Speaker stands

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Speaker stands

Unread post by karatestu »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:21 am Stu, I'm going to be controversial, four legs like that introduce the possibility that one will not be in full contact with the floor, either because the floor isn't level or the legs are very slightly different lengths. I therefore suggest you use three per speaker where they will all be in solid contact with the floor.
Thanks Geoff & Paul. Yes, I agree three legs is the best thing to do as long as it looks ok and doesn't interfere with the down firing driver.

Any comments on the aesthetics in general or suitability / sound ? About £22 per speaker including postage :dance:
DIY FREE ZONE

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Not sure if they will have the strength / rigidity that you need for a heavy speaker cabinet.

How will you level them?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

savvypaul wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:56 am Not sure if they will have the strength / rigidity that you need for a heavy speaker cabinet.

How will you level them?
I did wonder about their load carrying ability, I would imagine that they would splay under the load of a heavy speaker. Levelling would require shims between the speaker and mounting plate, I don't see bending them as an option.

My preference would be a wooden stand with adjustable spikes in the ends of the legs. Three legs are going to be easier to level than four and only two need to be adjustable.

karatestu
Great Britain

I hadn't thought about levelling :roll:

Not sure how heavy my speakers are going to be yet. I suppose there might be a chance they would splay.

I will think about it more :think:
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

A bit more digging about the steel hairpin legs here https://www.thehairpinlegcompany.co. ... ich-legs

They are used for benches and a set of four 16" / 40cm legs will support 140 kg with 10mm steel legs and 250 kg for the 12mm legs.

My foot square speakers are going to weigh 25 Kg (bag of cement) tops I would think. Probably no where as much as 25 Kg

Thinking about levelling, the underside of the leg could be drilled and tapped for 6 mm threaded spikes maybe.?
DIY FREE ZONE

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

karatestu wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:20 pm Thinking about levelling, the underside of the leg could be drilled and tapped for 6 mm threaded spikes maybe.?
Think that one through again Stu, the leg section is 12mm and you propose to drill a 5mm hole in it and tap for M6, that doesn't leave much room for error. You will have just 3mm either side of the hole, there won't be much meat left.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
karatestu (Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:18 pm)

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

+2 workers in the old mills with uneven floors used stools for a very good reason
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

I also think three legs are easier on the eye 👍
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Some Harbeth owners use these: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/oddvar-sto ... -20249330/

These could also be adapted: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/nilsolle-b ... -10462123/

3 leg would be better, though...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

karatestu
Great Britain

Geoff.R.G wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:21 pm
karatestu wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:20 pm Thinking about levelling, the underside of the leg could be drilled and tapped for 6 mm threaded spikes maybe.?
Think that one through again Stu, the leg section is 12mm and you propose to drill a 5mm hole in it and tap for M6, that doesn't leave much room for error. You will have just 3mm either side of the hole, there won't be much meat left.
Doh, I wasn't thinking was I :doh:

Found some spikes with a 4 mm thread which is more like it :dance:
DIY FREE ZONE