'well Ive tried it and I ain't a clue whether it's better, it's inconclusive'

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: Panzerholz, magic or myth.

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Lindsayt wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:01 am
CaterhamKev wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:44 am
savvypaul wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:04 pm

I think DQ is being clear that he wants an improvement rather than a difference. You might have learnt that on an earlier thread ;)
And there lies the problem. How is changing the plinth material going to make an improvement, rather than just being different?

Edited by moderator to remove ad hominem. Please play the ball and not the man.
With a device as microphonic as a turntable, it's easy to imagine how a change in plinth material could result in a better overall sound.

It's one of those things that's worth trying if it can be done for not a lot of money.
Interestingly one of the reasons for the suspension on a Linn turntable is, allegedly, to reduce feedback to the stylus. In using many microphones over the years it has very rarely been the suspension/support that has been the problem, more often it is poor positioning and excessive gain that are responsible for feedback. That said, a turntable on a solidly constructed shelf attached to a supporting wall, or on a solid stand on a concrete floor really shouldn't suffer overly from feedback. A good solid plinth is far less likely to affect the sound than a hollow box (which is all many a plinth is). I would expect that replacing such a plinth with one made from, for example, Panzerholz would make a beneficial difference. Perhaps I'll have a go once I can visit a timber merchant, I'll probably use hardwood though.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
savvypaul (Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:34 pm)

CaterhamKev
Christmas Island

Unread post by CaterhamKev »

My last post on this forum is going to be a useful one. You may struggle to find Panzerholz wasiky in the UK, as the importers are no more.

As posted on another forum "Andrew Cunningham has retired, L T Lewis are no more, and Panzerholz is no longer readily available in the UK"

Best of luck with the search. I am sure you will find an alternative source if you go ahead with this.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

That's a remarkably niche flounce, Kev :lol:
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

He's also wrong, it wasn't useful. Everybody is capable of reading other forums.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

CaterhamKev wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:35 am My last post on this forum is going to be a useful one. You may struggle to find Panzerholz wasiky in the UK, as the importers are no more.

As posted on another forum "Andrew Cunningham has retired, L T Lewis are no more, and Panzerholz is no longer readily available in the UK"

Best of luck with the search. I am sure you will find an alternative source if you go ahead with this.
I am at a loss to understand why anyone should have such difficulty in understanding the concept that a resonant box sitting underneath a turntable may not be the best idea. Sure there is going to be a cavity of some sort but the stiffer the material, and the smaller the cavity, the less likely it is to excite a response at the cartridge. The reasoning and mechanics behind it are unimportant, those who have tried solid plinths appear to think they work and it is, relatively, cheap.

I also find it difficult to see why someone should object when a piece of equipment is considered expensive by fellow members. The way NVA equipment is sold makes it attractive to those who want value for money which may be why the same people are reluctant to try a £300 experiment.

Oh by the way, if I were to spend £300 upgrading my turntable a better cartridge would make much more sense than Houdini. Sorry to see you go Kev but please excuse us if we have different views, the world is like that.

Daniel Quinn

I don't see anybody objecting to just the price of the houdini.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Daniel Quinn wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:58 am I don't see anybody objecting to just the price of the houdini.
Not objecting specifically but comments have been made about the price.

Daniel Quinn

I think it was cost to make versus price. But as I said pricing is a black art and if it did everything the manufactures say, it would be a bargain.

Alas life ain't so simple.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:50 pm I think it was cost to make versus price. But as I said pricing is a black art and if it did everything the manufactures say, it would be a bargain.

Alas life ain't so simple.
I think you are correct, my mistake.

If everything did what was claimed for it there would be no need for new products, funny old world.