Speaker stands

All general audio posts go here.
antonio66
Great Britain

Re: Speaker stands

Unread post by antonio66 »

Well you are going to go with open stands, something like this, https://guildfordaudio.co.uk/brands/cus ... ker-stands
I'm not keen on one pedestal stands, unless maybe it runs from the front to the back, preferring a pillar at each of the 4 corners for stability purpose: In fact I'm in the process of changing mine, had two poles placed in the middle but have today purchased some more wood and will put a pole at each of the 4 corner: I must admit I now have a preference for wooden racks if well made, good thick top and bottom plates (you can disregard the top plate Stu) and make sure the bottom plate it larger than the top
Here's a link to HiFi Racks wooden speaker stands, although I'm sure you can 'knock up a pair' Stu, and my guess is you'd be looking at 50 - 60cm's in height

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Thanks for your opinion Dave. Keep them coming everybody, please. This is a once only build, I am likely to use these speakers and stands for the rest of my days (hopefully).

I am in a unique situation with stands because of the down firing mid bass and the fact that the bipole design produces much less cabinet vibration. The more uprights there are (and other stand parts) the more surface there is for the sound that comes from the down firing driver to bounce off. My thoughts were to minimise that aspect if possible but who knows, it might make no difference at all.

I was planning on having the down firing mid bass mounted on the outside of the cab and not rebated, just like the NVA Cubes. The top plate of the stand will require a hole in it which is just big enough for the driver to "sit" in. The bottom of the speaker will then be flush with the driver.

An open stand with no top or bottom plate needs connecting struts between the legs to make it rigid. I didn't like the idea of that because of the sound waves from the down firing driver. Call me paranoid but that was what was going through my head. And making them heavy so the brats can't knock them over.

My intension is to bolt the top plate of the stand to the speaker cabinet itself so it can't be knocked off. All bolts countersunk of course :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

karatestu wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:41 pm Thank Terry. Your monopod looks good.

I couldn't sleep at night though with a base plate that small :shock: You don't seem to have a top plate on it either :shock:
I thought about a top plate - probably should put one on. They haven't fallen over (or off) yet. :grin: I'd have to weigh them properly but they are fairly heavy (solid oak), so as long as they don't get pushed, they should be OK.

They are not, however, as heavy as the marble stands the Doc had. He recommended Oak stands bought off ebay, something like this. I still have a pair which went under the Cubix.
These users thanked the author terrybooth for the post:
karatestu (Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:38 pm)
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Firebug1
Finland

Unread post by Firebug1 »

karatestu wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:02 pm some pics from my speaker thread. Ordinary mine likes 'em :dance: but comments on lack of wife appeal. What is the opinion of this kind of thing ? Where is Tomasz when you need him :grin: Bare in mind that the cabs will eventually be something much nicer, the roller ring painted black and the brass post polished to within an inch of it's life.

It's hard to get proportions over on a pic and I am a crap photographer (point & click). The dimensions and proportions are about right on this though. Ignore the two up firing 5.25 " mid bass, it will be a single 6.5" and the tweeter pod will have four tweeters in it and will be finished black. In fact that whole thing will probably be black except the brass post which is far too good to paint over.

I like that idea very much and think that it wuold look suberb when finished properly. Can you have the pole at dead center of the cabinet regardless of 6,5 driver? Maybe a U or V shape cut out on top the plate for driver?
These users thanked the author Firebug1 for the post:
karatestu (Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:46 pm)
Rega by Michael Lim\Teac\ASR\NVA\
SA Mantra30\Audeze LCD-2 closed.
...the Gods you worship are steel, at the altar of rock 'n' roll you kneel...

karatestu
Great Britain

Thanks Firebug. Three people have said they like the concept of them so it might be a goer and I can pluck up the courage to sound out my wife about them. Kids won't give a flying........ I like 'em though.

There may be a way to get the pole dead centre but I am not sure I would like the look of it :think: Will have to have a think. The single pole would have to terminate before it gets to the top plate and split into several smaller diameter "things" for want of a better word. Or a pole with a kink in it. :lol: Or maybe a small plate the joins two sections of pole near the bottom of the cab and offsets the short length that actually attaches to the top plate.

It would be better to have the pole in the centre for aesthetical reasons and so from above the cube is central to the larger ring of the base. As it is now and if move the 6.5" mid bass towards the front of the bottom panel, I will have to move the pole towards the back of the same panel by a distance of 6 cm. Not too bad I guess but I thrive on symmetry.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Of course, an open frame design with four small diameter solid legs would side step this problem completely. :roll: An easy way out ? I'm not one for always taking the easy option.

I like the concept and look of these roller ring and brass pole stands enough to have a go at making them. They might sound pants but I will never know if I don't try it.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
Ordinaryman (Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:26 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

Some sort of spider/four outriggers to corners of speaker base with a degree of upward tilt? if that makes any sense, freeing the down facing driver? Drawback, you would have to be able to weld/braze to the brass centre pole I would think :epopc:

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

I will try and get photos of my original Cubix stands from circa 1991 uploaded tomorrow
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
karatestu (Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:22 am)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

In your earlier post you said I could call you paranoid because you don't like the idea of struts on an open stand: Surely the top struts are not in the way, then it must be the ones at the bottom, are you sure they will create sound waves? This is what Tannoy have done https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tannoy-Revol ... SwvfBf92gN and https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Part-Exchang ... SwVDdfhBCp
My internet was very slow last night and the link I was to show got missed off https://www.hifiracks.co.uk/collections/speaker-stands
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
karatestu (Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:22 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

Thanks for your contribution and suggestions Dave. Yes I realised your link was not in the post, thanks for putting it in.

I learned a few things along my speaker journey one being that a driver mounted with it's magnet side out doesn't sound as good as the conventional way. Must be because of the basket, magnet etc distorting the sound via diffraction. That us what led me to become paranoid about stands doing the same kind of thing with the down firing driver. It would be OK if the down firing driver was doing bass only but they are doing freq up to 8 kHz and beyond.

I have plenty of time to think about what to do, I haven't settled on any design yet. What j do know is it will likely be made 9f brass or stainless steel because that is what I have available for free.
DIY FREE ZONE