ASR and the rise of the intelligent idiots

All general audio posts go here.
Wonfor14
Great Britain

Re: ASR and the rise of the intelligent idiots

Unread post by Wonfor14 »

Well like the trusting fool that I am I went back on to The Rude Idiot Forum or ASRe Forum.
These snorty no it all are to be avoided they have now people or listening skills or real life experience in design.
Oh and there upper class I have letter after there name let show we are greater than all sub human.
Well ASRe Forum so have I and I have never used them to get a job or impress . :violence-smack:
not in order Bsc,Bsc,BA,FTC Ceng,LRCC, TWIT. so go suck you grand mothers suckers oh I and started work at 15yrs that was 55 years ago wankers. :hbs: :angry-screaming:

Give me real humans any day.

Hi real humans are you all well.
These users thanked the author Wonfor14 for the post:
CycleCoach (Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:06 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Wonfor14 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:21 am Well like the trusting fool that I am I went back on to The Rude Idiot Forum or ASRe Forum.
These snorty no it all are to be avoided they have now people or listening skills or real life experience in design.
Oh and there upper class I have letter after there name let show we are greater than all sub human.
Well ASRe Forum so have I and I have never used them to get a job or impress . :violence-smack:
not in order Bsc,Bsc,BA,FTC Ceng,LRCC, TWIT. so go suck you grand mothers suckers oh I and started work at 15yrs that was 55 years ago wankers. :hbs: :angry-screaming:

Give me real humans any day.

Hi real humans are you all well.
Hi Colin. Yes I am well. Not even had a sniff of booze for five weeks now so feeling brand new.

Stay away from ASR (and certain other forums) if you value your mental health Colin.

All the best
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
Wonfor14 (Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:47 am)
DIY FREE ZONE

r3xj0hn570n
Norfolk Island

Unread post by r3xj0hn570n »

"A man has got to know his own limitations" -Clint Eastwood.

To which you can add, "A man has got to know other peoples limitations too" - me.

I read ASR with my engineers hat on. I take absolutely no notice whatsoever of his conclusions or descriptions of how it sounds to him. Hell, he usually listens to only one speaker. How can you take that seriously? I _am_ interested in how different topologies measure and differing noise modulation schemes, but poking creatively contrived steady state signals into a device to try and figure out how it's going to make you feel about the music it's going to reproduce is like using spectral analysis on paint to try and predict how a painting is going to make you feel. It just not relevant, it's a strawman.

Some of the tests performed on amplifiers are just bizarre, like 19kHz + 20kHz and look for IM products. I don't know about you guys, but i can't hear either of those and you won't find anything like that in music, so what is the point? This is just amplifier torture.
These users thanked the author r3xj0hn570n for the post (total 2):
CN211276 (Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:49 pm) • Wonfor14 (Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:45 am)

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

r3xj0hn570n wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:45 pm "A man has got to know his own limitations" -Clint Eastwood.

To which you can add, "A man has got to know other peoples limitations too" - me.

I read ASR with my engineers hat on. I take absolutely no notice whatsoever of his conclusions or descriptions of how it sounds to him. Hell, he usually listens to only one speaker. How can you take that seriously? I _am_ interested in how different topologies measure and differing noise modulation schemes, but poking creatively contrived steady state signals into a device to try and figure out how it's going to make you feel about the music it's going to reproduce is like using spectral analysis on paint to try and predict how a painting is going to make you feel. It just not relevant, it's a strawman.

Some of the tests performed on amplifiers are just bizarre, like 19kHz + 20kHz and look for IM products. I don't know about you guys, but i can't hear either of those and you won't find anything like that in music, so what is the point? This is just amplifier torture.
19KHz is used in FM stereo broadcasting so has some, very minor, relevance but, with a good tuner the 19KHz should have been filtered out.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
Wonfor14 (Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:46 am)

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

"Well like the trusting fool that I am I went back on to The Rude Idiot Forum or ASRe Forum."

Well hopefully Colin this has taught you a lesson, DON'T GO BACK ON THERE!
How can you take that forum seriously when many prefer measurements to their own ears, to me that would mean it is more than possible, they would prefer to listen to something they don't like over something that they do
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
Wonfor14 (Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:46 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

r3xj0hn570n wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:45 pm Some of the tests performed on amplifiers are just bizarre, like 19kHz + 20kHz and look for IM products. I don't know about you guys, but i can't hear either of those and you won't find anything like that in music, so what is the point? This is just amplifier torture.
By IM do you mean inter modulation distortion?

It's game over for me by 13kHz
DIY FREE ZONE

r3xj0hn570n
Norfolk Island

Unread post by r3xj0hn570n »

karatestu wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:48 am
r3xj0hn570n wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:45 pm Some of the tests performed on amplifiers are just bizarre, like 19kHz + 20kHz and look for IM products. I don't know about you guys, but i can't hear either of those and you won't find anything like that in music, so what is the point? This is just amplifier torture.
By IM do you mean inter modulation distortion?

Yup, IM means Inter-Modulation. Mostly relevant to speakers i think, though i could be wrong.
These users thanked the author r3xj0hn570n for the post:
karatestu (Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:26 am)

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

karatestu wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:48 am
I have found that, despite their having significant hearing loss, people can detect when higher frequencies are absent. I was rolling off the top end of a reader because the room was rather bright and a friend, then in his late 80s, complained that the reader could have been clearer. When I put the top end back it was fine, for him rather too bright for me.

I know I was using a frequency above 10KHz so it is likely that what was missing was well above what the friend could hear but it made a difference for him. Cutting out frequencies above your threshold of 13KHz will almost certainly affect what you hear, even though you can’t, apparently, hear them directly.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post (total 3):
karatestu (Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:28 am) • Wonfor14 (Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:07 am) • CN211276 (Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:59 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

I can well believe that story Geoff. I have tried to preserve these high frequencies even though I can't hear them. NVA amplifiers have a low pass filter at the input with a corner frequency which is higher than most.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post (total 2):
Wonfor14 (Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:07 am) • CN211276 (Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:59 am)
DIY FREE ZONE

Wonfor14
Great Britain

Unread post by Wonfor14 »

So are we saying that wide out of ear shot BW on amps is needed ?
Please please say yes he he
So BW of 100KHz plus is good?
I do hope my bats enjoy TRex, well the seem to any how.
These users thanked the author Wonfor14 for the post:
karatestu (Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:01 am)