Linn Karousel

All general audio posts go here.
Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Re: Linn Karousel

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

All I can see so far is prejudice, speculation and a massive bias. Having looked at the backlog of this subject linn lp12 here, I realize that more than a few here once owned one and still feel bitter :mrgreen: Some years later, Why? you have moved on have you not :-? Any mention of linn here produces derision and :grin: :grin: :grin: . I feel no "stigma" in owning mine since 1984 and still using it today with, no "updates " for mine though, just the servicing. Before anyone tells me different, yes there maybe better decks I for one cant afford them. neither can I afford to buy ,plinth ,arm etc to make my gl75 better (different DQ), which the linn replaced I might ad. The fact that 50? years late people up in arms says something, does it not? Maybe, just maybe they are the ones who followed the hype and possibly still do. :epopc:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Nice speech, but you are missing the point.

It's a bearing.
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post (total 2):
SteveTheShadow (Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:31 pm) • Geoff.R.G (Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:39 pm)

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Speech ,it was never meant to be. Just a reflection of what's been posted. Its a bearing. Mine for one has never been changed since 1984.
So, what exactly is the point that I am missing?

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Ordinaryman wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:32 pm Speech ,it was never meant to be. Just a reflection of what's been posted. Its a bearing. Mine for one has never been changed since 1984.
So, what exactly is the point that I am missing?
The point is "If it 'aint broke, don't fix it".

Most of us see no "need" for Linn to produce a new bearing and suspect it as a cynical way to get money out of loyal customers. Considering that for the price, £750 probably ex fitting, one can purchase a decent turntable I think somebody is being taken for a ride.

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

If it ant broke don't fix it. Never have. £750 for a decent turntable? show me, I don't mean something ill need to spend money on. Mine cost me £249.00 or there about in 82/83. suggest a replacement at similar cost? Taken for a ride?

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Mine cost £312.

I did have the arm and cartridge. Plus lot of man hours. But everything I do is with one arm/hand

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

After inflation, £249 in 1982 becomes £888 in 2020.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

I would respectfully suggest that neither your lenco l59 or Garrad 401 fall within that ?

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Ordinaryman wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:35 pm If it ant broke don't fix it. Never have. £750 for a decent turntable? show me, I don't mean something ill need to spend money on. Mine cost me £249.00 or there about in 82/83. suggest a replacement at similar cost? Taken for a ride?
I don't remember what my TD160 turntable cost, but I still have the receipt, however 40 years later it still has the original bearing. The price for the current iteration is £2,400 with arm (mine came without). There is a model lower down the range at £729, a direct drive at that. I haven't heard that Thorens are any less good than they used to be.

Yes taken for a ride, if there is nothing wrong with the original bearing, £750 seems like a very high price to achieve... Well you tell me what the new bearing achieves because I have no idea. Then again I wouldn't pay the asking price for a Linn turntable in the first place. I have mentioned previously that when the Linn Sondek was first reviewed it was rubbished by the magazines I have no clue as to why they changed their tune.

Am I missing something here, does a turntable that costs £399 automatically sound less good than one that costs £7,000? I suggest that it rather depends on one's expectations. The question has to be is the £7,000 turntable 17 times as good? Silly question, of course it isn't!

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Ordinaryman wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:22 pm I would respectfully suggest that neither your lenco l59 or Garrad 401 fall within that ?
Motor unit wise...(both secondhand, of course):

I bought the 401 and had the current plinth fitted for a total of under £800.

The Lenco was £325 refurbished and replinthed when I first got it (I subsequently put it in a bigger plinth with two tonearms).

Hard to say what the Garrards and Lencos would cost new. In their day they were made in good numbers, so their was economy of scale and readily available tooling and machinery. Now, they would, I'm sure be far more expensive to make from scratch.

They are both absolutely better to listen to than a £45k Clearaudio.

I don't think it would be a wildly incredible suggestion to say that the Linn has increased dramatically in price, in real terms, when the equivalent money today only buys you a bearing.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/