Great Britain

Lost for words

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

And April fool's day is a long way off

http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/quantum- ... ies-fuses/
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
CycleCoach (Fri May 07, 2021 11:14 pm)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: Lost for words

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

There’s one born every minute!

Would any rational person really spend $700+ on a fuse?

Neonknight

Unread post by Neonknight »

This is a controversial topic, perhaps I am not doing myself any favors by weighing in. I obtained a couple of fuses from Audio Magic. The damned little things make a difference in several ways. Why? I really don't have a good reason why they do, but its pretty easy to hear, and its repeatable.

Later I have bought some of the ACME silver fuses for an amp and pre amp I have. Same experience, but slightly different presentation. Now the first hour they played the tonal balance was very very odd, but after two hours of burn in it started to shift to be more in balanced. After 24 hours of playing the sound became balanced and more detailed than a standard fuse. Once again I cannot say why, but its repeatable when you remove and compare them.

How much would I pay for a use? Certainly not hundreds of dollars. The Acme ones I paid about $15 each, and perhaps I would pay $30 or $40 without too much angst, maybe even up to $50. But I am going to need some real convincing to pay $100 for a fuse. $700 or more for a fuse? Absolutely not. But I do think there is something to the little things, and I will spend some incremental money on them.

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

I believe we've done this subject before, not for a $700 fuse but those ranging in price from £30-130. Nice of you to put yourself up for ridicule NK :lol: only joking, may I ask what pieces of equipment have you got these fuses in, and why have you not replaced all with one?

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Personally, I don't believe in this kind of hocus pocus and will NEVER be buying one. However, I won't be ridiculing anybody who has them.

Doc always argued that there isn't a fuse which is better than no fuse. I agree with this as long as the equipment is designed to take account of this.

Recently I (and others) was ridiculed on pfm by a certain EE for saying transformers sound different :roll: I can imagine his view on fancy fuses. I believe transformers, rectifiers and smoothing caps can make a difference but I draw the line at fuses and mains cables.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
CycleCoach (Sat May 08, 2021 10:19 am)
DIY FREE ZONE

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

The biggest issue is Os being added to prices which bear no relation to manufacturing costs. It is continuing and getting worse becaus people are falling for the :Bllocks: , or marketing. :lol: Margins are so high it does not take many sales to cash in.

Cables have always been a prime example. The Chord Facebook group highlights the Wave cable scam and the numbers taken in by it. Those who have fallen for it are ultra defensive. Dissenting voices get the same reaction as one would walking into a mosque drinking a can of beer. :lol: At least on Facebook the seller does not get the "super dealer" protection he pays £40 per month for on Wam.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
Lindsayt (Sat May 08, 2021 6:41 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

I was ridiculed here for my "special" fuses. But I did hear a non subtle difference. No I wouldn't spend big money on them - the cost benefit doesn't work out. Worth a punt but I suspect, like cables, they can be system specific.
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

NSNO2021
Great Britain

The top of the range fuses this guy's makes are $2400. I think that is per fuse but it might be pair, I don't really care because it leads back to the what I have coined the "egotistical" pricing model that's becoming more prevalent in all walks of life.
In the past you paid top dollar for something exclusive that had been crafted/designed by someone experienced & talented like a hand made suit/shirt/shoes or a hand assembled sports car but now people with a lot more money than sense are shelling out dizzy amounts of money on trainers, battery driven designer watches, handbags. Expensive cars now cost hundreds of thousands or millions and all the while poverty is growing, in the UK food banks cannot cope with the demand and in California the super rich tech barons are trying to change local laws to disperse the legions of homeless because they find it depressing to have to drive past them on their way to a job that pays them tens of millions a year.
I pacify myself by trying to see all these acts of self indulgence as a tax on the rich and gullible but that only works for some of the time.
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
karatestu (Sat May 08, 2021 9:48 am)
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Bollox to all this fiscal madness - I am off to stand in the pouring rain cheering my 11 year old grandson on as he plays footy for his local side in a cup game. 👏

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

nilsatisnisioptimum wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:26 am in California the super rich tech barons are trying to change local laws to disperse the legions of homeless because they find it depressing to have to drive past them on their way to a job that pays them tens of millions a year.
I should add that most of those taken in by the Wave cable scam seem to be from the USA. The ghost of George iii getting his revenge. :lol:
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc