Tinker, Tailor, Streamer, Pi.

All general audio posts go here.
Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Tinker, Tailor, Streamer, Pi.

Unread post by Fretless »

I do know that a linear power supply improves the sonic performance of a Pi or Tinkerboard so it should help also with other mini computers.
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post:
antonio66 (Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:08 pm)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

montechristo358
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by montechristo358 »

it helps on mine
Bedroom Rig
PiCorePlayer Squeezebox clone, Allo Boss Dac, NVA AP10H with Stepped Attenuator upgrade and external PSU, Audioquest Nightowl Cans, NVA mini BMU

Office Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DIGI+, NVA SSP Digital, Arcam AV9. NVA SSC, NVA AP10P, NVA LS5, NVA Cubettes, NVA Mini BMU

Kitchen Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DAC+, NVA SSC, NVA P50, Project AMPBox, Sonance Ceiling Speakers

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

On another forum someone has posted a link for Fidelizer, a audiophile app to cut down on unwanted/un-used programs, therefore it is concentrated on the music https://fidelizer-audio.com/
I have today downloaded and given a few albums ago and although it's very difficult for me to assess with all my recent changes, I pretty sure the music is coming through clearer: Love to hear any members thoughts who are willing to give it a go, it's free, and as soon as you switch your pc off it reverts back to normal (or at least that is what I'm led to believe :-? )

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Intriguing.

Something to have a look at later this week.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I ran Fidelizer a few years ago now, in conjunction with JRiver. To be honest I didn't notice any difference in SQ so uninstalled it after a while. Also, while I see the logic behind this approach, I'm not overly keen on bits of Windoze being stopped which I haven't stopped myself. Finally, the chances are I'd be working on my PC when listening to music, so again, I didn't want stuff getting stopped for me.

It seems quite popular now, and it looks as if they're trying to put a complete streaming solution together. I'll be interested to hear some opinions on what it's like these days.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

CN211276 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:39 pm https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/ ... and-cable/

Interesting but expensive.

The filter connects to a streamer through its built in ethernet lead and the associated 1.5m cable ideally connects to a switch. Apart from the price I see a big negative. That is I would not want my switch, as with the router and BMU, anywhere near the rest of the system. I have a long length of well shielded Cat 8 ethernet cable from the switch to the streamer. The review states that long lengths of ethernet cable reduce the effects of the filter. I do not know if that is the case or just marketing to promote sales of the Eno cable alongside the filter. On the manufactures website it is stated that the filter will improve any streaming system without reference to the ethernet cable connecting it.

With my other half in Kenya with her daghter to see her ailing dad there seemed no better time to try this out as I would be home alone for most of the thirty day return period, with plenty of time to assess its worth. I decided on the option with silver wiring, instead of copper, costing £200 more. Before the sale went through Network Acoustics enquired about the rest of my system. When I confirmed that I was using a switch and quality ethernet cable things proceeded.

When the parcel arrived two days ago I was careful to ensure the packaging was not damaged whlst opening as at a cost of £700 the improvement would need to be significant. It was easy to set up with the instructions confirming that to obtain the benefits the Eno needs to be connected to a switch and not directly to a router.

A OMG moment occurred straight away. I continued with the album I had been playing (Bowie - Lodger) and the sound was just BETTER. What was immediatey most noticable was bass extension which was not there before. After a few hours running in I was aware that the improvement was across the board, better bass definition, increased seperation and sound stage with greater dynamic range. The instructions advise that full run in requires a hundred hours.

I was sceptical about the reviews, as I always am, but what the Eno has brought to my system is more than what has been described in many of the favourable write ups. I put this down to two things, the transparancy of the system and the ethernet cable picking up a lot of "muck". I have a long length of ethernet cable and it is impossible to keep it away from other cables.

The improvement the ENO has brought about is greater than the cumulative benfits of all the upgrades and tweeks I made to the digital chain last year. Hi res streaming is an emerging science and there is a lot which is not fully understood or measurable. There is a lot more to achieving the best sound quality than having a good DAC and streamer/PC. The purity of the signal is paramount and this is about removing impurities such as RF. You are not aware of what they are taking away from the music coming out of the speakers until they are reduced.

The Eno is a keeper and I am very pleased, especially at this time of lockdown blues. :grin:
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
George Hincapie (Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:36 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

George Hincapie
Great Britain

Unread post by George Hincapie »

antonio66 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:22 am What are members thoughts on using a LPS on my mini pc, anyone tried it (Fretless ;) ) on their pc?
I was always extremely sceptical about the impact of improving server power, but after reading so many positive user experiences I bought a Farad Super 3 capacitor based supply. I don't understand why or how, but it does work. I experienced a noticeable improvement in audio quality.

