Lost for words

All general audio posts go here.
Neonknight

Re: Lost for words

Unread post by Neonknight »

TheMadMick wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:02 pm I took the "no fuse" line seriously and wired in a Schuko socket into the ring main, put in a 16A trip in the fuse box and heard very little difference.

You win some, you loose some.
I certainly do understand skepticism regarding fuses. People just have to decide what they are willing to explore or not.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Neonknight wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:29 am
TheMadMick wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:02 pm I took the "no fuse" line seriously and wired in a Schuko socket into the ring main, put in a 16A trip in the fuse box and heard very little difference.

You win some, you loose some.
I certainly do understand scepticism regarding fuses. People just have to decide what they are willing to explore or not.
As I said earlier, there seems to be a general acceptance on this forum that replacing a fuse with a 6mm copper bar makes a difference. Technically that simply reduces the resistance by around 5mΩ and the voltage drop by 65mV at 13A, assuming we are talking a mains fuse. In the USA you don't have the mains fuse in the plug so ignore this bit.

I can accept that the Littlefuse offering with Gold or Rhodium plate on the end caps will prevent corrosion, except that I have no memory of ever seeing a fuse in a plug or electrical equipment that was corroded. I have seen corroded fuses in cars but that is generally because of water ingress. Neonknight mentioned sand filled fuses; fuses that meet BS1362 MUST be sand filled, watch the video I linked earlier for what can happen if they aren't.

By all means try replacing a fuse with a copper bar but, in the UK, the fuse in the plug (or plug adaptor) must meet BS1362, and a copper bar doesn't. I don't know the regulations elsewhere, and I am no expert on those in the UK, but I question whether the risks involved in removing a safety device are worth the, to my mind dubious, improvement in sound quality.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I recall RD emphasising that "audiophile" fuses are illegal because they do not meet safety standards.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

savvypaul wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:58 am It's not a scam, to my mind. It's a handmade cable, made in small quantities. It's not cheap but it is far from the worst example of pricing in the cable market.
My hand made or home made speaker cables cost me over £200 in materials and at a basic hourly rate of say £15, the true cost would be closer to £1,000 for the pair as they are made from a silly number of fine wires woven together and please believe me when I say this ~~~ hand weaving multiple strands of long wire together is a complete and utter pain in the arse. It really is one of things in life that's best avoided.

On the plus side, I love the difference they make so it turned out to be one of my better experiments :)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

nilsatisnisioptimum wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:18 pm
savvypaul wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:58 am It's not a scam, to my mind. It's a handmade cable, made in small quantities. It's not cheap but it is far from the worst example of pricing in the cable market.
My hand made or home made speaker cables cost me over £200 in materials and at a basic hourly rate of say £15, the true cost would be closer to £1,000 for the pair as they are made from a silly number of fine wires woven together and please believe me when I say this ~~~ hand weaving multiple strands of long wire together is a complete and utter pain in the arse. It really is one of things in life that's best avoided.

On the plus side, I love the difference they make so it turned out to be one of my better experiments :)
Nothing on the Wave website about hand weaving. All smoke and mirrors and marketing. Material costs would not exceed those in cables from the likes of Audioquest, DH Labs and many more which sell for less than £200. Economies of scale can be passed on.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc