Most expensive audio mistake / regret

All general audio posts go here.
Latteman
Great Britain

Most expensive audio mistake / regret

Unread post by Latteman »

What have u bought and thought what a waste of money
Was it because it was actually rubbish or that u broke the cantilever on the first play of your new cart (yep- Denon DL 103r)

Me- I bought an Origin Live Onyx tonearm new at £450- used it for a few years
I now know from experience it’s a Lot of money for not a lot that a well built diy can beat at a fraction of price

What’s ur mistake/ regret
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Most expensive audio mistake / regret

Unread post by karatestu »

Various Naim amps and power supplies. The only good thing being that I learned the art of bodgineering.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post (total 2):
CycleCoach (Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:04 pm) • Ithilstone (Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:11 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

I remember upgrading my LP12 from an Ittok to an Ekos arm ( I think there was a bearing, armboard &/or motor upgrade I did at the same time) and realising the thing sounded worse when it came back. It all cost a lot of money back then.
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

montechristo358
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by montechristo358 »

not many and not expensive but still regret swapping my 80s battleship Technics for a weedy Cambridge Audio "Because Brit stuff was so much better" NOT
Bedroom Rig
PiCorePlayer Squeezebox clone, Allo Boss Dac, NVA AP10H with Stepped Attenuator upgrade and external PSU, Audioquest Nightowl Cans, NVA mini BMU

Office Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DIGI+, NVA SSP Digital, Arcam AV9. NVA SSC, NVA AP10P, NVA LS5, NVA Cubettes, NVA Mini BMU

Kitchen Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DAC+, NVA SSC, NVA P50, Project AMPBox, Sonance Ceiling Speakers

Neonknight

Unread post by Neonknight »

Perhaps my greatest regret is deciding to sell a system that consisted of an Audible Illusions 3A pre amp, an Art Audio Diavolo SET amplifier, Cabasse Catalane 500 speakers, and a Teres Audio 225 turntable with Eminent Technology II arm. I never could get that system to sound as good as it did in its previous house and I got frustrated. While I appreciate my current one, I really would like to have that one back.

A mistake that I also regret is when I was in my 20s. I put a Thorens TD 125 with SME 3009 arm on the top shelf of a very light 4 shelf rack. One day the rack just tipped over and threw the Thorens onto a concrete floor. Plinth was busted up, arm damaged, and motor spindle bent. I thought it was unfortunate, but didn't really have any remorse as I thought it was an old table of little value. I thought the Systemdeck IIXE I was using was a better table. Wish I had that TD 125 back as well as a second one I had that I did some restoration work on.

Finally I regret not making a drive to Oregon from Washington state to pick up a pair of JBL L300 speakers for $600. I also regret not driving down to California to get a pair of Cabasse Pacifica for $2000. I also regret not driving to the other side of the state to buy a pair of Altec Model 19 for $500.

I have a lot of regrets...

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

My LP12 cost me a small fortune back in the day, from day one I was always wanting to upgrade, unlike Cyclecoach I did feel the upgrades made it sound better. Also, I 'upgraded' my Claymore to a Naim 62/140 which led me down another rabbit hole of upgrades when in fact I should have kept the Incatech for much longer.
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post (total 2):
CycleCoach (Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:47 am) • Andy-831 (Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:35 am)

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

antonio66 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:24 am My LP12 cost me a small fortune back in the day, from day one I was always wanting to upgrade, unlike Cyclecoach I did feel the upgrades made it sound better. Also, I 'upgraded' my Claymore to a Naim 62/140 which led me down another rabbit hole of upgrades when in fact I should have kept the Incatech for much longer.
Some of the upgrades worked for me 66. Basik to Ittok arm for example, and adding a Lingo powers supply (which actually made the thing "hi-fi!")
I ended up going full-on Linn/Naim etc, but the one I mentioned was definitely the most "disappointing."
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

The money I've spent on digital audio .

I remember in 1989 ,I was on leave from uni, an in my bedroom was hifi I spent 2k on.

Downstairs was my step father's dynatron hifi he bought second hand for about sixty quid. They were on holiday so I was home alone.

I didn't know it then but the deck was a Garrard and the speakers wharfedale. I had genesis self titled lp lying around. I played this and the rhythm ,space and positioning that I didn't hear from digital , was apparent. I always remember when second home by the sea starts , there is a tinkling sound. On the lp it started in the left and made an arc to the right speaker.

I was gobsmacked. I was a digital kid and all my experience as an audiophile was digital. I used to laugh at those with tt and all the silly things they did. I had spent thousands on hifi and even more on cd's. All of it was now useless. Rendered redundant by my step father's (who I didn't like) dynatron.

I sold the lot ,hardware and software, at a significant loss and began a vinyl journey.

I regret those seven years of digital dysfunction.
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post (total 2):
slinger (Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:23 pm) • Andy-831 (Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:37 am)

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Digital has come a long way since 1989, especially in recent years.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

That's funny I keep being told vintage cd players sound ace .

These are the same I owned and we're shit.

Digital is still digital. Its fine as long as you don't hear vinyl.

My record collection is 90% rock music from 1970 to 1985. With my lp collection there is no contest
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post:
Andy-831 (Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:38 am)