Headset advice

All general audio posts go here.
ljones67
Great Britain

Headset advice

Unread post by ljones67 »

Bit of a long shot. Does anyone have any experience with headsets for Zoom meetings? Looking to get some for the office but we've no idea what to go for. There are loads on amazon but no idea about the quality or the reviews. If anyone can recommend a good quality one that would be great.

Tony Moore
Great Britain

Re: Headset advice

Unread post by Tony Moore »

I've been working from home since long before it became mandatory and my company supplied me with Jabra 40 USB (wired) stereo headset for Teams/Skype etc. It's a mid range one and is comfortable to wear for long period and the sound quality is good. Cables still good, as are earmuffs even after a good 4 years use.

I think mine is one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jabra-Evolve-S ... 76&sr=8-10

(Although mine is only wired USB to a converter and then a mini jack plug. No bluetooth, The reviews seems to be talking about bluetooth so I'm not convinced they are assigned to the correct product.)
These users thanked the author Tony Moore for the post:
ljones67 (Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:32 pm)

ljones67
Great Britain

Thanks for that Tony.

The wife of a work colleague uses a Jabra Evolve2 40 USB headset. Almost the same name and the price is similar but a different style! Can't really tell what the difference is in terms of specs/performance so might come down to style preference.

Searching around today a cheaper option might be the Logitech H650E as it's at a very good price on amazon, plus it gets some decent reviews.

I will pass these onto the boss as he will decide!

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Is a headset actually necessary? I've been using the mic in my Logitech, C920 HD Pro webcam quite happily, over both Zoom, and MS Teams meetings.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

I've never used a headset for Zoom meetings but I do use a wired mic, anything from an Audio Technica AT3033 to a cheap Neewer through a Behringer interface. Using the computer speakers with no problems. Unless the idea is to hold a meeting in an open plan office I don't see the benefit.

ljones67
Great Britain

I think the boss wants to try headsets for when more people start coming back into the office (which is open plan) and there is more than one zoom meeting going on. As I understand it, the mic has some sort of noise cancelling so the sound of anyone else talking nearby would be reduced. Or something like that.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

ljones67 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:11 pm I think the boss wants to try headsets for when more people start coming back into the office (which is open plan) and there is more than one zoom meeting going on. As I understand it, the mic has some sort of noise cancelling so the sound of anyone else talking nearby would be reduced. Or something like that.
A noise cancelling mic sounds reasonable and they are common in communications headsets. Whether they feature in gaming headsets is another matter.

If money is no object Sennheiser did a version of the HD25 that would do nicely at something like £600, noise cancelling mic and active noise cancelling on the headphones too. There was a similar version of the HD26 at something nearer £1,000 but I don’t think your boss would stump up for either of those.