There are so many different options, but if all (or most) of the other pieces of your system jigsaw are in place then it's something to consider.

https://faradpowersupplies.com/shop/en/ ... upgrade-no
These users thanked the author George Hincapie for the post:
antonio66 (Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:02 am)
Headphone Amplification
Linear Tube Audio MZ3

Headphones
HifiMan Sundara • HiFiMan Arya Stealth Edition • ZMF Vérité Closed Ltd (Stabilised) • ZMF Atrium Open Ltd (Hawaiian Koa) • ZMF Aeolus Ltd (Mexican Bocote)

Digital
Audial S5 • Pi2AES 2.0

Cables
Forza Audio Works • Blue Jeans • DH Labs • Periapt

Power
Farad • Tomanek

Sources
Roon • Tidal • Qobuz

George Hincapie
Great Britain

Unread post by George Hincapie »

CN211276 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:32 pm
CN211276 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:39 pm https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/ ... and-cable/

Interesting but expensive.

The filter connects to a streamer through its built in ethernet lead and the associated 1.5m cable ideally connects to a switch. Apart from the price I see a big negative. That is I would not want my switch, as with the router and BMU, anywhere near the rest of the system. I have a long length of well shielded Cat 8 ethernet cable from the switch to the streamer. The review states that long lengths of ethernet cable reduce the effects of the filter. I do not know if that is the case or just marketing to promote sales of the Eno cable alongside the filter. On the manufactures website it is stated that the filter will improve any streaming system without reference to the ethernet cable connecting it.

With my other half in Kenya with her daghter to see her ailing dad there seemed no better time to try this out as I would be home alone for most of the thirty day return period, with plenty of time to assess its worth. I decided on the option with silver wiring, instead of copper, costing £200 more. Before the sale went through Network Acoustics enquired about the rest of my system. When I confirmed that I was using a switch and quality ethernet cable things proceeded.

When the parcel arrived two days ago I was careful to ensure the packaging was not damaged whlst opening as at a cost of £700 the improvement would need to be significant. It was easy to set up with the instructions confirming that to obtain the benefits the Eno needs to be connected to a switch and not directly to a router.

A OMG moment occurred straight away. I continued with the album I had been playing (Bowie - Lodger) and the sound was just BETTER. What was immediatey most noticable was bass extension which was not there before. After a few hours running in I was aware that the improvement was across the board, better bass definition, increased seperation and sound stage with greater dynamic range. The instructions advise that full run in requires a hundred hours.

I was sceptical about the reviews, as I always am, but what the Eno has brought to my system is more than what has been described in many of the favourable write ups. I put this down to two things, the transparancy of the system and the ethernet cable picking up a lot of "muck". I have a long length of ethernet cable and it is impossible to keep it away from other cables.

The improvement the ENO has brought about is greater than the cumulative benfits of all the upgrades and tweeks I made to the digital chain last year. Hi res streaming is an emerging science and there is a lot which is not fully understood or measurable. There is a lot more to achieving the best sound quality than having a good DAC and streamer/PC. The purity of the signal is paramount and this is about removing impurities such as RF. You are not aware of what they are taking away from the music coming out of the speakers until they are reduced.

The Eno is a keeper and I am very pleased, especially at this time of lockdown blues. :grin:
I'll have to look into this. It looks similar to the Uptone Audio Ether Regen.
Headphone Amplification
Linear Tube Audio MZ3

Headphones
HifiMan Sundara • HiFiMan Arya Stealth Edition • ZMF Vérité Closed Ltd (Stabilised) • ZMF Atrium Open Ltd (Hawaiian Koa) • ZMF Aeolus Ltd (Mexican Bocote)

Digital
Audial S5 • Pi2AES 2.0

Cables
Forza Audio Works • Blue Jeans • DH Labs • Periapt

Power
Farad • Tomanek

Sources
Roon • Tidal • Qobuz

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

George Hincapie wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:36 pm [

I'll have to look into this. It looks similar to the Uptone Audio Ether Regen.
It is my understanding that the Regen performs a similar function to a switch. The Eno is a passive device which works in combinatioon with a switch as a filter.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

On the face of it, that Eno filter is a completely and utterly bonkers purchase for £500 or more.

For less money than that you could have a fibre optic cabling network set-up in your home.
Fibre optics are 100% guaranteed not to have any electrical interference on the signal whatsoever!
So instead of fixing a problem with the Eno for £500+ you could not have the problem in the first place for about £300.

And it would be interesting to open up the Eno filter to see exactly what's inside and whether a DIY equivalent could be made for 1% of the cost. With it being a passive filter it could just be a magnetic ring around an internal cable.

I'm smelling a huge amount of bullshit here. And a large amount of blinkered thinking.