Is class D Hi-Fi?

All general audio posts go here.
NSNO2021
Great Britain

Re: Is class D Hi-Fi?

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

So class D or the pub is the choice ?

Retire to pub is a recommendation I can trust, one I would be happy to put my hand in pocket for, the pub gets my 5 star rating
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Unread post by Colin Wonfor »

Best one I ever used was made by Tripath and for B&W sub woofer, the big problem I found was current pumping at low frequency, but I solved not with massive caps but with what the best I can write was a common mode choke around the output devices but with no cap directly to the output beasties.
The other one I fixed was the Naim version, a disaster from Sweden transformers to small and based around the IR chip set, a mess.
The biggest for driving a monster electric motor was nearly 200KW in a pumping station in Scotland. I Used IGBT in the output stage and the clocking frequency was only 20KHz, Ok the primary voltage was 3 phase at 660VAC. Great days a fun time.
These users thanked the author Colin Wonfor for the post (total 4):
Neonknight (Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:26 pm) • Geoff.R.G (Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:21 pm) • karatestu (Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:34 pm) • Lindsayt (Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:05 pm)
It can be done so imagine it.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Didn't know where exactly to park this quote from a popular diy forum but here will do

"Active speakers are designed to blow the internal amp in 8 years. Class D is designed not to be repaired. My ST120 is 51 years old"

Many active speakers contain class D amps for space saving etc. If the above quote has some truth to it then owners of class D speakers are to suffer a double whammy. Amp blows in ~8 years and can't be repaired.

I'd get pretty pissed if that happened. If I pay good money for something I want it to last way longer than that.

#landfill
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
Lindsayt (Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:20 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Quote "Active is better for manufacturers. It can be programmed to fail after a while"
DIY FREE ZONE

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

karatestu wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:59 pm Didn't know where exactly to park this quote from a popular diy forum but here will do

"Active speakers are designed to blow the internal amp in 8 years. Class D is designed not to be repaired. My ST120 is 51 years old"

Many active speakers contain class D amps for space saving etc. If the above quote has some truth to it then owners of class D speakers are to suffer a double whammy. Amp blows in ~8 years and can't be repaired.

I'd get pretty pissed if that happened. If I pay good money for something I want it to last way longer than that.

#landfill
I would imagine that a replacement Class D amplifier could be fitted easily enough, not that I'd buy active speakers in the first place.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
Wonfor14 (Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:27 pm)

Wonfor14
Great Britain

Unread post by Wonfor14 »

If low power is what you need try the Audium Class D, and some of the Maxim chips are bloody good.
The Audium chip I worked on in Bath amazing concept and made sense.
The Class D not only drive the speakers but took the +5V up to +30V on demand using it as a Boost converter clever, I think the company sold the idea to Analog Devices. Oh it was a bridge amp.
I design a second concept which collected power from radiated noise and converted to charge bats, worked well on London Underground , and again they sold it to Analog Devices.

Gmanuk101
Great Britain

Unread post by Gmanuk101 »

here's one.....I got into hifi (properly) in 2011.... what got me into the lovely 2 channel world you say? (or dont..lol) a MiniT ..
miniT powering 2 x B&W speakers, using a beresford dac...... to me that was hifi.
Boxes That Make Things Louder: NVA BMU, M300 Monoblocks x 2, P50se passive pre, NVA Phono 2
Fast Digital Abacus: Bluesound Node 2i (transport), Soncoz SG1
Disc Spinning Device: Technics SL1200-G, AT-VML760, AT-13g shell, KAB Damper, 5mm Funk Firm Mat.
Magic RCA Cables: NVA TIS, SSP MKII (digital & stereo), BlueJeans, Rhodium.
The Sound Cables: NVA LS6