It's all been said before

All general audio posts go here.
Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: It's all been said before

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

I have noticed recently that “critical reasoning” is in short supply. Huge numbers of people believe what they are told, especially if the person doing the telling is in some position of authority. In Hi-Fi this translates to, “reviewer X says it sounds good so It must be good”. Anyone who has found this site will know that reviews aren’t always independent and reliable and sometimes products that receive poor initial reviews thrive.

As long as Hi-Fi is a means to an end, the enjoyment of music, all is well. In my opinion, it is when the system becomes an end in itself that the problems start.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:52 am) • slinger (Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:14 pm)

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: It's all been said before

Unread post by slinger »

Nobody here is likely to try to be a "king of the castle" who knows everything about everything. Apart from our members having too much common sense to contemplate it, I think we all know that they'd be shouted down and put in their place incredibly quickly if they even hinted at taking in those characteristics.

Consequently, if someone here offers an opinion I'm inclined to take notice of it, especially as the chances are it'll be born of experience, and definitely not just parroting a review from somewhere.

I usually don't take anyone's views on anything for granted, but I'm more inclined to seriously investigate things told to me by some people than others.

I once detailed a "joke" hifi forum post elsewhere. It was something like this...
I ask a question about some speakers I'm thinking of buying and name the offer price, stating it's about as high as I can go, which is why I need some advice before I splash that much cash.

The first guy to respond simply suggests the speakers he's just bought at twice the price.

The next bloke has seen a picture of them, and they look "nice," but doesn't know what they sound like.

The third reply tells me that everything the manufacturer has ever produced, going back as far back as the Korean War, is shit.

The fourth one has heard some speakers that looked similar but didn't like them.

The fifth bloke actually has some in his garage, but can't remember what they sound like. Do I want to make him an offer?

The sixth says I should definitely try them because he remembers reading how good they sounded being driven by Class D monoblocks. I have a Class A/B integrated.

The seventh bloke suggests a valve amp, because he always suggests a valve amp, no matter what the question.

Respondent #8 tells me that the model two steps up the manufacturer's range would probably suit my amp, which he's never heard, far better.

Number nine has a completely different amp to mine but suggests there's no reason why they won't probably be pretty good.

Number ten hopes I'll post my impressions when I've bought them.

Eleven tells me that they sound "awful," according to the reviews I'm obviously "too lazy" to read.

...and so it continues.
:mrgreen:
These users thanked the author slinger for the post (total 5):
karatestu (Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:14 pm) • SteveTheShadow (Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:17 pm) • Grumpytim (Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:34 pm) • CycleCoach (Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:53 pm) • CN211276 (Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:50 am)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X