Phono 1 MC

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: Phono 1 MC

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

At front of caps ( assuming your sat with it facing you)

Put the bar which connects the caps together across and solder to the negative connection of 1 cap and positive connection of 2 cap .

In the middle solder the orange and red transformer wire which you have soldered together .
Last edited by Daniel Quinn on Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel Quinn

If you want to measure on multimeter to make sure everything's okay.
1. You can measure the AC voltage , bridge rectifier black terminal and orange/red wire. Bridge rectifier yellow and orange/red .

2.dc voltage . Bridge rec left front and orange )red . Br right rear and orange/red.

You can also measure after caps . Put + terminal on positive on cap 1 and negative on red/orange

Repeat for cap 2 , this time put + probe on negative terminal of cap 2.

Then get 3 wire cable. Strip enough back. I'll assume is mains cable. Put brown to cap 1 + terminal and solder. Blue to cap 2 negative terminal .

Yellow attach to the end of the bar .

floydfan

Unread post by floydfan »

Thanks for the help. One question for the time being, do I have to remove the rectifier and capacitors from the P1? I was just intending to disconnect them and leave in the box as they seem well and truly stuck down.

Daniel Quinn

You will need to disconnect everything that connected to them both and make sure Nothing touches them.

The capacitors are easy to take out.

floydfan

OK

Daniel Quinn

Take of the bar that links the caps to rca sockets at the RCA end . And dessolder the bulb wires .
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post:
michalakim (Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:57 pm)

Wonfor14
Great Britain

Unread post by Wonfor14 »

karatestu wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:12 pm Transformers hardly EVER fail. It will be rectifier or caps or a solder joint come adrift.
I had a 100KVA BT battery charger 3 phase one go to heaven in smoke, the cap and Thyristor Bridge was OK but the huge spanner the twit from BT dropped on the BusBar was dead to, whoops

The past of this toy:-
[https://www.aegps.com/en/products/dc-sy ... otect-8-r/][/url]

Good days working for them.
These users thanked the author Wonfor14 for the post:
karatestu (Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:34 pm)

floydfan

I received the transformer today. Thanks again, I am impressed by how cleanly you removed it. I made a complete mess of it. i won't be able to do anything this weekend as I am having my two sisters, one of my brothers and their partners visiting. I haven't seen them for over a year so should be fun.

floydfan

Karatestu I have been checking up on transformers and you could be right as a few of the transformers I have looked at have a thermal fuse in their primary windings marked as TCO in the circuit diagrams. I suppose it may protect against fire but I can see no way of repairing it.

floydfan

Daniel, I put the transformer in and it gave , by my meter, 60V ac to the rectifier and the output to the regulator is 79V dc. I will connect up to the turntable and let you know how it goes. I probably won't manage to start on the upgrade for a while as I am going down to Bristol to get re-acquainted with my 3 grandchildren. I will keep you updated with my progress.