Click and pop

All general audio posts go here.
Mississippi Blind Child Assburn
Has thanked: 0
Canada

Click and pop

Unread post by Mississippi Blind Child Assburn »

Blind Child for the most part stays away from anything outside of the movies/music portion of this forum - cos Blind Chile is real (blessedly) stoopit when it comes to electronics and gear.

But I have always been interested in these click & pop removal wotsits.

Throughout the 80s I dreamed of owning the BURWEN TRANSIENT NOISE ELIMINATOR 7000, but it was just too expensive.
(They also made a Dynamic Noise Filter 1201 where hiss is "banished forever on records or tapes". this was of less interest to me because I already run one system through a dbx.Also , as with the dbx filter, this is broadband noise reduction ,so you get that unwanted "breathing" in the sound.)

Where the 7000 was different from the cheaper "click and pop" devices was that the transient spikes (clicks and pops) are eliminated but a GAP left in the sound. The 7000 bridges the gaps with an ambient signal, smoothinmg things out so you dont hear split-second gaps in your music.

So then back then we had this basically ANALOGUE Burwen system, but something like THIS must be a digital dynamic filter so you would expect it to be much better:

https://www.musicdirect.com/accessories ... arcube-SC1

Blind Child woud really like to hear your thoughts - not that I can affort $1000 to cleanup the sound of me fuzzay warbles. :angry-screaming:

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Click and pop

Unread post by savvypaul »

A good record cleaning machine is worth owning. Removes the cause of the clicks and pops - dirt and static.

I use an Okki Nokki - about £400 in the UK.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

joe

Unread post by joe »

Trouble is, cleaning records is hard work, and if you wanted that, you'd get a job, right? Plus they are AS NOISY AS FUCK. So I have a record cleaning machine, but rarely use it.

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

Yeah they are noisy but I never get why it's such a big deal as the vacuum's only on for a few seconds at a time....

savvypaul
Great Britain

joe wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:27 pm Trouble is, cleaning records is hard work, and if you wanted that, you'd get a job, right? Plus they are AS NOISY AS FUCK. So I have a record cleaning machine, but rarely use it.
Think of it as a ritual to be enjoyed...the record cleaning, that is, not hard work, obvs.
I am in the hi-fi trade

joe

Unread post by joe »

If I wanted ritual I'd joint a sect. Nah, wipe the record on your sleeve or stick a CD on, save your strength.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Ive got a diy ultrasonic . Its a marvel

Canada

I have a Nitty Gritty.
record cleaning machine will, of course, do NOTHING positive when you consider vinyl damage - which is, afterall, what most ticks & pops are about.

Go to any audio forum and when this topic comes up they always wax enthusiastic about the great results these machines can have.
Seems like I'm the only one who insists the opposite.

Blind Chile has this theory: audiofool peeps put out $400-500 for one of these machines and then find out the truth that they are not wot they are made out to be. Then to SAVE FACE they PURPOSELY mislead , saying the machine is the bee's knees and it works wonders.

My machine does audible improvement, I would say, on no more than 1 out of ever 10 records I clean - and I clean a lot.

A machine (and ANY form of washing) is good for very dirty records, mold or records that have been out of sleeves in cigarette-smoky environs. In Blind Child's used-record-buying experience, this is rarely the case. Its not dirty records that are around, its misused,manhandled records. Not dirt as much as assault and battery. And the machines do absolutely nothing for this.

Canada

Anyways, I'd like this not to be a nother record-cleaning thread.

Anyone had experience with Burwens or similar?

savvypaul
Great Britain

joe wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:37 pm If I wanted ritual I'd joint a sect. Nah, wipe the record on your sleeve or stick a CD on, save your strength.
I'm already regretting even my token effort at convincing you,,,you're too much like hard work.
I am in the hi-fi trade