Linn Karousel

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Linn Karousel

Unread post by karatestu »

r3xj0hn570n wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:43 pm I've been collecting bits for years to make a nice belt drive TT. Some bits are from the LP12 (subchassis, bearing, inner platter), some from a Thorens (same), motors from R2R decks, arms from all over the place, and i can tell you that the linn bearing (of that era, plastic sleeved) was nothing special. The Thorens bearing and spindle had better materials and better tolerances. The linn inner platter was nicely machined, but the pressed metal subchassis was primitive to say the least. I have no idea what all the hype was about. It sounded similar to the AR turntable i had at the time. Not a bad thing, but <shrug>.
The pressed steel sub chassis is crap. And the arm board connected to it with some "lossy " screws :roll: Oh dear.
DIY FREE ZONE

Musicmadmaniam
Great Britain

Unread post by Musicmadmaniam »

Hi guys, newbie here, been ito hi fi since 1977 , ive had two LP12,s ist one in 1982 with a ittok and asak, was very happy with it and did the upgrades when i wanted to and afford them, sadly i sold it as i needed money, bitterly regretted doing so,
2nd one i got second hand for £250 12 years ago and had it serviced and got a Roksan Tabriz arm and then got a Ortofon Rondo bronze MC , deck is amazing with the cirkus bearing, not sure i will need to get this new bearing as its a lot of money, am thinking maybe get a 2nd hand lingo for £500 ive seen on Ebay from a dealer for it instead?
Anyone have a suggesting if this would be a better idea for the meantime? Thanks

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

A couple of LP12 owners, here.

Lots of LP12 owners at the Linn Forum (which is now at The WAM): https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/#linn-owners-forum.92

Personally, I would sell the Linn and buy a secondhand direct drive or idler drive, pocket the leftover cash and listen to records all day long. YMMV
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 2):
Lindsayt (Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:03 pm) • CN211276 (Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:49 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

Yep- a quartz lock direct drive or idler is hard to beat
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

Musicmadmaniam
Great Britain

Nothing wrong with my Linn so why get a direct drive deck? Ive heard hundreds of decks in my time and for me my Linn still beats them , remember when Pink Triangle bought out a deck as a rival to Linn, a real war of words happened back then....either camp Linn or camp triangle? Decks come and go but the Sondek keeps on going, ive heard some great decks too, but as long as you keep the upgrades sensible, you cannot go wrong...just my opinion, im sure il be told otherwise for sure?

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Musicmadmaniam wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:11 pm Nothing wrong with my Linn so why get a direct drive deck? Ive heard hundreds of decks in my time and for me my Linn still beats them , remember when Pink Triangle bought out a deck as a rival to Linn, a real war of words happened back then....either camp Linn or camp triangle? Decks come and go but the Sondek keeps on going, ive heard some great decks too, but as long as you keep the upgrades sensible, you cannot go wrong...just my opinion, im sure il be told otherwise for sure?
Might we know what items make up the rest of your system, please?

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Linn aren't too popular here, but that has more to do with the aggressive marketing tactics and pricing strategies that they use.

My deck was also a 'Sondek-beater' back in the 80's, from a company that fell foul of the 'Flat Earth' mentality.

The LP12 is an okay TT and if you like it then you like it. But opinions here may not share your tastes.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Musicmadmaniam wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:11 pm Nothing wrong with my Linn so why get a direct drive deck? Ive heard hundreds of decks in my time and for me my Linn still beats them , remember when Pink Triangle bought out a deck as a rival to Linn, a real war of words happened back then....either camp Linn or camp triangle? Decks come and go but the Sondek keeps on going, ive heard some great decks too, but as long as you keep the upgrades sensible, you cannot go wrong...just my opinion, im sure il be told otherwise for sure?
Yep, that's definitely your opinion.

And my opinion, is definitely my opinion...and you did go onto a public forum to ask for advice. You got some, you may get some more. What you do with that advice is up to you, but don't complain about getting it when you asked for it.

To paraphrase Stewart Lee...you came to see us, and we are us. Shrugs shoulders.

Like I said, your mileage may vary.

PS. The best Linn I've heard was, I think, with Circus bearing, Ecos arm and Troica cartridge, and may well have been Lingo'd.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I take it the sub chassis is the original steel one ? If so that's one option. Anologue Innovation do a good value for money after market sub chasis.

What psu have you got now ? I have a Lingo1 and a Avondale Audio Taps2. Never heard anything else on my LP12. I think a lot of people having Trigger's broom LP12's these days.

Linn prices are crazy money in fact insulting. The third party sellers are much better value if you are staying with the LP12 (many do love it). A Lingo1 maybe a good step up depending on what you have now.
DIY FREE ZONE

Musicmadmaniam
Great Britain

I have put rest of my system on another post title but il do it again here

Linn Sondek, Roksan Tabriz arm with Ortofon Rondo Bronze MC cartridge
Audio Note AN-S2 Step up tranformer
Audio Note M2 Phono pre amp
AudioNote P2 power amp
All using correct AudioNote connection leads
Meridian G07 CD player
Kef Reference 104's ( been completly rebuilt and sounds amazing!)
Audionote speaker stands filled with kitty litter and granite tops for extra mass and stability.
Apollo low resistance speaker cable

I have to agree that Linn did have an agressive sales policy alongside Naim as well
( remember the sales pitch of must buy a.Linn with Naim amps!)well i never subscribed to that mandate as i have a brain and can think for myself, but i always said....if it sounds good to you, then that is all that matters.
Yes i know a lot of people not like Linns and what they stand for about getting people to part with cash for certain upgrades where other companies make a deck and keep it that way!
As James Brown said in his song....ive got mine...not worried about his!
And that my friends is the nub of it all!
If we all liked the same stuff itl be pretty boring huh!
These users thanked the author Musicmadmaniam for the post:
savvypaul (Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:58 pm)