Three things.
Why is reparation a problem.
how is what I have said obtuse.
What does" a limited number of times" actually mean :naughty:

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: What to do with my fruitbox

Unread post by savvypaul »

Ordinaryman wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:51 pm Three things.
Why is reparation a problem.
how is what I have said obtuse.
What does" a limited number of times" actually mean :naughty:
4 things
1. My comment was tongue in cheek, but read the Forum Rules (link at top of page)
2. You are in danger of proving my point for me
3. It means that if you continue, having had the tip off not to, you will be going on holiday for a while
4. Don't be obtuse
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

Tongue in cheek? I have read the forum rules.
The point is yours to prove, I believe.
As for a "holiday" could certainly do with one.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Ordinaryman wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:08 pm Tongue in cheek? I have read the forum rules.
The point is yours to prove, I believe.
As for a "holiday" could certainly do with one.
Granted - banned for 4 weeks.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
Lindsayt (Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:46 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Neonknight

Unread post by Neonknight »

I understand that the LP 12 and Linn in general can garner a bit of a dislike from people, and since I have not been around the world of Linn for a good many years, I am sure I do not know the full extent of their shenanigans.

But since we are talking about an LP12 that is already owned, and with some go fast parts available to it, I would think it could make a nice table if a person just sets it up. Of course the question of whats its worth if sold and what could be bought with those funds is a whole different kettle of fish, and worth discussing also. Seems to me if you appreciate the LP12 presentation, or suspended tables as a whole, its perhaps not a bad way to go since the OP already owns it and has sunk the money into it.

I remember the first time I heard an LP12. A new hi fi store had opened in our city, and it was a top tier shop. The owner was kind enough to let a poor college kid listen to his wares when no one was around. I remember hearing the LP12 w Valhalla/Ittok/Troika feeding McLaren electronics and Celestion SL600 speakers, and some time later through Meitner electronics and Apogee Calipers. I thought it was the most enchanting sound ever, and have had a soft spot for the LP12 since then. I don't know if I really would want to own one, but I did enjoy what I heard.

Maybe its not such a bad table to give a listen to after all...
These users thanked the author Neonknight for the post:
karatestu (Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:35 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Thanks Nk.

The thing is the 12 is the ONLY deck I have had apart from the crap ones you used to find on the top of cheap midi systems in the 1980's. Ibought it from a friend in 1999/2000 for £150 with Lingo1 psu. That was a bargain imo as it was mint and had seen little use. He wanted to sell it very quietly so his wife didn't know and he could spend the cash down the pub.

If it wasn't such a good price and just around the corner I wouldn't have bought it, I would have just carried on with just CD's. I had no records to play on it but that soon changed and I have about 500 now (still not a big collection). The Aro was £1000 ish (new) the Avondale Taps2 AC psu £300 2nd hand, Rubikon sub chassis £600 2nd hand and Alfi's AI "insole" elastomer spring replacements £30 ish ( can't quite remember).

So I have spent about £2,100 altogether on this deck over 20 years and have a Lingo1 and original steel sub chassis I could sell if I keep it. I never had a problem with how the deck sounded, I would just put a LP on kick back and relax listening to the music but then it is the only TT I have had until the Pl-71 came along. The only thing that started to bring doubts in my mind was joining this forum and reading all the bad things written about it.

I should probably just put these "go faster" :lol: parts on it and listen. I was blissfully ignorant to Internet views about it until 2017 and I didn't even have it set up at that point. I wish I could continue with that ignorance, maybe I will try. When I get the PL71 going I will compare with the LP12 and that will possibly be it - the best of the two will go in the main system and the other into my second system.

The continued search for the next best thing is quite frankly getting very tiring for me now. I just want to settle down, enjoy the music and forget about the sound system. The constant fiddling with diy audio is starting to get me down in a way. I have burned out before and don't want to go there again. Speaker design is sorted, amps well on the way. It will be a relief when it is finally all built and in my living room entertaining us.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
NSNO2021 (Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:59 am)
DIY FREE ZONE

Neonknight

Unread post by Neonknight »

karatestu wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:25 am Thanks Nk.

The thing is the 12 is the ONLY deck I have had apart from the crap ones you used to find on the top of cheap midi systems in the 1980's. Ibought it from a friend in 1999/2000 for £150 with Lingo1 psu. That was a bargain imo as it was mint and had seen little use. He wanted to sell it very quietly so his wife didn't know and he could spend the cash down the pub.

