It's so Ethereal

All general audio posts go here.
Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Re: It's so Ethereal

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

If you are hearing all this difference, then would it not make more sense to add a extra network card to your file store (whatever that is) and run a separate network just for the audio traffic instead of making it share the cable with all your other data?

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Lurcher300b wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:40 am If you are hearing all this difference, then would it not make more sense to add a extra network card to your file store (whatever that is) and run a separate network just for the audio traffic instead of making it share the cable with all your other data?
That's a possibility, but watch out for network loops!

Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

I would suggest a different subnet or class C on the audio network and set the PC or whatever up to work as a router between networks.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

CN211276 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:36 pm
Lindsayt wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:21 am
CN211276 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:21 am There is a huge difference in the price of similar looking 8 port Cisco switches on Ebay. Could this be because one has a G in the model number and is better specified?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193268012779?ul_noapp=true
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253788204923?ul_noapp=true
The 100 Mbit (0.1 Gbps) switch is older and has slower data transmission rates than the 1 Gbps switch with the "G" suffix.

At £155 the 1 Gbps switch is optimistically priced. I've seen the same model for about £50 on UK ebay. It might just take a bit of patience to get you a Cisco 1 Gbps proper business fanless 8 port switch for £50ish.
I thought the price was very steep. They offered me and everyone else watching it a 5% discount. :lol: I wonder if audiophile interest in switches is bumping up the prices of ones suitable? I will keep my eyes open for something reasonably priced.
I have just won an eBay auction, picking one up for £56 inc p&p. I think I will manage to set it up when delivered. :grin:
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

As I suspected the big obsticle to configuring the Cisco 2960G is Windows 10. There are on line solutions which I am exploring.
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Can it be done via Android phone or a linux device ??

(I have no ideas about this)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Fretless wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:05 am Can it be done via Android phone or a linux device ??

(I have no ideas about this)
I don't think so. Had a job to get Windows 10 to recognise my WD Cloud, but got there in the end.
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

CN211276 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:59 am As I suspected the big obsticle to configuring the Cisco 2960G is Windows 10. There are on line solutions which I am exploring.
Putty is your answer. It's a free download. Great program. As well as switch configuration it allows me to log in to my Linux servers from anywhere in the world (with an internet connection)

Old versions of windows used to have TTY built in. Now you need to have putty.
Also old laptops used to have serial ports built in to them. Now you need a USB to serial adapter. I've got one somewhere.
Plus you need a console cable that comes with every new Cisco switch. I've got dozens of them.
Get the cable and, if required the adapter and you're in business.

For your putty connection it's pretty much the default Serial settings:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/d ... 300-a.html
The thing to watch for is what Com number your USB adapter is using. Or the com number of your serial port on an older laptop.

Once you're physically connected, the next step is getting your head round the MS DOS type text based interface that you have with Cisco business switches. At first this will seem daunting. By the time you've configured 5 switches you'll start to get comfortable with it. By the time you've installed hundreds of switches you'll appreciate what a great time saving feature this is.

A little tip. When you power on an unconfigured Cisco switch you will be presented with the option to do a "quick configuration" on it. Say No to this. It's better to do a slow manual configuration, because this involves copying and pasting a pre-prepared config text file into the putty window, which is actually an amazingly fast and reliable way to configure these, once you've grasped what you're doing, and have someoene that knows what they're doing in creating the config text file.

Edit: also an unconfigured Cisco switch should still work for transfering data in your network.
If you power it on and connect your devices to it, do all the devices talk to each other? The same as if you had them all plugged into the RJ45 ports on your Router?
The configuration of the switch is for getting the best out of it for your network's needs.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

The 'WD Access' program makes that pretty easy.

Puts an icon in the toolbar and hooks straight into the MyCloud. :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Lindsayt wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:53 am
CN211276 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:59 am As I suspected the big obsticle to configuring the Cisco 2960G is Windows 10. There are on line solutions which I am exploring.
Putty is your answer. It's a free download. Great program. As well as switch configuration it allows me to log in to my Linux servers from anywhere in the world (with an internet connection)

Old versions of windows used to have TTY built in. Now you need to have putty.
Also old laptops used to have serial ports built in to them. Now you need a USB to serial adapter. I've got one somewhere.
Plus you need a console cable that comes with every new Cisco switch. I've got dozens of them.
Get the cable and, if required the adapter and you're in business.

For your putty connection it's pretty much the default Serial settings:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/d ... 300-a.html
The thing to watch for is what Com number your USB adapter is using. Or the com number of your serial port on an older laptop.

Once you're physically connected, the next step is getting your head round the MS DOS type text based interface that you have with Cisco business switches. At first this will seem daunting. By the time you've configured 5 switches you'll start to get comfortable with it. By the time you've installed hundreds of switches you'll appreciate what a great time saving feature this is.

A little tip. When you power on an unconfigured Cisco switch you will be presented with the option to do a "quick configuration" on it. Say No to this. It's better to do a slow manual configuration, because this involves copying and pasting a pre-prepared config text file into the putty window, which is actually an amazingly fast and reliable way to configure these, once you've grasped what you're doing, and have someoene that knows what they're doing in creating the config text file.

Edit: also an unconfigured Cisco switch should still work for transfering data in your network.
If you power it on and connect your devices to it, do all the devices talk to each other? The same as if you had them all plugged into the RJ45 ports on your Router?
The configuration of the switch is for getting the best out of it for your network's needs.
Plenty of food for thought. Thanks.I had not considered trying it unconfigured. The device came without cables and adaptors. I. would not have paid more than what I did because of the setting up issues.
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc