Hi Fi in Phnom Penh

All general audio posts go here.
antonio66
Great Britain

Re: Hi Fi in Phnom Penh

Unread post by antonio66 »

My problem is caused by no earth in the mains supply Marlin.

antonio66
Great Britain

Fretless wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:36 am If I run my fingertip lightly over the top of the Topping there is a very subtle vibration that can just be felt. Extremely slight and high in frequency. Do you have the same Antonio?

Edit: like running your finger over silk cloth.
Sorry Fretless, I either didn't see this reply or somehow forgot to reply. I can never remember feeling a subtle vibration but it is possible since I never really felt for anything, with mine the feeling is not all that subtle.

antonio66
Great Britain

Well what a nightmare three weeks I've had, music stopped playing through my mini pc after another Windows 10 download, this happens after 2 out of 3 of their downloads, mostly to do with sound driver, well I've always managed to sort it, but not this time. I've been on the internet and and You Tube trying to follow advice given and their methods, finally contacted Microsoft helpline and over the next week 2 more times until finally I had deleted everything and loaded a complete new Windows 10 installation on the pc. Then it was time to download Foobar2000 and star playing music again, well not as easy a it seems when you start adding Components from their list as recommended by someone on YouTube, his suggestions seemed sensible and there was only 6 to sort out which I eventually managed to get inputted, adjusted the Preference setting and away we go. Not a chance, been trying to sort Foobar2000 out for days, deleting the original download and starting again, thinking I've got more experience with it now, but could not get working. Well having seen Musicbee recommended thought I'd give that a go, the only problem was finding the files on my external hard drive, why aren't file names easier to see, on mine I've tried Elements (D:), no, then added music to that, again no, tried various options but with no success. Then I have tried to do it a different way and search for music files and eventually came up with something like D:/, what I've been into files and nothing like this show up at the top of the screen? >:D Well I managed to download my library onto Music bee and I actually have music playing now, an assortment from recently downloaded music :D All I have to do now is get my head round this app and start enjoying. Two questions, firstly does anyone know where my Musicbee library is stored? is it on the pc or are they still going to my external hard drive to play music from. Secondly, and I know this can be done, does anyone know of a way to completely stop Windows down loads/updates onto my pc, please feel free to pm me with those details.
Nearly forgot, I read that losing your sound drivers is a very common complaint and happens to many using Windows, why the hell then have Microsoft not got this sorted, it's a disgrace, after all the user has paid them directly or indirectly for use of. I might as well add, I'm listening now and although I have the same memory span as a goldfish, it does seem to sound better than with Foobar, just more easy to listen to

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Windows updates are a real pain when they decide to change setting. I am sure Microsoft know that users don't want their settings changed but that doesn't stop them. I spent a couple of months in Redmond on a course so I know the area as it was. If I were still there I think Microsoft would be pretty fed up with me. Mind you if I were anywhere near Cupertino I'd be dropping in there too. What is it with software manufacturers, is that the right word? Seems they get one thing right and break something else.

Hope you can get it working before the next update,
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
antonio66 (Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:37 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

antonio66 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:21 pm Well what a nightmare three weeks I've had, music stopped playing through my mini pc after another Windows 10 download, this happens after 2 out of 3 of their downloads, mostly to do with sound driver, well I've always managed to sort it, but not this time. I've been on the internet and and You Tube trying to follow advice given and their methods, finally contacted Microsoft helpline and over the next week 2 more times until finally I had deleted everything and loaded a complete new Windows 10 installation on the pc. Then it was time to download Foobar2000 and star playing music again, well not as easy a it seems when you start adding Components from their list as recommended by someone on YouTube, his suggestions seemed sensible and there was only 6 to sort out which I eventually managed to get inputted, adjusted the Preference setting and away we go. Not a chance, been trying to sort Foobar2000 out for days, deleting the original download and starting again, thinking I've got more experience with it now, but could not get working. Well having seen Musicbee recommended thought I'd give that a go, the only problem was finding the files on my external hard drive, why aren't file names easier to see, on mine I've tried Elements (D:), no, then added music to that, again no, tried various options but with no success. Then I have tried to do it a different way and search for music files and eventually came up with something like D:/, what I've been into files and nothing like this show up at the top of the screen? >:D Well I managed to download my library onto Music bee and I actually have music playing now, an assortment from recently downloaded music :D All I have to do now is get my head round this app and start enjoying. Two questions, firstly does anyone know where my Musicbee library is stored? is it on the pc or are they still going to my external hard drive to play music from. Secondly, and I know this can be done, does anyone know of a way to completely stop Windows down loads/updates onto my pc, please feel free to pm me with those details.
Nearly forgot, I read that losing your sound drivers is a very common complaint and happens to many using Windows, why the hell then have Microsoft not got this sorted, it's a disgrace, after all the user has paid them directly or indirectly for use of. I might as well add, I'm listening now and although I have the same memory span as a goldfish, it does seem to sound better than with Foobar, just more easy to listen to
Sorry to hear of your woes Dave. If that had happened to me it would be sledgehammer time. Sorry I can't help but somebody surely will.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
antonio66 (Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:37 am)
DIY FREE ZONE

antonio66
Great Britain

My brother looked on the internet yesterday for ways to stop updates and he's sent me a link, I haven't looked at it yet, it was quite late here when it came, so I will be having a go at it later today
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
karatestu (Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:44 am)

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Having suffered repeated sound problems with Windows updates we found that deactivating sound cards made a difference. The particular computer is used as part of a display/streaming system an uses multiple graphics cards, which also have sound, as well as a dedicated sound card. All complicated by the presence of sound and graphics on the motherboard.

Windows doesn’t appear to be very happy with being told how to use multiple outputs, it seems much happier with having just one, preferably onboard, when it plays nicely.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
antonio66 (Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:19 am)

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

There is a program called 'O&O Shutup 10' that I use on all my Windows computers.
It allows you to individually disable / switch off various features of the operating system that you don't want / need / like.
Including the automatic updates.
Speeds W10 up a lot, too.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Otherwise you could consider ditching Windows altogether and installing Volumio X86.
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post (total 2):
CN211276 (Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:52 pm) • antonio66 (Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:19 am)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Fretless wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:48 pm There is a program called 'O&O Shutup 10' that I use on all my Windows computers.
It allows you to individually disable / switch off various features of the operating system that you don't want / need / like.
Including the automatic updates.
Speeds W10 up a lot, too.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Otherwise you could consider ditching Windows altogether and installing Volumio X86.
Thanks, that looks useful.

antonio66
Great Britain

Well everything looking up, the link was exceptionally easy to follow, and I did both methods as advised https://techsable.com/stop-windows-10-updates/
Mr Fretless, I think I will try Volumio, but it will have to wait till I return o the uk and get some help, if a problem arose I don't know anyone here to help in installing it although I was on the verge of having a go two days ago: Well I've had a look at the menu on Musicbee, it's mind numbing the amount of stuff that can be done, the only problem is I don't know how to do it since I don't know what all the things are: Had a go yesterday and already I've done something I didn't want so will try and reverse that :think: but the sound quality is very good, better than Foobar2000