The listening room

All general audio posts go here.
CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: The listening room

Unread post by CN211276 »

80-85 db peaks are about right for me, though much of the time I listen at lower levels. This was usually the case in the previous semi detached which had thin walls. I was lucky with neighbours except once when a pair of head cases moved in. Things got very, very nasty with police, the council and solicitors before they moved out.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I wish I had a bigger room :cry: My kitchen diner is much bigger and that has my AP20, Cambridge Audio CD5 and a tiny pair of B&W CM1. That is loud enough even is this bigger room. They are in two corners of the room :shock: and only 18" from the ceiling :shock: :shock: In my defence I didn't buy them, a friend gave me them and later passed away so they have sentimental value.

You would think there would be too much bass but I put the factory supplied bungs in the rear port. I expect that if they were in free space then I would need the ports open but cos they are right back to the wall and near the corner apex the bass weight is about right :dance:

I would like to put some semi omni's in there but I don't think it would work with them having to be so close to the ceiling. The CM1 won't be doc modded or messed with at all. They only a have a first order xover :dance: but still sound a little dull compared to a semi omni with doped mid bass.
DIY FREE ZONE

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

karatestu wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:00 am I wish I had a bigger room :cry: My kitchen diner is much bigger and that has my AP20, Cambridge Audio CD5 and a tiny pair of B&W CM1. That is loud enough even is this bigger room. They are in two corners of the room :shock: and only 18" from the ceiling :shock: :shock: In my defence I didn't buy them, a friend gave me them and later passed away so they have sentimental value.

With friends like that, who needs enemies?

The CM1's should be in the bedroom. As they'd be great for when you're having trouble getting to sleep. :sleeping-sleeping:

The CD5 and AP20 would be a great match for some decent speakers. :music-singing:

Room size. For many people, you're stuffed. Property prices are too prohibitively priced.

I bought a house that was the equivalent of my EV Sentry III's. IE basically broken and needed repairs to be workable. Exept the house has been and still is a far greater renovation project than the speakers. The house was in such a bad state that it was the same price as a new or nearly new 3 or 4 bedroomed detached in this area (one of the cheaper parts of the UK). I therefore regard the house as no big deal. Anyone on an average wage in my area could have bought it.

With Covid 19 it's possible there will be a short term adjustment to property prices and that the next year might be a good time to buy a big old "yuck" style project house.

My rooms are 24' by 18 by 12'. I have 6 of them that size on the north side of the house. Which explains a lot about my choice of speakers for my main system, bedroom system and AV system.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
karatestu (Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:21 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

Bought this canvas for my living room. £15 :dance:

DIY FREE ZONE

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

We have bought this new rug to replace the (not very) old one. It is a bit thinner than the previous one but covers a far larger area in front of the speakers. I was not expecting much of a change in the tonal balance as I thought the one differences would cancel the other out. I was wrong as the room became noticably more lively with a hint of harshness at higher volume. Thankfully I was able to rectify this by changing the filter on the Qutest by one setting from Incisive neutral HF roll-off to Warm. This has restored the room frequency balance to what it was. If I remember corectly the DAC was on this setting when we had a previous thiner rug before the one which has just been replaced. Have not played with the curtains drawn as it gets dark so late, but I think this would have a dampening influence.

This is the rug which has been replaced by the new one.

It goes to show that room acoustics and furnishing have a big effect on what we hear and our enjoyment of music. This does not receive nearly enough attention on forums swamped by discussions on equipment and, worst of all, charts and graphs.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post (total 3):
karatestu (Sat May 08, 2021 7:05 pm) • CycleCoach (Sat May 08, 2021 7:27 pm) • savvypaul (Sat May 08, 2021 9:20 pm)
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

karatestu
Great Britain

Clive, the new answer to all evil is dsp or other room correction (new devilry). Rooms tend to get talked about quite a bit on pfm but then some argue the far end of a fart. I can't be arsed to obsess to the point that I forget J am supposed to be relaxing listening to music that moves me.

Sounds like you were happy with the old rug. Did the female of the house have something to do with this ? :whistle:

Where are your power amps or are they some new fangled stealth amplifiers :lol:
DIY FREE ZONE

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

karatestu wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:02 pm

Sounds like you were happy with the old rug. Did the female of the house have something to do with this ? :whistle
Yes. I am not one for changing the room decor every couple of years. :lol: But I endorsed the choice of the new rug as I thought something covering a larger area of the floor would be beneficial. But no worries because of the filter settings on the DAC, it only took a minor adjustment to restore th frequency balance. There is a warmer setting. As I have only had the Sbooster for a week and a lot more run is required, I might have to go back to Incisive Neutral should the sound smoothe out too much. Old rug and new rug the new PS has made quite a difference and I am very pleased with it.

My mono blocks and system components are situated on the side, out of the picture. The BMU is even further away.
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

Lindsayt
Nauru

eBay sometimes has used handmade Persian rugs for reasonable prices.

I'd rather have something with a bit of character and a bit of quality, even if it's a bit faded or worn in places than some new made down to a cost thing.

EG this if it sells for the right price...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353477224106 ... ondition=4

Facebook Marketplace is worth checking too.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
savvypaul (Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:31 pm)

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Reserecting this thread as I experienced what could be the most extreme adverse effect of a listening room earlier today. We are having a break in Edinburugh and as part of the Fringe there happened to be a piano concerto in the Cathedeal right next to where we are staying with free entry. We decided to go and as you can imagine the surroundings, stone walls, pillars, stone floor, vast building with high ceiling had quite an effect on the sound. Harshness would be an under statement. Although the pianist was obviously very talented it was not to my ears, accustomed to the system at home, a pleasant listening experience. What was played live would have sounded far better recorded and played back through any decent hifi system in a sympathetic room.

To conclude, the effect of the listening room has never been more apparent to me. Consideration of this at meagure cost, will bring about greater benefits than spending mega bucks on equipment with no regard to its surroundings.
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

Lindsayt
Nauru

When I was in the cathedral in Santiago De Compostola in July, the organ was being played, probably for a practise session. It sounded fine from where I was sitting. A couple of steps above what I've been able to get from my systems so far.

It appears that not all instruments in all cathedrals in all listening positions are equal. :geek: