Logic DM101 - a new beginning

All general audio posts go here.
Grumpytim
Columbia

Re: Logic DM101 - a new beginning

Unread post by Grumpytim »

I guess after Dutch Leather, the logical step must be Dutch Rubber...

Really glad you're enjoying the 'new' turntable, my only surprise is that it took you so long to get to Tin Drum. It's one of those albums where there isn't one surplus note, less is most definately more.
These users thanked the author Grumpytim for the post:
Fretless (Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:08 am)

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Well you never asked my advice, I would have said get yourself a Funk Firm mat, they do come up quite regular on forums, never the less, I hope the Tonar does it for you so will be looking forward to your findings
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
Fretless (Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:09 am)

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Seeing the difference that the vintage Akai rubber mat made on the Debut, it got my curiosity aroused. I had never really given much thought to the effect of turntable mats before

Having read that old rubber mats can begin to disintegrate and leave particles on LP's (although there is no sign of that here), I started to look at mats in general. The thick felt mat that came with the Logic appears to be good quality - but the rubber significantly boosted the overal dynamics. Cork was a possibility but not sure about them, then I found leather mats and that really intrigued me.

Tonar products are Dutch-made and easy for me to get hold of - also they are quite affordable and the company has a wide range of vinyl-orientated accessories, so I reckon that they know what they are doing.

If this works out then I can always consider a higher-end (Funk?) mat at a later date.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

I found the Funk Firm mat to be an improvement when I had a Rega 6.

On all my other t/ts, I've preferred the Ringmat.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Grumpytim
Columbia

Unread post by Grumpytim »

Thats weird, I love the Ringmat on my Rega P3, in fact it's probably the one useful tip I got from a hifi mag back in the olden days.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

A mat interacts with the platter. What the platter is made of is fundamental.

A pink triangle doesn't need a mat it wasn't designed for one. However the archromat labours under the misapprehension that it will turn all turntables in to a p.t.

A lenco needs a rubber mat , it's the only way to effectively damp the motor and idler wheel is with the original rubber mat

Fretless
Netherlands

I have been rather quiet on the posting front for a while and there are a couple of reasons. The most obvious is that, due to relaxations in the Lockdown restrictions, my little training-centre business is getting going again after 18 months of enforced closure. So, there is work to be done.

The other reason is a total and enveloping epiphany that is the result of my unplanned return to the vinyl arena. Today's post bought 2 packs of used LPs, 10 in total, a mixed bag of which the highlight is Joni Mitchell's 'Hejira'.
All I want to do at the moment is plop an LP on the turntable and revel in the sound - even this rather crackly Joni record is giving me more pleasure than the remastered import HDCD that I finally tracked down.

That Neil Young interview where he compares digital playback to the pixels on a computer screen and an analogue recording as being its own integral universe. He is right, to a great extent, and certainly with regard to CD 44.1/16 quality. Me, I'm having trouble with CDs at the moment, finding them shallow and lifeless - even later, improved remasters.

I feel such a fool, having been convinced for decades about the superiority of digital over analogue. Yes, streaming and file-based audio are enormously easy and convenient. And my own hi-res vinyl rips retain a convincing amount of that analogue magic. But it is the realisation of my own blind stupidity that is unsettling me.

Luck, fate, Karma: something persuaded me to hang onto a genuinely excellent turntable for all these years and accidentally get it working again. Now the music-monster inside me is reawakened and reliving past glories with Supertramp, Alan Parsons and Peter Gabriel amongst others.

It's quality, not quantity, that matters.
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post (total 3):
Latteman (Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:48 pm) • antonio66 (Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:25 am) • karatestu (Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:40 am)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Office:

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Keep enjoying it, it must be fate you stored it away for so long.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Fretless wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:42 pm I have been rather quiet on the posting front for a while and there are a couple of reasons. The most obvious is that, due to relaxations in the Lockdown restrictions, my little training-centre business is getting going again after 18 months of enforced closure. So, there is work to be done.

The other reason is a total and enveloping epiphany that is the result of my unplanned return to the vinyl arena. Today's post bought 2 packs of used LPs, 10 in total, a mixed bag of which the highlight is Joni Mitchell's 'Hejira'.
All I want to do at the moment is plop an LP on the turntable and revel in the sound - even this rather crackly Joni record is giving me more pleasure than the remastered HDCD that I finally tracked down.

That Neil Young interview where he compares digital playback to the pixels on a computer screen and an analogue recording as being its own integral universe. He is right, to a great extent, and certainly with regard to CD 44.1/16 quality. Me, I'm having trouble with CDs at the moment, finding them shallow and lifeless - even later, improved remasters.

I feel such a fool, having been convinced for decades about the superiority of digital over analogue. Yes, streaming and file-based audio are enormously easy and convenient. And my own hi-res vinyl rips retain a convincing amount of that analogue magic. But it is the realisation of my own blind stupidity that is unsettling me.

Luck, fate, Karma: something persuaded me to hang onto a genuinely excellent turntable for all these years and accidentally get it working again. Now the music-monster inside me is reawakened and reliving past glories with Supertramp, Alan Parsons and Peter Gabriel amongst others.

It's quality, not quantity, that matters.
It must feel good that the penny has dropped :grin: So glad you are enjoying it. As the resident digital guru I expect there will be a wave of people following your lead and realising vinyl was superior all along :lol:

In my case you have inspired me to get my arse in gear and take my deck to Ant for a fettling. Although my anologue source has been out of action for a while, I was never in denial about the formats superiority.
DIY FREE ZONE

Fretless
Netherlands

A few cosmetic improvements and the DM101 is turning into something to be proud of.

Most visibly the new 'suede-look' leather mat from Tonar which not only is really smart but has boosted the SQ over the vintage Akai rubber mat.

Instruments and voices are better-defined. More space in-between and I could far more easily follow Jaco's astonishing basswork on 'Hejira', for example.
LPs sound 'blacker'. Bass is less boomy, more controlled and extended.

Time for bed. :music-listening:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Office: