Subversive

All general audio posts go here.
Chunk McDaniel
Has thanked: 0

Subversive

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

Well I have finally done it. I've went against Richard's advice and added two subwoofers to my Cube 2's. I took delivery of 2× BK xls 200ff's a couple of weeks ago. All I can say is I'm so glad I did. This is the best music I have heard in my room ever.
The set up was simple. I made the connections using the subs high kevel inputs straight from the back of the Cube2's making for a very short run of cable and using the provided speak on lead. Integration was a breeze and you honestly wouldn't know they were there if you couldn't see them. The Cube2's just sound as if they now have an extra couple of octaves of solid clean bass.
The amazing thing for me is the extra sense of space with no timing issues. I have a 2 track Jazz recording made in a church in Brooklyn. This has no compression and very little in the way of production and always sounded marvelous before. I could always get a great sense of the room. Now I feel as though I'm in the room.
The subs have had such an amazing effect on my music and not really just the bass but seems to have opened up the sound and allowed everything space to breath.
I always trusted Richard's opinion and know he didn't think subs added anything but to my ears in my system they are a revelation.
These users thanked the author Chunk McDaniel for the post (total 2):
NSNO2021 (Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:08 am) • antonio66 (Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:26 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Subversive

Unread post by karatestu »

I can't see your pic. :(

I am glad it floats your boat.

Are you using the subs as speaker stands? That's what I would do .
DIY FREE ZONE

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Subs as speaker stands is an interesting idea👍
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

If you wire an active amplifier (in the subwoofer) in series with your Cube 2s, which you appear to be doing (although, I can't view the photos) then you leave open the possibility of the active amp in your subwoofer returning full DC to your Cubes, which will fry the Cubes and quite possibly the amps, also. Think about it, you are connecting active amps (NVA) to another active amp (subwoofer). NVA is not filtered or protected against such a scenario.

The way to connect the subwoofers to your system is from the passive preamp outputs.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
Latteman (Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:57 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Chunk McDaniel

My initial idea was to place the Cubes on top. In order to get them to ear height I was planning on making a spacer piece but for now they are on the floor just inside of each speaker stand. May just leave it at that. My Cubes just sound so good. I would never have believed the difference to acoustic music. The best money I have spent on HiFi since I moved to NVA.
Not sure about posting pictures.

Chunk McDaniel

Hope this works.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Chunk McDaniel wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:02 am My initial idea was to place the Cubes on top. In order to get them to ear height I was planning on making a spacer piece but for now they are on the floor just inside of each speaker stand. May just leave it at that. My Cubes just sound so good. I would never have believed the difference to acoustic music. The best money I have spent on HiFi since I moved to NVA.
Not sure about posting pictures.
You may have missed my post. So, here it is, again:

If you wire an active amplifier (in the subwoofer) in series with your Cube 2s, which you appear to be doing (although, I can't view the photos) then you leave open the possibility of the active amp in your subwoofer returning full DC to your Cubes, which will fry the Cubes and quite possibly the amps, also. Think about it, you are connecting active amps (NVA) to another active amp (subwoofer). NVA is not filtered or protected against such a scenario.

The way to connect the subwoofers to your system is from the passive preamp outputs.
I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

A nice, easy way to post photos...

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=50321
I am in the hi-fi trade

Chunk McDaniel

I hear what you are saying Paul. The high level input on the subs is the preferred method of connection. Not sure of the engineering but supposedly the amps do not even see the load. This is preferred to prevent timing issues and preserve the character of the power amps.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Chunk McDaniel wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:17 am I hear what you are saying Paul. The high level input on the subs is the preferred method of connection. Not sure of the engineering but supposedly the amps do not even see the load. This is preferred to prevent timing issues and preserve the character of the power amps.
Well, I am sure of the engineering.

You are using NVA power amps, aren't you?
I am in the hi-fi trade