What to do with my fruitbox

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: What to do with my fruitbox

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

The world is mad. Example 855.

The lp12 and aro arm are worth considerably more than their performance would suggest.

Sell them and use the money to have fun buying hifi. Do so quickly this madness is not guaranteed to last indefinitely
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post (total 2):
Lindsayt (Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:41 pm) • karatestu (Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:20 pm)

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

The impression I've gotten from listening to Aro's - is that they have nice midrange but lose focus and sound difuse at the frequency extremes; the bass and the treble.
This seems to be a trait of unipivots.

It's one of those things where the better your speakers are in the bass, the more noticeable the Aro's main weakness will be.
The same thing applies to turntables. The better the bass from your speakers, the more noticeable the woolly bass from the LP12 is.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
karatestu (Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:19 pm)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

But what to get after the Lp12 ? Lenco, Rega, Gerrard ? DD ?

Oh hang on, I have a PL-71 to refurbish :dance: :dance: :dance: Needs the arm bearings sorting, arm rewire, psu recap and off boarding, motor board recap, micro switches changed.

Will that be good enough though :think:
DIY FREE ZONE

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

For what its worth , as you already have them put together all the parts you have. Play a few tunes for a while, see how you get on. You are obviously more than capable of doing this. If you don't like what you hear you will at least have a point of reference. You could then dismantle, sell etc. Either way doing so you might end up with something that you like, be it your lp12 or something other. Good luck.
These users thanked the author Ordinaryman for the post:
karatestu (Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:28 pm)

karatestu
Great Britain

Ordinaryman wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:02 pm For what its worth , as you already have them put together all the parts you have. Play a few tunes for a while, see how you get on. You are obviously more than capable of doing this. If you don't like what you hear you will at least have a point of reference. You could then dismantle, sell etc. Either way doing so you might end up with something that you like, be it your lp12 or something other. Good luck.
Thanks for the good luck. Your idea isn't a bad one of course. I have never heard the 12 with the Rubikon, insoles and Avondale Taps2 on it. Might be a good idea to try it before deciding what to do. If I can get the Pioneer DD going as well I can compare the two. Need a cart though for the Pioneer.
DIY FREE ZONE

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

curiosity gets the best of me. When was the last time you listened to vinyl? Even with a cheap cartridge on the pioneer it would serve as a good comparison imo.

karatestu
Great Britain

Ordinaryman wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:42 pm curiosity gets the best of me. When was the last time you listened to vinyl? Even with a cheap cartridge on the pioneer it would serve as a good comparison imo.
I listened to vinyl a couple of years ago for a few hours. Prior to that it was 2012 :shock:
DIY FREE ZONE

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Having read your posts on amp and speaker builds, I cant imagine it will take you that long to decide which you prefer. Vinyl is a rats nest of opinions. However I'm sure that given a couple of months you could possibly find your way out. Whatever that may be :grin:
These users thanked the author Ordinaryman for the post:
karatestu (Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:04 pm)

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

What to do with the fruitbox...
Just set it up and use it stu.
Just because it says linn, lp, and 12 on it it doesnt necessarily mean its crap.
They arent my thing, i think the linn arms and arms of the same geometry are too short and always have been, but if you havent listened to vinyl in years, just use the bloody thing as it is and stop procrastinating.
Why spend any more money when you have a perfectly servicable deck there.
There are folks who wont have anything else, and folks who wouldnt have one thrown at them. They arent you.
Go and get it, now, if you have nothing better to do, plug it in and see. Ten minute job :grin:
Faff with the pl71 when you get round to it.
You might not even be arsed with vinyl, its a bloody money pit :mrgreen:
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post (total 2):
karatestu (Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:05 pm) • Ordinaryman (Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:06 pm)
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

karatestu
Great Britain

Vinyl-ant wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:57 pm What to do with the fruitbox...
Just set it up and use it stu.
Just because it says linn, lp, and 12 on it it doesnt necessarily mean its crap.
They arent my thing, i think the linn arms and arms of the same geometry are too short and always have been, but if you havent listened to vinyl in years, just use the bloody thing as it is and stop procrastinating.
Why spend any more money when you have a perfectly servicable deck there.
There are folks who wont have anything else, and folks who wouldnt have one thrown at them. They arent you.
Go and get it, now, if you have nothing better to do, plug it in and see. Ten minute job :grin:
Faff with the pl71 when you get round to it.
You might not even be arsed with vinyl, its a bloody money pit :mrgreen:
I can't argue with any of this (not that I want to). I am the king of procrastination and it drives my wife potty :lol: I over think things as I strive for perfection, although you might not think that observing the aesthetic qualities of the lash up's I have built so far.

I was perfectly happy with the LP12 for 12 years although I did add the Aro and an expensive cartridge. My hifi got packed away in 2012 when my son was two because he broke a beautiful TV and some other things. I listened to music through a bluray player and the TV for four years until Jgot my old stuff set up at the farm where I work and my mum lives.

Much diy bodgineering ensued and I bought a Rubikon sub chassis and Avondale Taps2 psu which I have still to fit. The AI "insole" elastomer spring replacements are said to radically change the presentation which will be interesting.

Joining this forum really put me off ever getting the LP12 going again but for a bit of balance I read the Audioflat forum the other day for a bit of balance :grin: , I really should stop listening to other people and listen to the bloody thing, you are quite right.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
Ordinaryman (Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:27 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE