Ear maintenance

All general audio posts go here.
NSNO2021
Great Britain

Ear maintenance

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

For the past few years I have had numerous problems with my left ear, infections, water ingress, blocked with wax etc. For the past two or three weeks its been blocked to the point where I really couldn't hear anything from my left side plus this has a way of making you tired through constantly fighting mild inbalance, so intervention was required.

I have used the majority of olive oil type treatments, I think Earol is best especially if you take the time to gently warm the contents but if the wax is impacted then often olive oil treatment will do no more than soften the wax without the wax coming out which is exactly what had happened to me.

So this morning I drove over to Preston for a private micro suction procedure. Every stage is displayed on the screen and the actual removal only takes a couple of minutes, thankfully its as good as painless and the amount of "stuff" that was removed was disconcertingly large, in fact I was shocked.

Imediately afterwards my near field vision was a bit wonky but that soon went back to normal and now my hearing is as good as I can recall and the cost ~~~~~~~~ £45 for one ear or £50 for the pair. :dance:

When you consider how much money we all spend on our music, streaming services and eqipment including cables etc £50 is a drop in the ocean and I think I will now make a habit of going back once or twice a year just to keep my hearing at its best.

For those of you that are not squimish here is a youtube video of the micro suction proceedure, please don't watch this before a meal as its a bit off putting.

These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
slinger (Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:27 pm)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Ear maintenance

Unread post by karatestu »

OMG that was disgusting. I can't believe how much came out.

Must make a real difference. If it wasn't for C19 I would be going for a session straight away.
DIY FREE ZONE

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I must admit, it's something I manage not to find the time for on a regular basis. I really ought to get it sorted... as soon as this pandemic is over.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Agreed, it's unpleasant on any level. What I don't understand is how one of my ears is normally ok and the other is prone to quite bad blockages 🤔 On a positive note I am going to have an extended listening session tonight aided by a good selection of beers 👌
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
karatestu (Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:10 pm)
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Went for my free hearing test two years ago, after turning 60, and was told everything was fine, but I should have wax removed. They were shrynged on the NHS by a nurse at my GP surgery. I had to go back twice as althiugh I had been putting the ointment in for some time before one had not loosened enough. I noticed an improvement afterwards.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Last time I had ear wax removed it was free, by the nurse at my NHS GP surgery.

Seems a bit of a cheek to pay for this simple procedure.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I'm all for those who can paying for simple procedures if it means you get a bi pass quicker.

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Lindsayt wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:23 pm Last time I had ear wax removed it was free, by the nurse at my NHS GP surgery.

Seems a bit of a cheek to pay for this simple procedure.
Well your entitled to your opinion however I don't see it as a cheek when

1) GPs are not offering a syringing option whilst C19 is around and the bulk of the population has not been vaccinated.
2) Micro suction is vastly superior and a whole lot safer, there is simply no genuine comparison to blindly squirting water into a persons ear canal and using a high definition camera to surgical remove all the problematic wax.
3) The person carrying out the procedure is a qualified and experienced audiologist.

I was truly very grateful that this guy was available, explained everything in advance and had invested in the training and equipment required to provide this service.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:30 pm I'm all for those who can paying for simple procedures if it means you get a bi pass quicker.
I agree. Probably not a popular view but the NHS has to prioritise and for that reason such things as cataract surgery have long waiting times. If people who can afford it get relatively minor procedures done privately the NHS can concentrate on the essential. Not that cataract surgery is a luxury. My mother knew someone who died before she was scheduled for her cataracts.