I Found A Table To Put The Dynavector DV505 Tone Arm On

All general audio posts go here.
Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Re: I Found A Table To Put The Dynavector DV505 Tone Arm On

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; Dynavector DV507 MK II/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Phono: Whest PS30R SE. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo; Oppo BDP-95. Digital: Cambridge CXN V2. R2R: Technics RS-1700. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909; Audiosmile Supertweeters Mk.2. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W. Mains: NVA BMU

Neonknight

Unread post by Neonknight »

In the past I have owned a Denon DP75, a Technics SP 10 MK II, and a Brinkmann Bardo. All of them are nice tables, and in most ways I preferred the DP75, and the Denon tables are more cost effective than any of the others. So I did think about buying a DP80 for this project and having a plinth built. But I do like a quality belt drive a bit better, part of it is I am of the opinion that its easier to implement a higher quality bearing and higher mass platter than most of the DD available, except for the statement pieces that are priced like statement pieces. Secondly, the SP 10 MK II showed me that DD electronics do indeed age, and the friend who I sold that table to sent it off for restoration and there was far more work needed than you would have thought, and that table came from the home of a Japanese audiophile and was not a radio station warhorse that was all beat up.

Maybe I will do another DD, I certainly am open to the idea. I just have to wait till my monies gets back into my account. I hope to ship the table today as its all packed up. I just have to let work give me a few minutes so I can make it down to the shipping point before todays pick up.

But for now I got the arm installed on the Well Tempered Reference and I am getting that new tone arm cable broken in. Its a neat arm to use, I really like its concepts. I looked at what a new DV507 sells for and its over $8K USD!!! I won't be buying one anytime soon.

Lordie82360now
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by Lordie82360now »

Wow - one hell of a good looking turntable!
Digital Source: Bluesound Node with PD Creative psu upgrade, Allo Digione/rpi4b/ifi iPower PSU/Volumio, Crucial and Samsung USB SSD, iPad 10th Gen 64mg, iPhone 8.
Amplifier: Arcam AS20.
Interconnects: NVA SSP mk ii Digital and Audioquest Carbon Optical.
Speakers: Quad S2 with NVA LS1.
Headphones: Bayer DT770 Pro LE.

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Came across this on my internet travels, click on the main photo and there are more photos: https://www.audioantiquary.com/en-us/denon-dp75/
You could always get VinylAnt to sort you out a nice Lenco, with one of his special plinths. :dance:
There's more than one Lenco believer on this forum, and they have had experience of other well thought of tt's.

Neonknight

So last night I redid the Dynavector arm installation with some Gorilla Glue double sided mounting tape in place of the blue tak. I redid the cartridge alignment, and this cart is just a bastard to do. I have to use my phone camera with a 10X magnification to see the stylus location in relation to the overhang line on a protractor. I then use the body to match it to line grids, and I have to fine tune by ear. This is the worst cartridge I have ever dealt with for alignment, probably like doing a London Decca.

But damn it sounds good. I listened all evening, and its amazing how detailed, refined, and dynamic this cartridge is. To think it was made in the late 70s as is this tone arm. Well you can argue that high end analog has not improved since then.

Now I just need to find a table that can be a permanent home for this arm and cartridge.

Neonknight

I am now in the opening stages of Plan B. The Amazon makes it back to the shipping address on Monday, but its a retail delivery site so he has to sign for it, and I could see him dragging his feet to do so. Once the package is signed for Paypal is supposed to be returning funds to my account.

For plan B I am thinking of a Denon DP80, as I have owned a DP75 in the past and enjoyed it. The 80 is supposed to be their TOTL offering and is reasonably priced given what the top Japanese DD units go for. Can find one on Ebay from Japan shipped for about $850.

There is a builder in Moldova that does CNC plinths, and I bought one from him for a Thorens TD124 a number of years ago. I am reaching out to see if he will build me a round one for the DP80, and I envision a separate round column to use as a tone arm pod. I will try to buy a couple of pods so I have options in the future for a second arm, or alternate arm.

This is a link to the one I had ordered for my TD124

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114756699763

Neonknight

Well I can put the story of the Amazon Referenz to bed now. Its been returned and Paypal has returned funds to me.

Now there is a Sony TTS8000 in Resinamic plinth that is soooo tempting. The problem is its being sold by a shop in HK. Shipping is brutal.

Neonknight

Sometimes things just don't work out like they are supposed to. I had found a Dynavector head shell for this arm, and ordered it. Then on May 15th it gets to a facility 30 miles from my house and never moves. Two weeks later I go to the Post Office and leave my tracking number and phone number and get a promise a supervisor would get back in touch with me. Nothing for a week. I am in the Post Office and I inquire about it again. I was left at the counter for 20 minutes and no one ever comes to the front, even after a couple of pages. I leave pissed off.

End up messaging the seller so he can get a trace on it. No response. Forced to open an Ebay case and they find on my behalf. I get my monies returned but I never get my head shell, which is what I really want. What a pisser.

So that leaves me where I was a couple of months ago, an arm and a cartridge and that is it.

I am looking at a Denon DP80 in Japan. This gets me a good drive unit, a plinth I can use in for the interim, and a tone arm I can either sell off or sell with the plinth if I find a lesser drive unit to install when I am done with it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154156555932

I have a fellow I know in California who is an excellent wood worker. We are talking about building a stacked plinth in the shape of Q where the arm board will be the tail of the letter, and the plinth is basically a circle. The plinth will be in two sections with isolation between the lower portion and the upper portion that holds the drive unit. It's still fluid, with a discussion of ideas and hopefully we come to an agreement of what can be done. We will see. In the meantime I can use the Denon plinth to listen to the table and Dynavector and the Ikeda.

After two deals going sideways like that I feel a bit snake bit. I hope this can work out. With the sepia lighting Unisound uses I am a bit leery about the condition of the DP80. Refurbishing the cosmetics is often harder that getting the electrical bits all sorted out.

Bah.

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

On that link I saw a DenonDP80 without plinth, would it have been better to have ordered on of these, if you are going to have a new plinth built? patience is a virtue. :grin: Sorry about your headshell, lost by the Post Office? Good luck with this purchase and I hope everything arrives safe and sound.