I Found A Table To Put The Dynavector DV505 Tone Arm On

All general audio posts go here.
Neonknight

I Found A Table To Put The Dynavector DV505 Tone Arm On

Unread post by Neonknight »

The Dynavector is a heavy arm at 1.2 KG, and I really would not want to try to balance the suspension on my SOTA with that heavy of an arm. What I need is high mass table with no suspension, or one that uses elastomer or something along those lines. Nothing looked interesting till I came across this on the used market. I usually buy used over new so I can get better bang for my buck.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa8 ... turntables

In the past I have owned a Teres Audio turntable that had a DC motor with battery pack option, and when I converted to that I was amazed at the quality of improvement of sound versus the standard AC motor. This one also looks to have a quality bearing and platter assembly. Finally I do like the isolation devices, as I feel the ability to isolate the platter and bearing from outside influences is important. If I could put this tone arm on a suspended table I would, but there are not many options of this that I am aware of.

So it is paid for and getting packed up. The journey for it is going to be cross country, so I hope for favorable trade winds and compassionate shipping gods.

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: I Found A Table To Put The Dynavector DV505 Tone Arm On

Unread post by CycleCoach »

Do you get next day delivery with that? :icon-wink:
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

Neonknight

CycleCoach wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:09 pm Do you get next day delivery with that? :icon-wink:
I wish!!! At 65 pounds and having to come 3000 miles, that would be a pretty hefty surcharge. Probably be $300 to $400 in shipping costs for overnight. Truth is shipping has gotten expensive here. I remember in the the 2000s I bought a Townshend Rock III and had 3 day super saver Fed EX shipping done for $70. Those days and prices are long gone.

montechristo358
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by montechristo358 »

Dynavector? is that one of those linear tracker jobbies?
Bedroom Rig
PiCorePlayer Squeezebox clone, Allo Boss Dac, NVA AP10H with Stepped Attenuator upgrade and external PSU, Audioquest Nightowl Cans, NVA mini BMU

Office Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DIGI+, NVA SSP Digital, Arcam AV9. NVA SSC, NVA AP10P, NVA LS5, NVA Cubettes, NVA Mini BMU

Kitchen Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DAC+, NVA SSC, NVA P50, Project AMPBox, Sonance Ceiling Speakers

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

Neonknight wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:20 pm
CycleCoach wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:09 pm Do you get next day delivery with that? :icon-wink:
I wish!!! At 65 pounds and having to come 3000 miles, that would be a pretty hefty surcharge. Probably be $300 to $400 in shipping costs for overnight. Truth is shipping has gotten expensive here. I remember in the the 2000s I bought a Townshend Rock III and had 3 day super saver Fed EX shipping done for $70. Those days and prices are long gone.
Sorry Neon. It was an "Amazon" joke! :grin:
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

Neonknight

montechristo358 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:38 pm Dynavector? is that one of those linear tracker jobbies?
No its not a linear tracker, its one of the unusual dual pivot arms the Japanese make.
Attachments
dynavector1.jpg
dynavector1.jpg (43.39 KiB) Viewed 3578 times

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

That a beauty NeonKnight, a brand I heard many years ago and wished I'd changed my LP12 for, unfortunately I'd ploughed to much into theLP12. I believe the gentlemen that made the turntables has retired now, shame they were not more of them in the uk. He always recommended Morch tonearms for his tt's, unipivots I think, but hopefully your Dynavector will work well. A Referenz came up for sale at a good price a number of years ago, but could not afford it at the time, so I'm more than a touch jealous of you at the moment.

Neonknight

antonio66 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:36 am That a beauty NeonKnight, a brand I heard many years ago and wished I'd changed my LP12 for, unfortunately I'd ploughed to much into theLP12. I believe the gentlemen that made the turntables has retired now, shame they were not more of them in the uk. He always recommended Morch tonearms for his tt's, unipivots I think, but hopefully your Dynavector will work well. A Referenz came up for sale at a good price a number of years ago, but could not afford it at the time, so I'm more than a touch jealous of you at the moment.
Your perspective on this makes me feel that much more optimistic about this project. True the Dynavecotr is unlike the Moerch in just about every aspect there is, but I have yet to come across a single post or story that downplays this arm. It seems every version of the Dynavector arm has been well received, and that it acquits itself well against other quality arms. It's primary limitation is its mass, which limits which tables it can be used on. The arm seemed to fall out of favor when the sprung decks reached ascendancy and the monolithic direct drives from Japan became diminished.

So we shall see how this works out, it will be a grand experiment. I enjoy my other tables quite a bit, and the SOTA Cosmos with SME V is my crown jewel, but I have the suspicion that the Amazon can be quite nice. The Well Tempered Reference is my daily driver, but really the cartridge on that table is too expensive to do this with. The Dynavector has a removable head shell and a very nifty VTA and tracking force adjuster so its quite easy to toss a modest moving coil on it and use it up, and then quickly change to the Ikeda whenever I am in the mood to enjoy that unique cartridge. But these are my other two tables. Please don't mind the dust, its impossible to get natural light in here and not highlight those everyday living flaws. Also if you look closely you can see the blue tak I am using to hold the arm rest in place before I find a permanent way to attach it. This table came with an earlier version of an arm, and I was fortunate enough to find a lonely Well Tempered Reference arm on the used market. These were never really sold much, and only found in conjunction with the Corian base that made up the Reference package. I was just insanely lucky to be in the right place at the right time to scoop this up.
IMG_20201011_221123_resize_86.jpg
IMG_20201011_221123_resize_86.jpg (39.89 KiB) Viewed 3535 times
IMG_20201011_221131_resize_5.jpg
IMG_20201011_221131_resize_5.jpg (70.77 KiB) Viewed 3535 times

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

I didn't even know Well Tempered made a Corian plinth, looks great as does the arm. Again I don't know too much about Sota tt, only what I've read in mags, which is not much with them being American tt's, but it sure looks the bizz with the SME on.

Neonknight

antonio66 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:45 pm I didn't even know Well Tempered made a Corian plinth, looks great as does the arm. Again I don't know too much about Sota tt, only what I've read in mags, which is not much with them being American tt's, but it sure looks the bizz with the SME on.

Over the years Well Tempered was owned by a couple of different companies. Transparent first owned them and I believe the Reference was designed under their watch. Eventually Stanalog took the company over.

The plinth is called Fountainhead, it has 4 layers that has isotape in between the layers. The arm is interesting in that the damping cup with silicone in it is threaded so you can change damping characteristics on the fly if you want to. The arm wand is carbon fiber and sand filled. Anti skate is applied by changing the twist on the monofilament line, and there is a thumb screw that moves two blocks in the gantry that changes the position of the monofilament.

The real pain in the butt is changing overhang when setting up a cartridge. There are not slotted holes on the tone arm headshell. The arm attaches over a shaft that comes through the plinth, and there is a thumb screw that allows you to move it up and down the shaft for VTA. The rod is attached to a metal disc that is bolted to the bottom of the table with a hole that is offset from center. So if you rotate the disc it will change the position of the rod in relation to the platter, therefore changing spindle to pivot distance. There is fine adjustment available by loosening the arm platform and rotating it around that rod, it makes fine overhang adjustments possible. So when you install a new cartridge you have to get under the table and loosen the bolt to rotate the plate and getting the rough overhang initially dialed in. Its a pain in the ass, and I usually slide the end of the table off my cabinet and put additional supports under the plinth to keep the table level while I loosen the bolt and set overhang.

So thats a bit of info regarding the table. A Well Tempered represents a bit of out of the box thinking on how to play back a record. They are nice sounding tables, but probably not very Linn like in its philosophy.