TeraDak-style

All general audio posts go here.
Fretless
Netherlands

Re: TeraDak-style

Unread post by Fretless »

Right then. The model V4.1D has arrived (rather quickly, it was still in Singapore yesterday. Good job DHL).
Is plugged-in in the second system and warming through at the moment.

It is the same 30W PSU as the Chameleon in one box and an umbilical attached to the DAC unit which is outwardly effectively identical to the 2.7 and 3.1 models. The DAC box is incredibly light. Feels like there's nothing inside it. Luckily, there is.

Moving up through the series, you can see that power supplies became increasingly important to the designers with the 3.1 having an improved onboard PSU to the 2.7 and with the 4.1 shifting the power to a separate box.

A quick listen has the 4.1 providing far more clarity and space than the 2.7 and more musically inviting than the Metrum Musette. But, as I said, it is still on warm up and I'm having an nice evening with the Tinkerboard and the Chameleon and a glass of La Trappe Tripel ale.

:guiness;

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Fretless
Netherlands

"Curiouser and curiouser." said Alice.

Just swapped the processor box of the Teradak 4.1 with that of the 4.5 Chameleon. Fairly easy as they have the same PSU and connection.

Still a bit of a struggle getting the USB connection from the Tinkerboard to find the DAC device, but now I'm getting used to how that goes.

Once things were up and running, the first noticeable effect was a huge reduction in volume levels. The 4.1 is really quiet on the USB connection whereas with SPDIF it produces relatively normal output. I had to set the volume pot on the P50sa to 3 o'clock where it usually stands at 10 o'clock.

SQ-wise, the 4.1 provides a pleasant, silky, valve-like smoothness that, again, reminded me of the MF M1DAC but then with a bit more kick, control and bass presence.

However, pleasant isn't enough to compete with the incredible magic that is coming out of the 4.5 Chameleon. The 4.1 is supremely listenable, totally non-fatiguing and easy to live with. Perfect for the non-critical installation I've got it in.

:grin: :dance:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Office:

Fretless
Netherlands

There is a winter sale on at AliExpress ending on 11 jan and one webshop there has reduced the prices on some Teradak DAC's by 9% Bringing the V4.5 Chameleon down to around 285 pounds (ex. P&P and customs).

Look for : Shop4627003 Store
It's where I got mine.

The single-box V3.1 with upgraded power-supply is around 150 pounds.

Lovely rich, analogue-style sound. :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Office:

Fretless
Netherlands

To accommodate a forthcoming shorter link from Wyrd to DAC I have reorganised the rack. Digital sources on top, switching & processing In the middle, power amps still on the floor.

Thought I would play a CD for the first time in ages, ran into a snag - how do I do that?

Teradak DAC's are all optimised for USB usage and that automatically takes priority over the SPDIF inputs - there is no physical switch on the unit to do that. So if I want to use the CXC to listen to a CD, it means switching off the Wyrd and rendering the USB link inactive. Then the Chameleon turns on the SPDIF side.

There IS a switch to go from coax to optical, and it is on the back. Handy, eh? :doh:

Still the best-sounding digital converter I have ever heard, so what do I have to complain about?
:grin: :guiness; :dance:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Office:

Fretless
Netherlands

After a couple of hectic weeks, there is finally time to relax and enjoy the enforced leisure time of the lockdown.

Looking at my second system with the Teradak 4.1 being fed via SPDIF coax from the Allo DigiOne Signature, I had a spare Inakustik Excellence USB cable lying unused and thought it would be interesting to see how that worked in this setup.

Using Volumio on RPi's necessitates a restart when you alter the output modus from the Allo HAT to the Pi's own USB sockets, which takes about 2 minutes. That done and to my amazement the sound was fuller, richer and more 'organic'. This from a humble Pi2B board up against the ultra HQ DigiOne Sig.

The difference can only be explained by the Teradak DAC being optimised for USB and handling it in a different way to SPDIF. I have previously been unimpressed by USB connections, thinking that SPDIF must be better as that was specifically intended for music data. Recent experience has proved me wrong.

The 4.1 DAC only has a measly 8x TDA1543 processing chips, as opposed to the 4.5 Chameleon's 16x, but using the USB input here lets the unit really shine. The SQ getting more vivid and tactile.