If it wasn't such a good price and just around the corner I wouldn't have bought it, I would have just carried on with just CD's. I had no records to play on it but that soon changed and I have about 500 now (still not a big collection). The Aro was £1000 ish (new) the Avondale Taps2 AC psu £300 2nd hand, Rubikon sub chassis £600 2nd hand and Alfi's AI "insole" elastomer spring replacements £30 ish ( can't quite remember).

So I have spent about £2,100 altogether on this deck over 20 years and have a Lingo1 and original steel sub chassis I could sell if I keep it. I never had a problem with how the deck sounded, I would just put a LP on kick back and relax listening to the music but then it is the only TT I have had until the Pl-71 came along. The only thing that started to bring doubts in my mind was joining this forum and reading all the bad things written about it.

I should probably just put these "go faster" :lol: parts on it and listen. I was blissfully ignorant to Internet views about it until 2017 and I didn't even have it set up at that point. I wish I could continue with that ignorance, maybe I will try. When I get the PL71 going I will compare with the LP12 and that will possibly be it - the best of the two will go in the main system and the other into my second system.

The continued search for the next best thing is quite frankly getting very tiring for me now. I just want to settle down, enjoy the music and forget about the sound system. The constant fiddling with diy audio is starting to get me down in a way. I have burned out before and don't want to go there again. Speaker design is sorted, amps well on the way. It will be a relief when it is finally all built and in my living room entertaining us.
One of the best things we can do in this hobby is shut out the outside noise. The only opinion that matters is yours, as it is your preferences, your room, your associated equipment, and your music. With the world wide web and the overload of information available to us you will always find people who agree with your take, as well as people who will disagree with you. I believe it is useful to hear and evaluate others experiences and points of view, but in the end I am responsible for the final decision on what gear I enjoy and appreciate. You have been around this hobby long enough to know what you value in audio reproduction, and if the LP12 will be the kind of component you enjoy. That's all that matters. I envy people who can DIY and build components that others can only envision in the minds eye. I am sure in the end you will have a system that plays music in a way that touches your soul. Just be true to yourself when you build the system and determine when the sound is satisfying and its time to stop and take a rest.
These users thanked the author Neonknight for the post:
karatestu (Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:09 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Neonknight wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:41 am
karatestu wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:25 am Thanks Nk.

One of the best things we can do in this hobby is shut out the outside noise. The only opinion that matters is yours, as it is your preferences, your room, your associated equipment, and your music. With the world wide web and the overload of information available to us you will always find people who agree with your take, as well as people who will disagree with you. I believe it is useful to hear and evaluate others experiences and points of view, but in the end I am responsible for the final decision on what gear I enjoy and appreciate. You have been around this hobby long enough to know what you value in audio reproduction, and if the LP12 will be the kind of component you enjoy. That's all that matters. I envy people who can DIY and build components that others can only envision in the minds eye. I am sure in the end you will have a system that plays music in a way that touches your soul. Just be true to yourself when you build the system and determine when the sound is satisfying and its time to stop and take a rest.
Well said :clap: :clap: :clap:

In a way Iwish I had never discovered Internet audio forums. But then I would never have learned to design and build speakers, amps and psu's, modify my cdp etc. One thing is for sure, there will not be a system the same as mine anywhere :dance: The good thing about diy audio is being able to tinker and tailor the sound to your own liking. The process must stop somewhere though.

All the best to you NK. Glad you decided to come back here :guiness;
DIY FREE ZONE

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

I am so glad you did discover audio forums because your posts are always worth reading and without the knowledge and experience you gained my totally revised Cubix would not be half as good as they are. The originals were good if not easy on the eye. The 2021 version with good source material are simply stunning and look a lot better. 👍

As for your LP12, with the mods fitted and Aro paired with a half decent MC cartridge you will have a very good vinyl playback system, one thats bound to please.

Finally I can concur with you regarding "tweak mania" Enough though my improvement efforts are on a much smaller scale, like you I want to stop tweaking and thankfully the end is in sight ( mid summer ?) I want my focus to return to the music and not the bits and bobs that produce it 😁
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
karatestu (Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:30 am)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables