I Found A Table To Put The Dynavector DV505 Tone Arm On

All general audio posts go here.
Neonknight

Re: I Found A Table To Put The Dynavector DV505 Tone Arm On

Unread post by Neonknight »

I spent some time listening to records last night and the Wireworld cable has settled in nicely. Actually this occurred much quicker than I thought it was going to, and that is a bit of a relief. The combination of the Ikeda and Dynavector is very nice, a transparent sound with no discernable coloration. In a way it sounds more like my digital playback than anything else I can think of, well the SOTA/SME V/Transfiguration Audio has the same type of presentation also. From my perspective this is as good an analog reproduction as I have achieved, and I am pretty sure I am not able to afford what it takes to get meaningful improvements from this point.

I am not sure what the DV505 sold for during its time, but I suspect it was not cheap. I looked up the price of the current model which is the DV507 and it sells for over $8K USD. Yikes! I won't be buying one anytime soon. Although I did see a used one on the net for $3.5K, which feels almost affordable. Actually I was shopping for the OEM head shell because they are a bit massy at 15 grams, and I did find although it sells for $179. And that was the cheapest one available. I have a hard time justifying $179 for a head shell, however, given what I paid for my DV505, and what a complete one is worth, it probably adds to its value if I can make it as complete as possible. So given a bit more time I can probably talk myself into ordering it. I use the LP Gear Zupreme at the moment and those weigh 12 grams, so with a bit heavier mounting hardware I might be able to get it close to 15 grams. Apparently the short vestigial arm works best with a higher mass head shell, and I have not really found any options in the 15 gram range.

So far so good. I like this arm a lot, its as good as anything I have owned, and better than many I have had in the past. Now if this whole Amazon turntable thing will resolve itself I can get this project finished up. That whole thing is unfortunate as its a beautiful table and I would love to have it properly working. It would be the perfect platform for the Dynavector arm.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Back in the day, jbe built a version of the series 3 slate deck that was specifically for the dynavector arm. Ive only ever seen one, my jbe is the one cut for the sme 3009.
It was abit special. I very briefly heard it with a dynavector cart on it, it was a plugin type cart, just plugged straight into the headshell fitting. a dv30 iirc.

I ended up with a jbe and various dv carts, but not the dv arm...
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Neonknight

Ok so I broke down and bought the Dynavector head shell. I figured this tone arm is a long term keeper for me and having it complete as possible means a lot to me. So i splurged a bit and bought it, as it looks like it is in nice shape. Also its 15 grams, and finding heavier head shells is not easy, and the heavier ones are high end offerings and cost even more than this. So I bit the bullet and placed my order. I should have it by the beginning of next week. I can use the LP Gear Zupreme head shells I have for more compliant cartridges.

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Have you had to use your Sota to mount the Dynavector arm on a temporary basis? Pleased you're liking it with the new arm cable, I'm sure it's very good.

Neonknight

antonio66 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:54 am Have you had to use your Sota to mount the Dynavector arm on a temporary basis? Pleased you're liking it with the new arm cable, I'm sure it's very good.
No I have it temporarily mounted on the left rear corner of the Well Tempered Reference. It weighs 65 pounds and is not suspended, so it's a good temporary platform while the Amazon issue sorts itself out. I can get hours on the Wireworld phono cable and enjoy the arm itself. It really is a fascinating bit of engineering and a joy to use. I ordered the Dynavector head shell so I will have a complete arm.

Speaking of the Well Tempered Reference, I am listening to it with the ZYX 4D at the moment, as this afternoon the Sade box set called This Far got delivered. Listening to Diamond Life and these 1/2 speed remasters at Abbey Roads studio sound superb. Fantastic dynamics and more texture and body than the standard pressings. Amazon had a short sale on them and I got my box set $35 cheaper than other sites. This album sounds wonderful on the WTR and I can never imagine letting this table go. I feel very fortunate to have a few decent tables to play.

antonio66
Great Britain

I own 3 Sade albums, I'm sure on of them is an audiophile pressing, unfortunately I don't have any of her music on my hard drive that I'm using now.

Neonknight

So I got a message from Paypal last night, the seller has agreed to a return. I have to pay shipping and upload a tracking number. Once its signed for the funds are returned to me. I guess it can take up to 5 days for that to occur. It gives me a bit of trepidation as its going to cost me a hundred or two in shipping fees and then I have to wait. I guess I just have to settle in for the long haul and know its going to be another 14 days or so till the whole process plays out. I am sorry it had to come to this, as i really liked the plinth, platter, and bearing set up. If I was given a repair/partial refund option I would have taken it, but when he stopped communicating that pushed me to a position of "you can just have the whole damn thing back and work out the issues cause this thing never worked right when it showed up."

So now I have to pack it up this weekend and get it shipped.

antonio66
Great Britain

I am disappointed for you, I'm sure it would have been a great deck, not only that you lose $200, which to me seems unfair when the seller has sent out faulty goods.

Neonknight

I am beginning to think these tables might have had a weak link in the motor. I had come across this Amazon before buying the Referenz, and I thought it was sort of a hack job done to the motor. Now I might rethink that.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649 ... motor-kit/

I boxed up the table this evening, and I sure do appreciate that platter and bearing assembly. I even gave that Model 1 a brief consideration, but I think I am going to cut bait and move in a different direction. Even if I have no idea what that is.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Consider at a big direct drive?
Examples like the denon dp2000/2550, jvc ql7, trio/kenwood lo7d, technics sl110. stuff of that ilk. Micro seiki ddx1000 is one ive always wanted to try

Jvc coreless motors were used in a lot if stuff, and are some of the better dd motors.

Should also be a heck of a lot cheaper than things like that knackered amazon. 1000 dollars should get you something in absolutely mint condition that has been looked after. Maybe not a micro or a L07D for that money, but certainly a technics, denon or jvc.

Plenty of nice direct drive motor units in the us
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7