Hi Fi in Phnom Penh

All general audio posts go here.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Hi Fi in Phnom Penh

Unread post by savvypaul »

I would take the ifi supply out and put the original Topping supply back in...then check.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

If I run my fingertip lightly over the top of the Topping there is a very subtle vibration that can just be felt. Extremely slight and high in frequency. Do you have the same Antonio?

Edit: like running your finger over silk cloth.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Maybe some damping on the interior of the case would help - bitumen with aluminum foil backing. Don't do it if the case is the heatsink though.
DIY FREE ZONE

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Well having spoken to someone this morning, the answer, there is no earthing for the electricity supply here: It did make me think 'were is the earth' so well done Fretless: My friend said "is it the same as this" and walked over to his fish tank and you could feel the same effect with that, strange though how I never noticed it with a Topping amp and a TPA3116 amp: I'm going to order this, it may or may not make a difference https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001234 ... 2e0ec9EXAF and a cable to go with it https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000749 ... 2e0ec9EXAF
Thanks for every ones help yet again
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
Fretless (Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:44 pm)

antonio66
Great Britain

Just a quick update, I purchased on of these in Phnom Penh www.clef-audio.com/show_products_detail ... 21&lang=th made in Thailand by Clef Audio. It has helped with sound quality, I was worried about powering the amp using this but everything's fine. It has not helped in anyway with the earthing problem which someone said it could maybe help.
I also tried a stock power cable against the Chinese one I purchased and could not tell any difference although the new one was very cheap.
Also tried a comparison with the inter connects I purchased and the NVA SC's I had, again could not detect any differences, neither of these results surprised me.
Still waiting to get some extra supports fitted to the speaker stands, a friend has the tools at his place, but has been busy of late, hopefully get them sorted in a day or two.
slinger (Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:01 pm)

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

Not sure how important an earth is to your system. If you want one, sink a 1m or so copper spike / tube in damp ground and wire any earth connection to that.

In UK the spike is a standard electrical item as is the clamp for the earth wire. I used Vaseline on the connection to reduce corrosion. You may take a more purist approach but then it will need to be cleaned every so often.
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

antonio66
Great Britain

Thanks for that Mick, unfortunately I don't have anywhere to sink the copper pipe, the only 'earth' I have would be one of the large tubs with plants in which sits on the balcony. :grin:
slinger (Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:20 pm)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Message and photo from antonio66...

I am changing rooms and although I still haven't finished the speaker stands I thought I'd better get a photo of the system as is, since I have previously talked about having the speakers set across the corner of the room.

These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 2):
slinger (Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:24 pm) • CycleCoach (Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:38 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

savvypaul wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:01 pm Message and photo from antonio66...

I am changing rooms and although I still haven't finished the speaker stands I thought I'd better get a photo of the system as is, since I have previously talked about having the speakers set across the corner of the room.

Mine are like that too. I like it much better than both on the same wall.
DIY FREE ZONE

TheMarlin
Great Britain

Unread post by TheMarlin »

antonio66 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:48 pm Did my first comparison of the the cable changes made today and since it was the easiest I swopped back in my old Maplins usb cable, this was only changed since it is 3m long and 1/2m was all that was needed: This is the cable that was purchased www.aliexpress.com/item/32947178602.htm ... 4c4dzQs63S The main differences were the bass and sound stage, the Maplin cable felt bass light compared to the YYTCG, and also 2 dimensional: I hadn't noticed this before since my usual seating position isn't perfect, but for this comparison I moved the chair and made myself comfortable: The YYTCG cable added so much depth to the Alison Krauss - Forget About It album I was a little taken aback: Listening to Chris Johns - Roadhouses & Automobiles, on one of the tracks I felt I should move the speakers away from the wall a foot or two, yet moving to where I normally sit, further away and slightly off centre, the bass seemed just about right, this would not be a problem on most albums since the bass is very strong on this album
I do have a question though, I have noticed that when I touch the case on my Topping D30 I can feel it vibrating, sometimes more than others, can anyone make a suggestion why? For now I have placed a weight (concrete block) on the top of the case
My Schiit Mani does the same thing, but only after it’s been on for a while. Might be a static thing....
Modded Belles A150 MK2, P90SA, & NVA SSP cables, and LS5.
Leak Stereo 20 & First Audio Classic Copper V2
Modded Lenco GL75 with Saturn arm, heavy custom plinth. Nagaoka MP500.
Nottingham Audio Hyperspace + heavy kit, + Origin Live Conqueror + Koetsu Black
Tom Evans Micro Grove MK2 MC phono
Bluesound Node2i (x2) both with latest power upgrades.
Topping D90MQA and Topping D90SE
Audiolab 6000 CDT transport.
All NVA cables