I Found A Table To Put The Dynavector DV505 Tone Arm On

All general audio posts go here.
Neonknight

Re: I Found A Table To Put The Dynavector DV505 Tone Arm On

Unread post by Neonknight »

So this is the response I got from the designer.

thank you for the detailed description! It seems for me that the commutator of the motor is defective. Your turntable is about 15 years old ... hope we have still a replacement motor.

So it appears the table was sent with a sick motor. I believe I have enough info and documentation for Paypal to find for me. I have to decide if I want to send it back and wash my hands of it, which is probably going to be my choice as the seller is an ass and refusing to speak with me. Otherwise I think I should contact SOTA and see if they can fit their motor and controller in this chassis, as it would be easier to work with a US company. This would also lead to a removal of the battery option, and to be honest I think it would make things less complicated and more reliable.

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

It’s an unusual table- keeping it would be my decision but if u don’t want to work on it yourself then I would send it back as repairs could be $$$$$$$
Good luck 😉
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Decisions, decisions, decisions. Is the designer looking for a suitable motor, it would be a shame to use a Sota motor, although I can understand your thinking, I would have thought part of the Amazon's appeal and performance comes from the battery supplied motor.

Neonknight

antonio66 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:18 pm Decisions, decisions, decisions. Is the designer looking for a suitable motor, it would be a shame to use a Sota motor, although I can understand your thinking, I would have thought part of the Amazon's appeal and performance comes from the battery supplied motor.
Yes it is a bit of a pickle isn't it. It is a beautiful and well executed table in terms of plinth, platter, and bearing. The motor system is sick so it needs to be addressed. Sending the motor assembly back to Germany cannot occur till June when the designer returns from holiday in Greece. Then if a motor can be located it can be shipped, and now we add transit and repair time. In the end I get a very nice refurbished table, but at what cost?

With the SOTA we have a DC motor but a conventional power supply. Perhaps their motor can be run off the Amazon regulation and battery pack, perhaps not. One advantage is adding the Phoenix Engineering speed regulation system which seems to be superior. I have a SOTA Cosmos and the motor package is top flight with superb speed regulation. So this seems like an interesting option. Also I get it done quicker, and only have to reach out to a domestic manufacturer for future maintenance if needed.

On the other hand the seller is pissing me off to no end. The refusal to work towards any solution, and the refusal to respond to emails after the first one reporting a problem is unacceptable. As much as I like the table I am inclined to tell him to go screw himself and send the whole thing back and let him deal with it. I cannot prove that he knew he had a sick motor when he sent it, but he did advertise it as a 10/10 on Audiogon and 9/10 on USAudiomart. I realize that this may cost me money though, I may have to pay shipping back and that could be a couple of hundred dollars. But I might be willing to pay that just on principal, as this purchase was almost $3000.

So you are right; decisions, decisions. What is a fellow to do?

Neonknight

Neonknight wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:03 pm
antonio66 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:18 pm Decisions, decisions, decisions. Is the designer looking for a suitable motor, it would be a shame to use a Sota motor, although I can understand your thinking, I would have thought part of the Amazon's appeal and performance comes from the battery supplied motor.
Yes it is a bit of a pickle isn't it. It is a beautiful and well executed table in terms of plinth, platter, and bearing. The motor system is sick so it needs to be addressed. Sending the motor assembly back to Germany cannot occur till June when the designer returns from holiday in Greece. Then if a motor can be located i then can ship the motor pod, and now we add transit and repair time. In the end I get a very nice refurbished table, but at what cost?

With the SOTA we have a DC motor but a conventional power supply. Perhaps their motor can be run off the Amazon regulation and battery pack, perhaps not. One advantage is adding the Phoenix Engineering speed regulation system which seems to be superior. I have a SOTA Cosmos and the motor package is top flight with superb speed regulation. So this seems like an interesting option. Also I get it done quicker, and only have to reach out to a domestic manufacturer for future maintenance if needed.

On the other hand the seller is pissing me off to no end. The refusal to work towards any solution, and the refusal to respond to emails after the first one reporting a problem is unacceptable. As much as I like the table I am inclined to tell him to go screw himself and send the whole thing back and let him deal with it. I cannot prove that he knew he had a sick motor when he sent it, but he did advertise it as a 10/10 on Audiogon and 9/10 on USAudiomart. I realize that this may cost me money though, I may have to pay shipping back and that could be a couple of hundred dollars. But I might be willing to pay that just on principal, as this purchase was almost $3000.

So you are right; decisions, decisions. What is a fellow to do?

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Send it back
Its broken.
It shouldn't be broken
Dont get attached to it, you paid three grand for a working turntable not an ornament
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post:
CycleCoach (Fri May 07, 2021 7:24 pm)
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

For what it is worth, you could do as Ant says and return it for a full refund, including postage.
Alternatively you could keep it and pay for the repairs.
Finally, you could negotiate a substantial discount to cover the repairs.

Neonknight

Geoff.R.G wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:46 pm For what it is worth, you could do as Ant says and return it for a full refund, including postage.
Alternatively you could keep it and pay for the repairs.
Finally, you could negotiate a substantial discount to cover the repairs.
Except the seller stopped communicating after the first two batteries were reported being dead and unable to charge. The refusal to work towards any solution, and the refusal to respond to emails after the first one reporting a problem is a real issue stopping any reconciliation for repair. It takes two to complete that process. We will see what the Paypal escalation does to his demeanor.

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

I'm sorry to say, some people just don't care. Thinking about it again and what you've said (and Ant's advice) I am inclined to agree with him, send it back, ask for return postage costs and start looking again for another tt. I'm sure there are always some great tt's coming up for sale where you are, it's just a matter of time till something else takes your fancy.
I was going to say keep your eyes peeled for something like an Acoustic Signature Challenger, or a Transrotor, hope the two listings below wet your appetite for the continued search. :grin:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa7 ... turntables A bit more than the Amazon
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9d ... turntables - I know over budget, but it looks gorgeous

Neonknight

So here is a temporary installation. I would need to shorten the anti skate string a touch. But at least this way I can play the cartridge and start breaking in the tonearm cable. The only problem is I cannot put the dust cover on now.
received_3032457946986301.jpeg
received_3032457946986301.jpeg (115.63 KiB) Viewed 2401 times