Copper cornucopia.

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Copper cornucopia.

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

When I've finished dicking about, I'm going to put all my findings in to an ultimate build.

So far I've settled on a 500va transformer. Not yet decided if the make, makes a difference for me.

Captive mains lead. And I'm not doing class a as it gets to hot and needs to be bigger than I'm prepared to go.

That it so far.

Copper terminals have occupied some thoughts. The first thing to say, is its never pure copper as it would be to soft. It's usually called berlium (?) copper.

These are marketed in opposition to the gold plated base metals. Is there anything in this, what do you use.

I used to be an advocate of these and hard wiring. Staunchly stating I could hear a difference. Having one hand/arm as meant convienance as had to play a more significant role. No hard wiring or copper.

I not been able to tell the difference and its not interfered with my enjoyment.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: Copper cornucopia.

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Beryllium Copper is a very strong alloy used for, amongst other things, non sparking tools. It is also relatively expensive. I have to admit to never having considered the materials used in the construction of connectors, particularly in Hi-Fi where these are almost exclusively phono plugs. I know the pins in Neutric XLRs are an alloy and usually silver or gold plated but I haven't even tried to determine whether this affects the sound.

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

I have used tellurium copper where ever possible, so all my RCA connectors, my amps, speaker binding posts and my modified LS6 speaker cables. I never had the opportunity to A/B tests apart from the RCA leads which did sound better. What I will say is my system does sound good. I shopped around to avoid the silly prices some people are asking. AliExpress was good for binding posts, UK eBay for the RCA connectors
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Did you worry you only had the sellers word that they were genuine and you ain't a b testing.

Also I reckon if they have a benefit, you have to have them throughout. I fail to understand how a heard the benefit of copper rca's in the past. Of course you never know.

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Good point DQ. Being a tad wary of this I took a file to everything I bought. Of the four suppliers I used, one was a con, the RCA plugs were simply plated brass but the other 3 were definitely copper. eBay were quick to provide a refund. Both AliExpress orders were fine.
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

NSNO2021
Great Britain

You might be surprised and amused to hear I agree with about using it throughout.
As it stands, my pre amp, CD transport, DAC & phono stage all have standard terminals so I have someway to go but I will eventually get there. As for hearing the difference, I honestly believe I can tell the difference between suitable and unsuitable cables in my system but telling the difference between standard and replacement tellurium copper binding posts is difficult in isolation.
Last edited by NSNO2021 on Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luckyredfish
Great Britain

Unread post by luckyredfish »

nilsatisnisioptimum wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:14 pm Good point DQ. Being a tad wary of this I took a file to everything I bought. Of the four suppliers I used, one was a con, the RCA plugs were simply plated brass but the other 3 were definitely copper. eBay were quick to provide a refund. Both AliExpress orders were fine.
What about a link to the genuine copper RCA plugs please .

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Happy to do so when I get back to my lap top👍

luckyredfish
Great Britain

Unread post by luckyredfish »

Thank you .

NSNO2021
Great Britain