck in a design rut mostly WAF and will not take chances to progress. Luckily some small companies are trying, but I ask will they be ALLOWED to show what they are doing. IMO one of the worst rip-off companies is PMC, not quite as bad as Kef and B&W. If you are happy then be happy, but keep an open mind. If you want to open your mind I am here to help that process.

We only know what we know, and I am willing to put my knowledge and ability up against them squarely and fairly, one on one or more in any bake-off or visit or loan or purchase with return if unhappy.

Jac Hawk

Your opinion doesn't hurt me Richard and I'd partially agree that the likes of Kef and B&W haven't made a really good speaker since the 80's, or at least one that didn't require you to sell one of your kidneys to pay it.

You're also right when you say that small British hifi companies haven't been allowed to shine, I recently met Les Wolstenholme at the last Nebo, he started a company called RMS back in the 80's or 90's there was a pair of his speakers at the bake off, they were fantastic but back in the day unless you had a very large marketing budget you didn't stand a chance, so like so many others it no longer exists. It's a shame......

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It is a shame we can all cure with some effort and understanding, which is why my favourite word about the established companies is bullshit, because all they have is marketing and market penetration. AND the gullible sheep who follow them.

Jac Hawk

Some people will always buy the badge and fair play to them, if that's what turns them on, I'll continue to trust my ears

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Good for you, just be happy if you are happy but never presume you couldn't be happier.

Victorquartermaine

Unread post by Victorquartermaine »

I'm only getting back into hifi after suffering a family. I picked up a musical fidelity v90 and ar pi ones from ebay. Ashamed too say the source is flac from my phone to a neet dac. In my defence I still have 5 and 9 year old boys in the house. Nice sound but starting to get the bug back. I plugged in an a20 recently purchased and suddenly tracks I know inside out, macy gray I try unplugged, sound totally different. The width of the sound stage ffs. Instruments are to my left rather than left between the speakers. Anyway I'm rambling. When I left hifi 20 or so years ago I had naim. A lot of cash for barely identifible improvements. V90 to a20 massive leap, and at rock bottom volume so as not to wake anyone up, kids in bed. The pi ones continue to surprise they simply disappear. With the a20 they really surprise!!!

Victorquartermaine

Unread post by Victorquartermaine »

What I get from a lot of the hifi press is, same as back in the day, its a status symbol. Like the watch industry etc. Fuck all to do with music or craftsmanship. How dare any company threaten the cash cow