Speakers placed across a room corner

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Speakers placed across a room corner

Unread post by karatestu »

Haven't swapped speakers over yet but I have fiddled a bit and Kate Bush's voice is now almost dead centre :dance: but it varies according to which song I listen to .

I have the speakers 5 ft (1.5M) apart across the corner of the room. The left speakers has ended up 4ft (1.2M) from the corner and the right speaker is 4 ft 9" (1.45M) from the corner. The forward firing tweeters are angled right at my head.

Generally it is advised to form an equilateral triangle between the speakers and the listening position. I think semi omni and omni speakers relax this rule a little. If i was to sit 5ft from my speakers it would be unpractical and I want the sound to be good for all my family if possible.

Currently I am sat 10 ft (3M) from the speakers :shock: It will be a similar distance at home as well. I don't want my speakers 10ft apart :naughty: As soon as I get over 6ft between speakers it starts to sound wrong to me. Maybe my hearing really is shagged.

Maybe there is something visual going on. People can't help what they see influencing what they hear. Maybe that has been happening here ? Although to be fair if that is true then my system must sound totally shocking :lol:
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Currently playing Portishead Dummy. This is THE torture album for testing my speakers. Many ideas have been shelved (never totally dismissed though) because of this CD. If something, whatever it is, makes me smile with this album then it gets examined some more. The bass on this can make or break an idea. Play other music and everything can be fine then put this on and :cry:

With the speakers across the corner I am hearing texture and details in the bass that I never knew were there :shock: . It sailed through Mysterons no problem at all. There is one note on Sour Times which raises an eyebrow, seems to resonate a little but I am not sure it is supposed to or not yet. Strangers is awesome, the best I have ever heard it in the bass department. It Could Be Sweet - no problem, full and rich but not booming. Wandering Star - the kick drum fat and meaty as hell and sounds awesome. Numb - this one is The tester on this album. Best I have ever heard it but a hint of a room mode on one of the notes. Thing is on artificial music like this one can sometimes get paranoid without knowing if one of the notes was mastered to be louder than the others. Roads - all good, in fact spell binding. Pedestal - the other big room shaker/ speaker destroyer on this album. The best I have ever heard it so far :dance: It's a big bass sound but it's not raving off at all. If this had been my isobaric 12 inchers playing then I think this 300 year old farmhouse would have been a pile of rubble if I played this one too much. Biscuit - marvellous. Last but not least, Glory Box - one note on this either falls on a speaker bass hump (enclosure too small) or a room node. Certainly the best I have heard it in this room though.

So, lots to be happy with and this is without a doubt the best rendition of this album I have had to date in this room. Definitely worth pursuing and refining.

I would encourage anybody to have a go at placing your speakers across a corner if it is practical. Nothing lost but a bit of time if it doesn't work for you and if it does improve your music then :dance: :dance: :dance:
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

I am getting used to this positioning now and think I have nailed down where they need to be in this room.

Very much enjoyed The Police Synchronicity and Zenyetta Mondatta. It is strange when you walk between the speakers and behind them to change a CD :lol: It's like you are inside the music especially with up and down firing mid bass and in firing tweeters. Sounds a bit like when having headphones on but with room interactions. Sounds bloody awesome there - I wish my listening position was there :lol:

I think what ever I come up with here will transfer to my room at home because they are similar dimensions. Difference is two of the walls here are solid stone nearly 2 ft thick and the other two are hollow timber frame with plasterboard to other rooms. At home all four walls there are brick with the exterior one having a bay window.

Currently playing Air - Moon Safari. There is PLENTY of bass on this album and again I am hearing subtle things I never could quite make out with both speakers along the same wall. The whole experience is more relaxed and the soundstage goes way back. I think it's going to be winner winner chicken dinner :dance:
DIY FREE ZONE