But. The DigiOne Sig is too good just to sit around so that has been swapped into the office rig, running into the Topping D30 and sounding very nice. The Allo DigiOne unit that was there is now the USB feed in the second system. It's massive aluminium housing giving extra shielding and thermal stability to the Pi board.

Another attempt was made to run the USB link through a Jitterbug. But this Teradak doesn't like the JB either and refuses to connect. With the JB plugged into a spare socket and no longer in-line things go just fine.

So that has seen another incremental improvement for both the second and office rigs. And confirmed the Teradak's sonic superiority when given USB input.

Now to wait for the arrival of the Oehlbach XXL Masterclock and the Allo USBridge Sig. Both delayed.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Office:

Fretless
Netherlands

Spotted a store on AliExpress which has the sublime-sounding Chameleon for an attractive price.

The only question is how are the delivery times at the moment?

https://m.nl.aliexpress.com/item/400080 ... e3e&is_c=N

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Office:

psychoanima
Has thanked: 0
Isle of Man

Unread post by psychoanima »

I guess I am reviving this thread from the dead. It's crazy how little information and impression can be found about Teradak Chameleon.

@fretless thank you for this topic and impressions you wrote abot this DAC. Since you use it for so long I have some questions. I got very curious recently about NOS DAC's, and I am planning to invest in some of this chifi wonders without breaking a bank. I am currently using Topping E50 dac, which don't take me wrong, is an excellent Hi resolution DAC in my opinion. But things have changed when I switched from integrated amp to small single end tube amp. That analogue sound cloud spreading trough room got me and it won't let go. Then I start going deeper into analogue vibe (I am streaming type of guy though, not into Vinyls), so I am doing research which NOS DAC to get for not so much money. I am aware of Denafrips R2R, but not sure I am willing to pay that much (yet). Then, there is finally Teradak Chameleon, ultra old philips tech inside, for decent amount of money. Now, here comes the problem: I am using Tidal for streaming, and my question is, can Teradak even be used and recognized by streaming app like Tidal? Is for that matter any NOS dac operational with streaming apps?

You also wrote that you own topping e30 dac. Is there any noticeable quality difference with 96k signal from Chameleon, and let's say 192k from e30?

Sorry for long post, curiosity is killing me.

Fretless
Netherlands

Hi Psychoanima and welcome to HFS.

First read my Denafrips Ares thread, which gives a good idea over how I experienced the move from the Teradak Chameleon.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51030&hilit=Right+up+the+ares

The Chameleon remains my Nr. 2 DAC as it has a luscious, involving quality that just makes you love it. I am using it at this moment as it is in a headphone rig where I am road-testing a new pair of cans (review coming soon).
One thing to bear in mind is that the Teradak units are superior on USB over SPDIF inputs.

The Denafrips Ares II is still very affordable for the quality that it exudes. It has (in NOS mode) that intangible 'analogue' feel and prompted my return to vinyl as it showed me that my 30-year digital-audio journey had basically been a quest to recapture the sound of an LP.

Anyhow, bottom line, the Teradak Chameleon is wonderful. The Denafrips Ares is stunning.

Enjoy the ride ! :dance:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Office:

Fretless
Netherlands

Extra info: doesn't matter what streaming service you use, it depends on how your streaming device will output to a DAC (SPDIF / USB / I2S)

Teradak's don't like 192khz but sound great on 96khz.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Office:

psychoanima
Has thanked: 0
Isle of Man

Unread post by psychoanima »

Thank your Fretless!

I read your Denafrips review and I dig it! I am still not ready to let dac be the most expensive part of my Hi-fi equipment :D My listening room is quite small, so my listening gear is: Tidal -> Topping E50 -> TubeCube 7 -> Triangle Titus EZ

Bummer that Teradak prefers USB, I was thinking to start with Chameleon, and when I decide to get R2R to use Chameleon for listening CDs while R2R is feeding with streaming files.

On the other hand, AliExpress is full of different NOS dac's, I am really surprised that there are no reviewers around interested in testing these "quality unknown" devices. For example:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... 1107%21sea

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... 5468%21sea

and many others in the same price range....