Can You Give Me A Bit Of Information Regarding AVM Audio?

All general audio posts go here.
Neonknight

Can You Give Me A Bit Of Information Regarding AVM Audio?

Unread post by Neonknight »

So last year I decided to take a chance and bought a used pair of AVM Audio AMP Essential monoblocks from a person I know of on another audio board. In the US there is so very little info available on the company, and what there is speaks to the current product lineup and after the company was bought by a person associated with Burmester Audio.

The story on the amps I have is that this pair of amps was ordered by a dealer from Germany and was configured for the US market, and at this time there was no importer for AVM. The buyer housed these in a cabinet with poor ventilation and one amp failed. They were returned to the dealer and went into the warehouse for storage, and during this time the dealer passed away. So the amps sat neglected until the person i know bought some items from the estate including this pair of amps. The amps went to a tech who was able to obtain a schematic, and then serviced the amps. The person who bought them went to SET amplification and decided to put these up for sale, and they sat. I watched them for awhile, and after a year or so I bought them. I paid $1800 for them, and it cost me another $200 in shipping to get them here. From what I can find they sold for 8800 euro in around 2005.

Can anyone share info on what AVM Audio is like as a company? How its viewed in Europe, as it seems to get some distribution outside of Germany. Any info you can pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: Can You Give Me A Bit Of Information Regarding AVM Audio?

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Never heard of them. What does :text-google: tell you about them - that's of use and interest?

And surely what counts is how they sound compared to whatever else you already owned or could buy for the same or less money?

Neonknight

Lindsayt wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:35 pm Never heard of them. What does :text-google: tell you about them - that's of use and interest?

And surely what counts is how they sound compared to whatever else you already owned or could buy for the same or less money?
Well that is the rub you see. The main page of AVM Audio has a bit of history, and I can find some interviews with Udo Besser after he bought the company. The reviews in the main publications are more about current generation AVM products that are post purchase of the company. Those designs are a bit different than what I own, as the new products have tubes in the first gain stage, and incidentally they have risen dramatically in price. Finding references to the earlier designs is really hard, and I find a few things in German publications that Google translate can let me read, or ads from retailers that have used components available.

Since this is a board with members that have closer ties to Europe I had wondered if you fellows might have some insights on the company. There is no source of substantial information regarding AVM Audio in the US.

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Well NK, I have heard of them, only know that they are a German hifi manufacturer, but by a strange coincidence they were mentioned on another forum I frequent only yesterday. :o It was a dealer who tried to distribute the brand a few years ago, this is probably after the time your amp was produced, but if there is anything specific you would like to know, I will ask. :grin:

Neonknight

antonio66 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:01 am Well NK, I have heard of them, only know that they are a German hifi manufacturer, but by a strange coincidence they were mentioned on another forum I frequent only yesterday. :o It was a dealer who tried to distribute the brand a few years ago, this is probably after the time your amp was produced, but if there is anything specific you would like to know, I will ask. :grin:
Well that is very kind of you. I am afraid I just don't know much of anything, so I don't even know what kind of questions to ask. The designer name is "Gunthermania"? which seems quite unusual to me. Otherwise I find some links in Hi Fi Shark, but there are no current listings.

I have found the manual here, and it provides some detail on the amplifier

file:///C:/Users/Lenovo/Downloads/operating_instructions_AMP_Mono-1%20(3).pdf

This is an image of what mine look like, although I just have two small tiny nicks on the edge of the faceplate of one amp.

https://www.audio-markt.de/data/market/ ... 92_0_g.jpg

This is an image of the rear

https://image.jimcdn.com/app/cms/image/ ... /image.jpg

Finally this is an article on a later series amp, and the price had risen dramatically from mine. But perhaps it gives a bit of info regarding AVM. Like I said I find almost nothing about the company, yet they have been around since the mid 1980s.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/avm ... -amplifier

As far as how they sound, its perhaps the most neutral solid state amp I have heard, at least when paired with the Halcro DM8 pre amp. It has really almost no character, just whatever you pair with it. I haven't rolled a lot of pre amps with it, but I do notice significant differences whenever I have changed source components, the sound really does follow the source. I have no complaints about the amps, they never give me an issue, play well with all components so far, and was cheap in comparison to the build quality and sound I get.

I just wish I knew a bit more about the company, as at this time all I can do is shrug my shoulders and say I know nothing!

ljones67
Great Britain

Unread post by ljones67 »

antonio66
Great Britain

I'll send him a message on your behalf NK

ljones67
Great Britain

Unread post by ljones67 »

UK Distributer for AVM is PMC:

http://www.avm-audio-uk.com

AVM website linked previously has a downloads page and world-wide dealer page:

https://avm.audio/downloads/

https://avm.audio/find-a-store/
These users thanked the author ljones67 for the post:
antonio66 (Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:51 am)

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

ljones67 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:32 pm Found this:

https://avm.audio/about-avm/
Very much in keeping with the NVA less is more ethos
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

antonio66
Great Britain

I've been told, if there is anything you need to know contact the Sales Director, either by email or telephone.