Copper cornucopia.

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: Copper cornucopia.

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I've got my eye on a silver wired tonearm cable from them, good to know.

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

btw I have no idea why AliExpress links me to non UK AliExpress sites, it usually links me a Dutch version which might be because I started using it after Fretless sent me a link for something, the Russian link is baffling, but the parts are the ones I purchased. I prefer the build quality of the Gotham Audio RCA plugs if money is not an issue.
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

luckyredfish
Great Britain

Unread post by luckyredfish »

Thanks .

BadgerBeerIsBest
Great Britain

Unread post by BadgerBeerIsBest »

Please excuse my lack of knowledge in all things electrical but does the physical size of the binding post, phono socket, whatever make any difference?
I always thought Naim used Din plugs because the actual pins in the plugs weren't a lot different in size from the wire they were attached to.
QED XT 400 speaker cable I believe is like coax cable with the signal traveling down the braid type thing, this was done as they said the actual electrical signal did not go through the centre core of the wire but around the outside, so my layman's thinking is the electric signal travels quite happily down the cable until it hits a big lump of brass, copper plug or socket. (a small amount of sniggering is acceptable) Obviously ? this would have less of an effect with an amplified signal in a speaker cable than an interconnect lead. ( ok to laugh now but no pointing,,,,,,,,, please)
Don't gas my Badger........it's not Lager..!

Daniel Quinn

Assuming sound is determined by voltage and other electrical parameters, then size would not seem to make a difference.

By way of an example
If I botch up the soldering and only solder half the wire, I still get the correct voltage delivered.
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post:
BadgerBeerIsBest (Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:55 pm)

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:31 am Assuming sound is determined by voltage and other electrical parameters, then size would not seem to make a difference.

By way of an example
If I botch up the soldering and only solder half the wire, I still get the correct voltage delivered.
Assuming we are talking interconnects, the size of the connector makes very little difference as the input stage is a voltage device and there is little current involved, thus very little voltage drop across any resistance. However, larger pins are more robust, I have seen bent pins in DIN plugs but never in an XLR, phono plugs have a large, often hollow, pin which is fairly robust. A larger pin tends to have a larger contact area so lower contact resistance. A botched solder joint, as suggested, will simply introduce resistance.

Speakers are current devices and the size of the conductor, and thus the pins/terminals, makes a difference. Higher current equates to more voltage drop across any resistance and some losses. Thus a bigger binding post is likely to make some difference.

Coaxial cable for speakers is a bad idea because the amplifier sees a capacitor (Paul will tell you what NVA amps think of capacitive loads).
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post (total 3):
NSNO2021 (Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:46 am) • savvypaul (Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:17 am) • BadgerBeerIsBest (Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:56 pm)

Daniel Quinn

I was talking any and all.

Amp boards for instance ,I've soldered half the wire and it still operates at 44v volts. I presume the bit I neglected to solder sends 44 volts in to the ether.

BadgerBeerIsBest
Great Britain

Unread post by BadgerBeerIsBest »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:36 am
Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:31 am Assuming sound is determined by voltage and other electrical parameters, then size would not seem to make a difference.

By way of an example
Assuming we are talking interconnects, the size of the connector makes very little difference as the input stage is a voltage device and there is little current involved, thus very little voltage drop across any resistance. However, larger pins are more robust, I have seen bent pins in DIN plugs but never in an XLR, phono plugs have a large, often hollow, pin which is fairly robust. A larger pin tends to have a larger contact area so lower contact resistance. A botched solder joint, as suggested, will simply introduce resistance.

Speakers are current devices and the size of the conductor, and thus the pins/terminals, makes a difference. Higher current equates to more voltage drop across any resistance and some losses. Thus a bigger binding post is likely to make some difference.

Coaxial cable for speakers is a bad idea because the amplifier sees a capacitor (Paul will tell you what NVA amps think of capacitive loads).
Thank you Geoff & Daniel.
Don't gas my Badger........it's not Lager..!