Houdini

All general audio posts go here.
NSNO2021
Great Britain

Re: Houdini

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Latteman wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:42 pm https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284034234875
With hi-fi being so prone to geeky nonsense it's difficult to gauge whether this is for real or just a cute piss take 🤔
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post (total 2):
Latteman (Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:13 pm) • TheMarlin (Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:15 pm)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Only 10 pounds, so fun to try ...

Or get down to the DIY store and find the bits for yourself there.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

I'm surprised this thread has been resurrected. No one here seems to believe it could make a difference despite having not heard it .So why bother and offer options, because they are cheaper? Lots of stuff is. imo I don't think you can possibly offer alternatives/comparisons in sound reproduction at least until you have heard/ tried the one in contention?
Feel free to advise how I am wrong.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Ordinaryman wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:58 pm I'm surprised this thread has been resurrected. No one here seems to believe it could make a difference despite having not heard it
Then you should re-read the thread. Several have said they can believe it will do 'something'.
Ordinaryman wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:58 pm So why bother and offer options, because they are cheaper?
Why not?
Ordinaryman wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:58 pm imo I don't think you can possibly offer alternatives/comparisons in sound reproduction at least until you have heard/ tried the one in contention?
If they hadn't heard the Houdini then they couldn't offer a comparison, obviously, but there's nothing to stop anyone posting their thoughts about a similar item.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

I agree. unfortunately no one is offering anything about what they have heard just opinions on something they have not. yet still refer to cheaper alternatives. As for "believe it might do something" conjecture the the same as with "similar offerings" imo
I can assure you I read the thread.

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

For clarity. I have little desire to try houdini if only on price. I did however purchase another "isolation devise" for a lot less money and offered it here , free postage for anyone willing to listen to it. No takers, so what does that tell you?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Ordinaryman wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:38 pm I agree. unfortunately no one is offering anything about what they have heard just opinions on something they have not. yet still refer to cheaper alternatives. As for "believe it might do something" conjecture the the same as with "similar offerings" imo
I can assure you I read the thread.
The thread contains reports from 2 Houdini users.

Yes, it's true that many experienced members are sceptical about it. My own view is that it will do 'something' just by changing the effective mass, but the material value is so poor I don't want to try it. At £75, I might give it a go, at £300, no thanks. That's a personal choice, and I wouldn't put anyone off trying it (or reporting on it, here).

Have you tried it yourself? You said up-thread that you were tempted to do so.
I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

Ordinaryman wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:57 pm For clarity. I have little desire to try houdini if only on price. I did however purchase another "isolation devise" for a lot less money and offered it here , free postage for anyone willing to listen to it. No takers, so what does that tell you?
That they are happy with what they have got?
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
TheMarlin (Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:18 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

Ordinaryman wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:57 pm For clarity. I have little desire to try houdini if only on price. I did however purchase another "isolation devise" for a lot less money and offered it here , free postage for anyone willing to listen to it. No takers, so what does that tell you?
PS. How did you get on with the other 'isolation device' at you bought?
I am in the hi-fi trade

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

The whole point was to see what others thought as well. To post my findings prior to would have been pointless.
In all honesty however I didn't like it. Took away somethings, improved others, just not to my taste. Mind you I still use my 1983 lp12 and cheap MM cartridge's AT95Paratrace, Goldring 1022gx. voodoo for some here I suspect :mrgreen:
These users thanked the author Ordinaryman for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:04 pm) • NSNO2021 (Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:32 am)