I Found A Table To Put The Dynavector DV505 Tone Arm On

All general audio posts go here.
antonio66
Great Britain

Re: I Found A Table To Put The Dynavector DV505 Tone Arm On

Unread post by antonio66 »

I think quite a number of LP12 owners have moved onto Well Tempered, they are a well thought of brand over here. The distributor deals with Shahinian and Dynavector.

Neonknight

Unread post by Neonknight »

antonio66 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:42 am I think quite a number of LP12 owners have moved onto Well Tempered, they are a well thought of brand over here. The distributor deals with Shahinian and Dynavector.
Is this the newest iteration of Well Tempered? At this point I believe a Chinese company owns the rights to the table, although Bill Firebaugh has been involved in the revisions. I suppose the most noticeable one is the use of the golf ball as the anchor for the arm to ride in the silicone cup. In the US the Well Tempered and Dynavector distributor is TOFFCO, so its interesting that the two brands are paired in the UK also.

antonio66
Great Britain

You could well be right about Bill Firebaugh, I'm sure he had something to do with a Consonance turntable. Just found this on ebay, read the description, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402329705726 ... SwnypfEGR1
Dynavector make good amps that's why they are paired with Well Tempered. :lol:

Neonknight

Table delivered yesterday and I got it unboxed and verified everything is okie dokie. I need to figure out room on my cabinet as this arrangement is not a long term solution. I also set the Dynavector arm in place to snap a pic. Got to polish the plinth and permanently affix the arm. I picked up some McGuires plastic polish and trialed it on the area covered by the platter as there was residue left by the tape covering the bearing well. Worked nicely and gave an even and dark luster. So now I can do the rest of the plinth this evening.
IMG_20210428_230833_resize_95.jpg
IMG_20210428_230833_resize_95.jpg (56.22 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
IMG_20210428_182029_resize_34.jpg
IMG_20210428_182029_resize_34.jpg (58.89 KiB) Viewed 1962 times

Grumpytim
Columbia

Unread post by Grumpytim »

Now that is a seriously serious piece of heavy metal. I hope it sounds good.

Neonknight

So during morning coffee I decided to polish the top of the motor pod since I had morning light coming through the window. I ended up getting a reflection in the finish of a reflection in the window behind the table. Pretty pleased with the results from the McGuires plastic polish.

Neonknight

During morning coffee I decided to polish the top of the motor pod since I had morning light. I ended up getting a reflection in the finish of a reflection in the window pane behind the turntable. I am pretty pleased with the McGuires plastic polish. The black is dark and even, looks almost like a piano black finish.

Amazon2.jpg
Amazon2.jpg (24.35 KiB) Viewed 1914 times

antonio66
Great Britain

It's a tight fit on top of the cabinet (nice cabinet by the way), but the Amazon/Dynavector look great, so just keep polishing.

Neonknight

So this project has hit a major road block. When I first acquired this table I had an issue with a battery pack not lasting very long. At first I thought it was an old battery pack, or one being in a discharged state for too long. I went through the provided packs but could not get one to charge. Since these use a 7.2V 3600 mah pack that is basically a battery for an RC car, I took the motor pod and battery into a shop and we confirmed the battery was bad. I bought a new one that fit the opening and had correct parameters and hooked it all up. Ran the charger for 14 hours, and the lights on the charger indicated a charge cycle. When I went to play a record that evening I got through 2/3 of one side and the turntable died, apparently out of power.

The seller stop communicating after the report of the first 2 batteries being dead. I had asked about the charger and how to get a replacement as I suspected there may be an issue with it. The table was listed as a 10/10 on the Audiogon site, and 9/10 at USAudiomart. That says to me its a properly functioning table.

So I am forced to open up a Paypal claim, which I did this morning. I see no other alternative. This is why I always pay them their fee. I have got contact info for the designer and its possible I can send the motor pod back to Germany for service. It may take me a few months to get it back though. I really do like the table itself, but I am prepared to give it all back to the seller as his actions during this process are unacceptable.

So that is the update I have. Its a bummer.

antonio66
Great Britain

Really sorry NK, the seller must have known there was a problem, the s--t, not only that you spent all that time making it all shiny. Hope you can get it sorted one way or the other.