Wam HiFi Show 2021 now announced

All general audio posts go here.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Wam HiFi Show 2021 now announced

Unread post by savvypaul »

For anyone thinking of paying £170 a room to exhibit (minimum 2 night stay)...or even paying in advance for admission tickets...you may want to think carefully before committing your cash (and time). This is a post from the show thread at the WAM forum:

Lurch (member since 2016, 3639 posts)

@HiFiWigwam

Peter, It is now 7 days since I made a quoted post to you, and as expected, NO RESPONSE.

With around 16 weeks until the show you have l believe, only around 20 confirmed exhibitors, so less than 50% of the available exhibition spaces filled.

We are NOT MUSHROOMS!! we do not thrive by being kept in the dark.

You have potential exhibitors waiting in the wings who need to know what the costs are and what the attendance options are, before they volunteer. These people also have family and workplaces that need to be accommodated, the longer you ignore them/us the more chance there is of losing them to other commitments.

It's time to:

Put Out (give the required info)

OR

Put Off (delay the show til March)

As I see it, not having the spreadsheet at 70% capacity by the end of this month and 90%+ by late July could potentially see you overseeing a damp squib.

Lack of exhibitors = lack of paying attendees, and I see little point personally, in blowing several hundred pounds + lost wages from time off, dragging my expensive kit (£30k+) 200+ miles up country just to entertain 20-30 people. I'm sure I'm not the only one starting to feel this way.

We all want this to go ahead and be a big success, but at the moment there's not a chance in hell with too few exhibits to attract the necessary volume of paying punters, and make our efforts worthwhile.

FFS Talk to us.

For me, the lack of communication (which has been an issue for many, many months) plus the effective doubling of the cost of exhibiting (you now have to stay a minimum of 2 nights) are...alarm bells. Your view may differ, of course, and I sincerely hope I'm wrong.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 3):
CycleCoach (Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:30 am) • Lindsayt (Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:00 pm) • antonio66 (Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:03 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Wonfor14
Great Britain

Unread post by Wonfor14 »

I loved to go but this virus bug screws all good things it seems.

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Anyone giving odds on whether the show goes ahead?

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

It's fairly close for me, so I'd love it to go ahead.
I find the organiser's silence troubling though.
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

antonio66 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:04 am Anyone giving odds on whether the show goes ahead?
Odds on it is cancelled, even money it goes ahead. :lol:
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

savvypaul
Great Britain

CycleCoach wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:59 am It's fairly close for me, so I'd love it to go ahead.
I find the organiser's silence troubling though.
You may find his latest post more troubling...

HiFiWigwam
Administrator
HiFiWigwam
Administrator
1,482 posts
Author
Administrator
Posted 9 hours ago
Let me put this to bed. I'm so pissed off I feel like pulling the plug on the show. We (Mods and Maverick) are trying very hard to put on a great show because everyone 'wanted' it to go ahead. (I could do without losing another 5K or so TBH) but I've done it for you, the ones sniping, criticising and thinking they have a right to say what they want, how they want without a care in the world for the damage they do from behind their screens.

The hotel has been through a big change (big enough for me to consider changing the venue next year), it has been impossible for me to get the information and new layouts I needed so I went down myself and had to hand draw the new ground floor layout, which I posted on June 17th after a barrage of insults from you lot, and then still comments came back because no one had bothered to read it.

How dare anyone have a go at Paul (Maverick), he agreed to help sort out the room allocations, but you give him shit and ask questions that don't even concern you so let me be really bloody clear.

No room allocations will be made until we know who is coming and who isn't and I will make that call 31st August, when everyone has had the chance to respond, plus we will know any other problems re Covid by then too.

If that's a problem for anyone quite frankly I don't give a shit, because that means you don't appreciate the problems, the organising, the people involved in helping put the show together and you shouldn't be coming.

In addition, I fully agree that big room spaces and allocations should be given priority to big contributors of The Wam and when I make that call it will be fully understood by everyone. However demands will be met with the contempt they deserve and you'll be told in no uncertain terms not to attend. We have limited sleep rooms and those in the big rooms will naturally be given first choice as they will not have a music/sleep room.

I keep saying time after time that I fully appreciate every one of our members and the contributions you make (otherwise I wouldn't keep losing money) and certainly not keep putting up with the shit some of you hand out. If you don't like the Wam or what is being done on your behalf then bugger off and annoy another forum. The vast majority are fantastic contributors and very experienced audiophiles, and good friends.

If anyone has a problem with my post then PM me and I will be more than happy to respond.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
CycleCoach (Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:10 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

So, if I say that I would be happy to exhibit if I could do it for £10. And I say that I would not be happy to exhibit if I have to pay £170. And that I miss the days when I could exhibit for £10 or less.

Is that me making a demand?

Or is it me handing out shit?

Or is it me sniping and criticising?

Or is it me making an offer?

I suppose it depends what spin you want to put on it...
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:01 am) • CycleCoach (Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:10 am)

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Wow.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

savvypaul
Great Britain

He imposed the 2 day format (and doubled the cost) without consultation. Brave, given the complex circumstances that already exist. Number of confirmed rooms is well down on previous years, though. The 'rant' reads, to me, like someone looking for an excuse to cancel.

He complains that he doesn't have the time for regular communication, but can always find the time to be aggressively defensive.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
Lindsayt (Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:24 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

savvypaul wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:13 am He imposed the 2 day format (and doubled the cost) without consultation. Brave, given the complex circumstances that already exist. Number of confirmed rooms is well down on previous years, though. The 'rant' reads, to me, like someone looking for an excuse to cancel.

He complains that he doesn't have the time for regular communication, but can always find the time to be aggressively defensive.
That would be my read on it too.