Phono 1 MC

All general audio posts go here.
floydfan

Phono 1 MC

Unread post by floydfan »

Hi All

Been a while since I last posted, not since Richard left us, but am looking for some info concerning a P1 MC phono which I got in 2014.
I always turn off my amps, against Richard's instructions, but this morning the phono did not come on. The plug fuse is ok but I was wondering if there was an internal fuse? I have taken apart NVA stuff and carried out minor repairs with Richard giving instructions after I sent him photos but I am not willing to try that without his help.
Any information would be great.
Regards Jim

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Phono 1 MC

Unread post by savvypaul »

Could be one of a number of things - transformer, regulator, board. It will have to be opened up and tested.

Tomasz is back in the UK in early September, if you prefer us to do it. Otherwise, you can contact him at mail@hfsaudio.co.uk and he'll be happy to talk you through what / how to test with a multi-meter. He's away this weekend, so expect a reply sometime on Monday.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 2):
Lindsayt (Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:36 pm) • Wonfor14 (Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:22 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

floydfan

Thanks for the reply, it would probably be best if I got you to look at it and so will wait till Tomasz gets back. I will put my PL71 away and get out my second string turntable with a mm cartridge. I could swop cartridge but I can be hamfisted and my Pioneer is playing well.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

floydfan wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:21 pm Thanks for the reply, it would probably be best if I got you to look at it and so will wait till Tomasz gets back. I will put my PL71 away and get out my second string turntable with a mm cartridge. I could swop cartridge but I can be hamfisted and my Pioneer is playing well.
Is the LED lit up ?
DIY FREE ZONE

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Use the opportunity to make the best upgrade ,I have ever made.

Upgrade the transformer, minimum 150va . But Im of the opinion you can ear increases. I use 500va.

Put the transformer, capacitors and rectifier in a separate box. Umbically attach to the boards left in the original box.
Sit back ,listen and prepare for expletives.
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post:
Lindsayt (Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:36 pm)

floydfan

The LED doesn't light up. Sounds like a lot of work, Daniel, but will investigate the cost etc when I get the word from Tomasz. I must say that I am impressed by the sound I was getting from my PL71 and the Denon cartridge. I have just put my Hitachi turntable , which the doc put me on and my second P1 which is set up for a mm cartridge. on to my A20 mark 1 and my A80 mark 2. I must admit this is a much weaker system but it will do till September.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Assuming everything's new

£30-£70 transformer depending on va
£10 for 2 10,000uf caps
£2 rectifier

£2 for 3 core wire to umbillically connect.

You need a box for the power supply , any old equipment chassis will do. Put the power supply in the chassis. Attach the 3 wires to the + ,- and ground of the power supply.

At the phono end attach the 3 wire of the umbilical. Make sure the same wires are connected to the + - and ground.

If you haven't now got a phono amp to rival any , pack it up and I'll buy it of you .

Ps. I did all of this with 1 hand/arm , so don't tell me you can't , I'll send you photos , it's simply a question of copying
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post (total 2):
Lindsayt (Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:37 pm) • antonio66 (Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:56 am)

floydfan

Sounds like a good idea. I would be grateful for some more information on how you did the work and where to get the parts. It may also solve my present problem as ,on reflection, the problem with my phono 1 is likely to be power related. Cheers for that.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Transformers hardly EVER fail. It will be rectifier or caps or a solder joint come adrift.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
Lindsayt (Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:37 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

floydfan

I might take the lid off and take a peek. I assume it will have the same glue system as used in the other components.